Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
ShinyToo

2011 25' FB International
2013 Interstate Coach
Franklin , Wisconsin
Inverter Switch 25FB

2011 25 FB.....never have had to use battery power during first two years owning an airstream. Recently, on a really hot night at a State Park when a Thunder Storm knocked out all AC in the park, we attempted to use the TV and an outlet to power a room fan. We could do neither. In reading the owners manual, there is supposed to be an inverter switch under the Monitor Panel. No switch is marked "inverter", and have tried with "on/off" switch "on" but no AC power? Am I looking in the right place to turn on the inverter?.
Ggroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The inverter is a factory option, and the switch is placed under the monitor panel. There are also special electrical outlets near the televisions marked "Inverter".

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
ShinyToo

2011 25' FB International
2013 Interstate Coach
Franklin , Wisconsin
Thanks....just noticed in the owners manual it is an option. I assume I can have my dealer install the option?
Ggroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggroth View Post
Thanks....just noticed in the owners manual it is an option. I assume I can have my dealer install the option?
Yes and no, the actual option with the separate outlets would require removing the inside skins (damaging who knows what) and cost $$$$$ well might be cheaper to sell your trailer and buy one with it.

Just adding an inverter and using an extension cord is easy and for many DIY.

Also you could get it set it up with an automatic transfer switch to change 1 or more circuits over to the inverter. This more of a dealer thing then DIY.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Yes and no, the actual option with the separate outlets would require removing the inside skins (damaging who knows what) and cost $$$$$ well might be cheaper to sell your trailer and buy one with it.

Just adding an inverter and using an extension cord is easy and for many DIY.

Also you could get it set it up with an automatic transfer switch to change 1 or more circuits over to the inverter. This more of a dealer thing then DIY.
Actually, there are several ways to run wiring thru an Airstream without removing any interior skins. We do this all the time when running charge lines from a solar array on the roof forward to the batteries by using some proprietary materials that I have custom manufactured.

PM me if you would like to expand your wiring possibilities.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Need it? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggroth View Post
2011 25 FB.....never have had to use battery power during first two years owning an airstream. Recently, on a really hot night at a State Park when a Thunder Storm knocked out all AC in the park, we attempted to use the TV and an outlet to power a room fan. We could do neither. In reading the owners manual, there is supposed to be an inverter switch under the Monitor Panel. No switch is marked "inverter", and have tried with "on/off" switch "on" but no AC power? Am I looking in the right place to turn on the inverter?.
Here's a consideration - in 2 years it was never a problem. So how badly do you really need an inverter? First your fantastic fans ARE running on 12 volt all the time. If you don't have power open your windows, and turn your fan(s) on exhaust - you'll have a great breeze. It's not hard to find fans that run on 12 volt, so you could also add one of those to your gear. There are also TV's that run on 12 volt, and with flat screens they aren't the power pigs they used to be, but heck, an IPAD or any e-reader might be a more versatile solution.

One thing you really have to consider is will the inverter kill the batteries if the power is off too long? The answer is "absolutely" especially if you use anything that produces a lot of heat. Electric coffee maker, induction cooker, electric skillet, etc. Of course you can just LOOK at your gas burners and go - duh! when you realize that you don't need to use any of those appliances.

All that said, my new EB has the added inverter, AND solar panel to recharge the battery... and I've never thought about using either of them yet. And of course I still have a Honda 3000 Handi generator too. Talk about stuff, stuff and more stuff. Sometimes stuff is just more crap to haul along on a camping trip.

Don't worry, be happy. Paula
Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2

Bob
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use the factory inverter/solar for television and laptop computers often when traveling without electrical hookups, but if it was not already there I would probably use a portable inverter plugged into the nearest dc outlet, large enough for the tv.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Here's a consideration - in 2 years it was never a problem. So how badly do you really need an inverter? First your fantastic fans ARE running on 12 volt all the time. If you don't have power open your windows, and turn your fan(s) on exhaust - you'll have a great breeze. It's not hard to find fans that run on 12 volt, so you could also add one of those to your gear. There are also TV's that run on 12 volt, and with flat screens they aren't the power pigs they used to be, but heck, an IPAD or any e-reader might be a more versatile solution.

One thing you really have to consider is will the inverter kill the batteries if the power is off too long? The answer is "absolutely" especially if you use anything that produces a lot of heat. Electric coffee maker, induction cooker, electric skillet, etc. Of course you can just LOOK at your gas burners and go - duh! when you realize that you don't need to use any of those appliances.

All that said, my new EB has the added inverter, AND solar panel to recharge the battery... and I've never thought about using either of them yet. And of course I still have a Honda 3000 Handi generator too. Talk about stuff, stuff and more stuff. Sometimes stuff is just more crap to haul along on a camping trip.

Don't worry, be happy. Paula
Paula,

I agree with your basic premiss but just as a counterpoint, some folks like to be off-grid and not avail themselves of the use of shore power (not readily available in the Boonies) and don't want the hassle, noise and fumes of a generator. These are the ones that opt for large solar arrays, bigger battery banks and yes.....inverters.

Inverters do draw power from the batteries, but only if they are ON (we use a cut off switch to assure that no power is going to them when not in use), and solar does a very complete job (actually one of the BEST jobs) of properly charging your batteries using temperature compensation and voltage sense along with the proper algorithms for your specific type of battery, which all but assures that you get the maximum life from your batteries.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote