Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
WA,

TETO.....It's all about our freedom to waste as we see fit.

...don't forget to keep the 12v's as back-up.
Redundancy is part of the fun.

Bob
Repetitiously, repetitively, redundant - I like that.

mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aolani View Post
To be clear, I was pretty precise in my explanation of the series of events... The two 6V batteries do make an exceptional difference as opposed to the stock 12V ones.

In summary (see original post for specific), we did all the other stuff first - switched to LEDs, installed solar. Still have a pretty substantial drain on batteries overnight - after a confirmed full charge.

THEN, we switched to the new batteries, doing nothing else - and overnight noticed the difference.

In combination, it all adds up, each of the various modifications. But it's clear - and I leave the math and disagreements to others who have tried these specific steps - that the two 6V Lifetime batteries provide much better results for those, like me, who wish to maximize non-generator time.

Sure, they're expensive, but so are Airstreams. I suspect for a reason.
so I'm curious, did you ever work out what was running down your 12v batteries overnight so quickly ? I have a 4yr old single deep cycle 12v battery which has never run out on me, but only ever camp for about 3 or 4 nights ... never pushed it to a week or so. I have LED's throughout, so could run for a year on that. Don't have a furnace but do need a new fridge, I read that new style fridges need power? My '72 is strictly gas as no electronics. I will be dry camping more often and for longer periods, so just now considering 6v and a portable solar panel ....

nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a couple of 6v golf cart batteries that I got at Samís Club for about $80 each. Mine are 6 years old and doing fine. I am sure that Lifelines are better but I am happy with my cheap batteries.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Answering the question of did we ever determine the main cause of the phantom current draw in our trailer... Yes and No (sigh)...

I was out boon docking last year and after a cold, largely-unsuccessful (but fun) morning fishing in southern Oregon I decided why not disconnect everything from the battery and measure the incremental current draw as I reconnected devices. Why not, right?

I was disappointed to find that no isolatable electrical circuit (as I reconnected) drew substantially more than other circuits. No smoking gun. I no longer have the ampere measurements, but as I remember the ones that caused the most, surprising draw were:

a) The factory Airstream radio, which of course never completely powers off. It draws current keeping its guts energized, and when "on" driving the LED display (we have a 2010 model). The subwoofer also seems to draw a bit of quiescent current (meaning when not actively in use).

b) The LP gas detector also drew a bit of un-avoidable current. Not much, but I was surprised. Can't quite leave that disconnected, though.

c) The fridge/freezer, even when on "propane" setting draws current from the display and controller, I suppose. About twice as much as the LP detector and about 1/2 that (I think) of the radio.

d) As a test I turned on my rear-section of [LED] overhead lights, kinda for a test. Not surprisingly they don't draw much. I seem to remember it was about what I expected.

So that's about it - I just did the awkward shrug and put everything back together. I left the experiment with the belief that our Airstream isn't optimized for low quiescent current drain. I wish I could remember the total phantom power drain, but I think it was in the 2-3A range. A funny side note though - my first measurements read negative cumulative) draw, which I at first attributed to a beer-induced reverse connection of the ammeter. And while I could easily do something like that I doubted it. So I checked back out at the battery and you guessed it, the solar panel was slightly charging, even on a cold overcast Oregon day. A good reminder to disconnect the panels when working on the DC.

Sorry no insightful answer.
WBCCI #2242
Santa Clara Unit (CA)
Aolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #75
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Funny, Eric, about the potential for beer-induced polarity swap. Yep, wondered about iffy results sometimes here too. How're your 2010 6v batteries holding up? Or did I miss a post in the middle of the thread about them? I'm entering year six on my pair of 6v batteries, they seem to be doing as well as ever.

About the minimum standing load with fridge on and propane detector connected, our 2005 Airstream seems to run about 1.4 amps. My radio, I think, goes all the way off when I hold the off button until display shuts down. At least the radio's below the threshold of my 0.1 amp sensitivity on my trimetric 2025.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote