Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #15

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Indeed a light switch might have a short life. Perhaps try an automotive switch and a Hell's foglight relay. Thus is a cheap and easy solution to your needs.
I think you mean a Hella relay... autocorrect gotcha?

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Indeed should be Hella

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
napa carries a number of properly rated switches. i would use a switch rated for the maximum possible draw of the unit because you never know what might get plugged into the inverter.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
OK, I've been researching this subject about AC and DC switches, and my intent of this post is not to argue the point, but to say that my statement of yes you can use an AC switch for a DC circuit was correct for the stated application because the OP stated, "This outlet will be powered by a small inverter to run LED outdoor lights and a radio. If in fact the inverter is a "small inverter" of say 100 watts, the current draw would be in the 12.5 amp range (assuming 75% efficiency). However, if the inverter is much larger and under much more load demanding more current, the AC rated switch would be a bad choice and would quickly fail.

This is some reference data I have found:

Why cant we use an AC switch for DC applications?

You can use an AC switch for DC applications. However, you may need to derate the switch.

If a switch is used in an AC circuit & that switch is opened under load, an arc will be produced. This arc will quickly self extinguish as the sine wave passes through zero point. This arcing will cause minimal damage to the switch contacts.

If a switch is used in a DC circuit & that switch is opened under load, an arc will be produced & will exist for a lot longer than an arc caused by an AC voltage (since the DC voltage is constant - not alternating). This longer arc causes significant damage to the switch contacts.

Mechanical switches do not open instantaneously, Instead, dielectric strength builds as the mechanical contacts of the switch separate. Therefore, there will be a short arc until the dielectric strength is sufficient to hold off the driving voltage.

Eg. A switch with an AC rating of 100 volts at 10 amps could possibly be used with a 25 volt 10 amp DC circuit.

in summation, As most AC switches these days for 120 VAC home use are rated for 20 amps, such a switch would easily carry 14 VDC at 12.5 amps. for the OP's stated intended use.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. I will spend the $5 for a DC switch. I like the PowerPack idea too.
jlsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #20
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr

Like Atomic suggested, we use high amperage relays to both reduce wire size for switch leg and to allow small switch rating for up to 40amp load. Great article on relays at this page.

It helps too if we don't turn on the inverter-fed loads until after we turn on the inverter. We learned this the hard way. We failed a relay by switching the inverter with the inverter loaded, apparently fused or burned the contacts.

We similarly use a relay to control the feed circuit for two ham radios (25 amps), and added three switched relays in the truck, one each for the air horn solenoid, the air compressor, and an accessory circuit with ham radio and tire monitor. These are all small Bosch type relays, like the Hella ones.

One change we made, we soldered an IN4002 diode across the 12vdc control circuit terminals to serve as quenching diode or spike suppressor. Because we are serving costly electronics with the relay circuit, it just makes sense to put a $0.50 diode across the relay control terminals, unless you buy a relay with suppression already built-in.

Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote