Old 10-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
4 amps at 120 volts needs 40 to 50 amps at 12 volt for the inverter. volts times amps equals watts

Nmengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #30
1991 29' Excella
Smiths Station , Alabama
Rewired my inverter to accept main shore power cable. When traveling turn off battery charger, fridge and other outlets work great-- for 9years so far.

delmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
It may be that your pilot light is blowing out going down the road. This happened to us almost all the time, until recently a baffle was installed--simply a piece of aluminum plate placed close to the burner area. On our 1200 mile trip home from Washington to LA, no problems. In very high ambient heat, reefer temp may go up to low 40's--other posts on how they are only so efficient and you can only expect so much cooling below ambient temperature. But quite acceptable, especially as compared to having it go off all the time!

Lewster is quite knowledgable about running the refrigerator on electric only. He actually prefers a marine type, electric only refrigerator as it is way more efficient and will keep temperatures low regardless off ambient temps. But you would have to have ample battery bank and solar to recharge (if not generator) for boon docking. so unless you're using generator or have a seriously hefty solar/battery set up, stay with what you have and just add a good baffle!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
We turn ours on to automatic when we head south for the winter and don't touch it until we turn it off in the spring. If you can't do likewise, something's wrong with your frig.
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #33
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
When my grand parents had an airstream when I was a kid, we traveled all over using gas to the fridge. But here is a question: Are the batteries in the airstream not being charged by the tow vehicle while running down the road as this would overcome the battery drain ... no? Be gentle, we are still new the the Airstream. D
The Jarretts
Nashville, Tennessee
2015 25' Eddie Bauer
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Gas ok while moving??

After reading some of the Newbie books I was convinced that using LP on fridge was a no no while traveling. We are heading out next week on first real travel trip in our 98 Excella. It will be long drive and I would like to run fridge if it is safe. Also, if there are laws against it. How do you find that out? Thanks, Real Newbie.
Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There are people that will quote you a law against anything you can think of. They are generally quoting laws they would like to see rather than laws that exist. In RVing they range from No Campfires to the type of toilet paper you use.

If there was a restriction on the use of your frig while on the road that warning sign on the frig would be almost as big as the frig.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
This discussion really piqued my curiosity. I had also read many times that you "should" not run with your propane open. I wanted to know "who says". After searching multiple terms on Google, I found that much of the regulatory information out there only applies to propane used in commerce or by marketers, not the average Joe/Jane. Some of the RV sites commented that you should be sure to "close your tanks before traveling", but gave no rationale or reference to a legal requirement.

The first link below is the best information I could find related to actual laws (Unfortunately, it is a bit dated.) The second link is just some food for thought that might be helpful as we each make our own decision about "Open or closed?"

2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada

Traveling with Propane RV Fire Safety RV Travel

Safe travels!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Tow vehicle charge not enough

Originally Posted by nashrover View Post
When my grand parents had an airstream when I was a kid, we traveled all over using gas to the fridge. But here is a question: Are the batteries in the airstream not being charged by the tow vehicle while running down the road as this would overcome the battery drain ... no? Be gentle, we are still new the the Airstream. D

Gently speaking.....Yes, the tow vehicle normally provides power to the trailer while towing. The problem is, the amount of power that makes it through to the trailer is usually less than what the fridge needs.

I have a good-size fridge (I think 7 cu feet) in my Airstream. It runs on 120 volt electric or on gas. I also have an inverter in my trailer. I have run the fridge on 120 volts from the inverter; this requires about 32 amps of 12 volt power. Typical tow vehicle charge lines are set up with 15 or 20 amp fuses, and usually deliver less. The one time I measured current flow from the tow vehicle to my trailer, the most I saw was eight amps.

The net is that with a large fridge, you wind up drawing a lot of power from your batteries, even with the tow vehicle connected.

On the other hand, with a small fridge, it might work out. I have a tiny (dorm sized) 3-way (120 volt, 12 volt, gas) fridge in my 13 foot Scamp trailer. That fridge draws 12 amps on 12 volt power. Some tow vehicles can provide 12 amps, so for them, it would be OK.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member
2016 28' Pendleton
Granbury , Texas
For those having flame outs. There is a air mixture adjustment you might need to adjust some. It is a long tube that has a slit in it located right before the burner. Has one phillips set screw. Move that back or forward towards burner will increase or decrease the flame. High altitude will need a adjustment here. Less oxygen at altitude. Might even help blow outs at low altitude. I've had to adjust mine on my refrigerators and hot water heaters in several RV's.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member
1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
So driving with fridge "on" LP is safe?

Still unsure of correct answer. Is it safe (and legal) to drive with LP GAS running the fridge? If pilot goes out what is downside? Sorry to keep this thread raveling.... 😏
Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It is legal.

Most believe it to be safe, as I do.

Some do not.

Ultimately, it is up to you.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Mine always gets hot on LP while traveling. Very frustrating
?? I replaced my '06 Dometic with a new one last year. The new one is different. There is a 10-15 minute switch off relay for fueling. It is described in the manual as a safety precaution while traveling that, when the ignition is turned off, the system will turn off for a period of time. I do not have mine hooked up but it is there as is the third hook up terminal. Also, it is set to shut off if interrupted UNLIKE my older one which ran no matter what. Obviously there is some kind of gas shut off in a time out or on this fueling delay so the question about the pilot light or flame is answered at least on newer models.

Make sure you DO NOT have the trailer power on STORE. Keep it in the on position.
Make sure the gas is on. Turn the fridge on and stay with it. You will hear the igniter clicking and eventually, if lighting is successful, stop. The LED readout will show a dot at LP. If 60 is flashing it did not light and timed out. I have checked mine most times when stopping. It worked flawlessly all summer but when I first got it I would find it shut off every time I stopped. I cannot explain it only report it.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member
2002 22' International
Corvallis , Oregon
Using invertor to provide 120 vac to refrigerator while traveling

My Dometic refer in 2002 AS uses 175 watts divide that by 12 you get 15 amps. I provide power to my 300 watt investor with a 10 gauge two wire harness, that's plenty if my invertor is max'd out.
The only power from my TT electrical panel is 120 vac to a relay that controls 12 vdc from TV batteries to the inverter and a 12 vdc relay sending power switching power to the refer circuit.
The only problem I'm having is switching the refer from gas to ac or off to ac. Sounds like refer controls problems to me.

boblind is offline   Reply With Quote