Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Lifeline Batteries?

We are planning to purchase 2 new batteries for our '06 30' Classic TT. For our other trailers, we always purchased Interstate batteries and have been very satisfied with that brand, etc. However, we recently read about LIFELINE batteries and would like to hear of anyone's experience with this brand. The cost is much higher, but batteries are closed cell and said to last for many years. Advice? Thanks!
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tex4Fun View Post
We are planning to purchase 2 new batteries for our '06 30' Classic TT. For our other trailers, we always purchased Interstate batteries and have been very satisfied with that brand, etc. However, we recently read about LIFELINE batteries and would like to hear of anyone's experience with this brand. The cost is much higher, but batteries are closed cell and said to last for many years. Advice? Thanks!
Victoria
I would NOT buy an expensive battery if you have not changed your converter/charger to a three stage unit. The factory converter/charger literally cooks the batteries.

Upgrading the converter/charger costs about $240, takes about 30-45 minutes to swap out and then, if you get the more expensive batteries, they will not be ruined prematurely.

I know there are benefits to the Lifeline vs the Interstate batts, but given that I carry a small generator, the benefits of the more expensive batteries isn't really for me going to pay off as I can buy 2 sets of Interstates for one set of Lifeline. Not saying Lifelines aren't better...clearly the engineering is far better, but it all comes down to knowing if you want to spend the $$$ for it. Clearly without a converter charger swap, it isn't.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
I put a 27 series Lifeline in my 71 safari and have been very happy with it. I did upgrade the 12V. system. I made the change because the battery is placed under my Daughters bed and did not like the idea of a battery gasing off. The venting setup left alot to be desired. I did have a little sticker shock but I bought directly from lifeline at quite a savings compared to a middle man.They also shipped free.Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tex4Fun View Post
Victoria
Victoria,

A trailer such as yours can surely benefit from a set of Lifeline Batteries, or the other high end brand, which is Odyssey. Having used them both, I wouldn't even bother with Interstate or other wet cells any more. Odyssey/Lifeline life expectancy is much longer, up to 10 years with proper charging etiquette, and about 7 years with occasional abuse.
They charge up 20% faster, and are able to absorb the shock from complete discharge. There is no maintenance needed, and the batteries do not outgas to the extend that it is harmful to humans or pets. The batteries still need ventilation, though, they should not be installed in an unvented enclosure.
The price is definitely much higher, so if money is your only objective, then wet cells for less than $ 100.00 are probably your best bet. However, if quality and longevity means anything to you, then Odyssey or Lifeline would be my first choice.

Uwe Salwender
Area63productions.com
Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Uwe is correct. I would purchase flooded batteries if I were streching my dollor and didn't care about maintenence or charge times.
Its really that simple when it comes to AGM, they cost a lot and do only what they do and nothing more. Fast charge and maintenence free long life but upfront kick in the butt.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
On a 100ah battery, is the safe ah rating actually 50? In other words, if the recommendation is not to discharge batteries below 50% capacity, should one purchase a 200ah battery to safely get 10 hrs of power at 10amp draw per hr??

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote