Old 04-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
1978 Argosy 30
Fletcher , North Carolina
IOTA Converter Trips Breaker; Not Sure Where to Start

Hi folks,

I recently bought a `78 Argosy 30. There are a couple of significant issues that I'm working through with the first being the battery converter.

The previous owner replaced the system, using an IOTA DLS-55. While doing it, they ran a separate 30amp out the back.

The trouble is, I can't plug the converter directly into the 120v system within the Airstream. It flips the breaker immediately, and I can't figure out the order in which to troubleshoot this. Now, I have to keep switching the two plugs, which drains the battery 100%, and has now resulted in a nearly dead battery.

I'm not sure where to start with this one. I'm trying to tackle this logically, troubleshooting one component at a time, but I'm not sure where to start on.

The only other issues with the electrical are: the hot water heater (not original) blows a fuse when I try and use the electric power (works fine on LP); the fridge flips the breaker immediately when on electric (works fine on LP).

Any suggestions or suggestions on first troubleshooting steps? Thanks!

tommy_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you bypass the trailer electrical system and plug the converter into a separate extension cord what happens? It sounds like there are too many loads on a single breaker as a result of modifications and additional toys like an electric hot water heater. You can get a thing called and amp probe from Harbor Freight and it will tell you what the AC load is on a given circuit. I expect you have some wiring issues but you could have a bad converter that is shorting the system. Most converters will shut off and protect themselves if they encounter a short or too much load.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
1978 Argosy 30
Fletcher , North Carolina
Well, I didnt think it would work, but they're both plugged into the same outlet right now.

I dont think the breaker panel is overloaded, as it flips instantly after plugging the converter up and everything on the 120v system is turned off.
tommy_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Assuming you do not know where the separate 30amp line is going, can you disconnect it and then trying to plug in the converter? If the converter still trips the breaker I would start looking at the impedance of the converter or find some troubleshooting guides on the net or contact the manufacturer directly.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Go for the simple first. Are your breakers original? If so replacing them is an easy fix and may remedy the problem. Check the polarity of the connections from the converter to the battery. Yes, it does happen.
That your fridge is tripping the breaker leans me in the direction of a worn out breaker.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote