Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiamold View Post
I guess we could continue to go back and forth about this but lets not. Bottom line is they are outright lying. They say American Owned and Operated. THEY ARE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY! Straight Up Liars, I won't deal with them.
Looks like someone missed their geography class. Last time I checked Canada Mexico, Central America and all of South America were part of the Americas.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
My DC cigarette plug is for loads under 8 AMPS.
The inverter to power the TV would demand between 8.33 - 16.67 AMPS (excluding losses).
I would need a 300-400 Watt inverter. Use a Pure Sine Wave inverter (more expensive) instead of a Modified Sine Wave inverter to avoid RF interference.
I would have to hardwire the inverter to the battery or the breaker panel. Use the shortest cable run possible between the battery and inverter. The cable run from the inverter to TV can be longer.
To watch a long TV show, movie or a football game will require a sufficiently sized battery bank. A couple Group 24 or 27 batteries would probably be insufficient for a 3-4 hour football game.
I use my Honda EU generator for the TV/DVD operation. I've ruled out the inverter for the TV operation because of the battery requirement.
Obviously "cigarette plug" is a slip of the tongue. But some folks have. Even though a auto type cigarette lighter will fit it will pop fuses, fry wires and maybe worser.

In response to some other posts on this thread I tried Akai and Audiovox 12v TV/DVD combos. The TV part was fine but the DVD drive was junk. I got some good advice though at the electronics store. Get an extended warranty.

So now I have a 22" Sharp 120v model. So far no problems. It draws 60 watts. Using the electricty 101 formula watts= volts x amps My TV uses 5 amps.

I have a cheap 400watt modifed sine inverter. It has a built in alarm if the voltage drops below 10.5. It has a cooling fan which is annoying until you zone it out. I could have gone with a smaller inverter and not have the fan. I plug it into my 12v "cigarette plug" with a 10' cord with no problems.

I have a Universal 4B AGM 200 amp hours battery. I can watch TV all weekend long if I am careful with my lights. I don't even bring my Honda for anything less than 3 days.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
BTW. Graduated with honors.
Happy trails all
How many box tops did that take?

If you go back and study geography you will see that everything between the Atlantic and Pacific are the Americas. Now if you want to distinguish the United States of America from the rest of the 2 continents you have to be a bit more explicit.

You may not like it but as far as truth in advertising is concerned they are correct in their statement "American Owned"

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
residents of the USA have 'acquired' the term "American" to mean the "United States". i don't think we're correct and i think it is part of our attitude that makes us resented by other countries. the world does not revolve around us.
i am a proud citizen of the USA.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Gotta side with Joe on this one. Although technically correct when have you EVER heard or seen a Canadian company describe a product made in Canada as anything but Canadian made. Anything made in Canada comes with the Red maple leaf and a MADE IN CANADA sticker, How about a Mexican or South American product described as made in America. It may be technically correct but when it says MADE IN AMERICA I also think U.S. And other countries resent us for a whole host of reasons some valid some not.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
So I guess as long as a country is connected to the states those in that country are all Americans. I don't think so. They are not Americans and therefore they are NOT American owned and operated. No geography lesson required.

BTW. Graduated with honors.

Happy trails all
They certainly think they are. They will be very disappointed when I inform them of your decision.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
. It may be technically correct but when it says MADE IN AMERICA I also think U.S. And other countries resent us for a whole host of reasons some valid some not.
I may be missing something as I don't get out much, but I don't think I have ever seen a label that said "MADE IN AMERICA". "Made in USA" is what I expect to see when products are made in my country. Am I wrong?

In Peru, Madeinusa is a fairly common female name, inspired from clothing labels from the USA.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
when have you EVER heard or seen a Canadian company describe a product made in Canada as anything but Canadian made.
That's exactly what started this whole discussion.

A Canadian/American company states on their web site - American Owned, American Made.

Carol
Old 08-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Bottom line is they are outright lying. They say American Owned and Operated. THEY ARE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY! Straight Up Liars, I won't deal with them.
Their domain is registered through Domain Privacy Group. It's a company that holds domains and handles the insane amount of marketing, spam, identify theft and scam's targeted at domain owners. It is Domain Privacy Group's physical location listed in the whois search (and they are in Canada).

This type of registrar proxy service also guards your domain from being hijacked, auto renews it for you in case you let it lapse, usually for a few dollars a year when you renew your registration.

I'm not endorsing DPG, I actually use a different company for the same service.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
"TV, hair appliances, computer, extra fans, etc."

Truth! That's why I bought the Honda EU2000i generator.
BINGO!!!

Why do we call it Boondocking?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I only buy "Made in the North Pole" products.... That's why my girlfriend says I have too many toys.....
Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Getting back to the original thread, you can buy a 20-24" LED TV at Walmart for less than $200. 75 watts and runs on 12VDC. You need cut off the power supply and attach the cigar plug available at Radioshack.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have had to rewire several of the Airstream 12v outlets when I actually tried to run something that drew power on them. The airstream does not have much wall thickness to clear the 12v sockets so they used a really weak outlet with very small wires. Not much fun when you wake up in the middle of the night with your CPAP unit off and smoke coming out of the wall outlet.