Old 07-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Hi fotoman... my local Airstream dealer had a highly upgraded show unit on the lot with a 2-inch extended battery box...they cut the bottom out and added 2 inches ...rewelded it and painted it...looks perfect I had them do the same to mine.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman1527 View Post
Thank you for your response!

I see that you added height to the top of your battery box:

"I mitered the corners and put small L brackets inside the channel for stiffness, then attached it to the top of the battery box with sheet metal screws (or pop rivets) then attached the original top of the box to the new frame."

If I add height on my flying cloud 27 battery box - AT ALL! - it will block access to the storage locker that sits next to the battery compartment. I hope you can see that in the enclosed picture.

I'm wondering if I put two of the largest batteries that can fit in the box as is that will dramatically increase my boondocking capabilities to a similar extent as using the Trojans. For example, a local battery store is recommending a pair of Group 31 Deep Cycle batteries, arguing they will give me "a considerable upgrade." They fit. I have to get the specs to compare. Has anyone gone that route? Do you have an opinion on the two choices? Thanks!!!!
Yes, those Airstreams with the front door compartment cannot use the raise the box height solution. They could use the lower the bottom system as shown in the other posts. I think the lower the bottom solution is quite a good one where it is needed.

You can shoehorn two group 27's into the original battery box, with some minor metal work, but I don't think group 31's will fit. Golf cart batteries have been made in one standard size for years and years, and there are (to my knowledge) no alternative sizes with the same capacity and that are true deep cycle batteries.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
To the point - why not just add an inch or two in height to the battery box, I took that issue up with Airstream HQ tech support, and the answer I got was that an overwhelming number of AS users just use their rigs on shore power. I took that to mean that not enough folks had asked for it. She also said that there was no great weight concern about increasing the box slightly to accommodate the larger batteries, and that I was free to do that. Of course, their engineers might take a different view, but that's what a tech rep told me.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman1527 View Post
To the point - why not just add an inch or two in height to the battery box, I took that issue up with Airstream HQ tech support, and the answer I got was that an overwhelming number of AS users just use their rigs on shore power. I took that to mean that not enough folks had asked for it. She also said that there was no great weight concern about increasing the box slightly to accommodate the larger batteries, and that I was free to do that. Of course, their engineers might take a different view, but that's what a tech rep told me.
We need to let Airstream know that there are a significant number of us who do boondock and would like an option of a decent battery system, a decent converter/charger, a decent solar system and good capacity water and holding tanks. (my FC 20 has all of 23 gal fresh water capacity). What do I get instead? An over complex radio/TV/sound system I don't want, need or use and tinted windows so dark I have to have lights on with any day less than brilliant sunshine. Grumble, grumble. Give us an option at least. Call it the Boondock option.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
The new 2016's come equipped with an upgraded larger battery box. They can probably be obtained through Airstream.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My solution,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	244445  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Do any group 31 deep cycle batteries fit into box w/o mod?

The interior dimensions of my battery box are 15” long x 9/5” deep x 14” wide.

Battery Giant has a Deka DP31DT Group 31 Deep Cycle battery. The dimension of that Deka battery are the following: Length 13"; Width 6 3/4"; Height 9 1/2 - so that one should fit. the Deka has a little bit more than 100Ah.

Another battery that would appear to fit the case now is the Trojan 31-AGM, a glass mat option, which has 100 ah 20 hr rate, and at a size of 13.42 l x 6.81 w x 9.18 h. The Trojan 31xhs 130 ah is another option

However, the amp hour rate of these options that fit today would seem to be dwarfed by the battery of choice for so many on this forum: the Trojan-105 - 225 ah 20 hr rate. Trojan recommends the 105 RE, which has similar stats. This battery requires an alteration to the battery box, and I've been having trouble finding someone who will do it.

I plan to have both a solar and propane generator system, relying first on solar, so I am thinking I'd do well to wait to find someone who will enlarge the box and get the Trojan 105 RE!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #22
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Group 31's fit?
I've got photos (somewhere) of group 31s in a 25' FC FB. It took minimal mod as I recall. A bit of hacksaw and grinding work, then re riveting the lid hinge.

Found it...

Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We built a custom stainless steel battery shelf and cover when we had four Lifeline 6ct 6Vdc 300 amp-hour batteries (92 pounds each battery) mounted above the original battery box that house the disc brake pump and controller for the Classic. That battery box assembly and four batteries was removed when we changed to one lithium iron phosphate 600 amp-hour battery that is mounted beside the Magnum under the Classic's front sofa. We dropped, the tongue weight nearly 200 pounds.

We are mounting a 300 amp-hour rated lithium iron phosphate battery in front of the street side wheel well under the side sofa along with the Magnum MSH3012 converter/inverter. This new battery actually weighs less than the two stock batteries that are removed from the front battery box. That existing battery box will become the storage space for the plastic wheel chocks and other very light small stuff.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote