Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Inverter question.

30’ 2019 Classic. There is an inverter outlet below the dinette and another that controls the tv. The tv works with the generator on but not with the generator off and the inverter on. The outlet beneath the dinette works with the generator on but not with the inverter on and the generator off. The battery is currently at 13.83 volts. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6D2DFC6-A7F5-449B-8582-5C85ADF7DC6D.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	349997  
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Generator should power the non-inverter outlets. The inverter outlets get used when the battery bank is used to provide power to the inverter and transform it to 120 volts from 12 volts. On our coach, you move the TV plug to the outlet that has power.

Now, my understanding of the solar converters is challenged, so you may not have a system with the simplistic configuration I described, but give it a try.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presitla99 View Post
30’ 2019 Classic. There is an inverter outlet below the dinette and another that controls the tv. The tv works with the generator on but not with the generator off and the inverter on. The outlet beneath the dinette works with the generator on but not with the inverter on and the generator off. The battery is currently at 13.83 volts. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
We have a 2018 30' Classic but I'm going to assume the electrical system is similar to yours.

First, all outlets in the trailer will work with shore power or generator. Only the outlet under the dinette and the one feeding the TV will work with shore power off and the inverter on.

The fact that your TV works with the generator but not with the inverter, and the fact that the outlet under the dinette works with the generator but not the inverter indicates that the red battery switch is not in the on position (or there is something wrong with the inverter) . Both the dinette outlet and the TV will work even if the battery switch is off as long as the generator is running which I think is what's happening in your case.

When you turn on the inverter from the Firefly panel do you hear the inverter fan running? If not, again, it's a sign that the battery switch isn't turned on. Give that a try.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
The battery connect switch is “on” and I can hear the inverter fan running. But no juice at the inverter outlets. Weird.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Yeah, weird. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The TV definitely should work (or at least power up) using the inverter and the dinette outlet should also be live. At this point I'd suspect a malfunction with the inverter. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Inverter question.

Does the inverter use a GFI on its outlet? If so, maybe it needs to be reset?

I'm asking because my aftermarket inverter DOES.

I'm ignorant about whether the Stock Airstream inverters have this feature or not, so don't beat me up too bad.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I don't know about the OP's 2019, but the two inverter outlets in my 2018' Classic don't have their own reset buttons.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
the victron converter /inverter has tow outputs
We run everything on L1
except the AC is on L2

when we are on battery we tell the victron system not to power L2
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
the victron converter /inverter has tow outputs
We run everything on L1
except the AC is on L2

when we are on battery we tell the victron system not to power L2

I think "whole trailer" is the best way to go with an inverter.

My inverter is set up to run everything but the charger and the air conditioner.

I don't really get why Airstream doesn't take that path. (Yeah Airstream would need to take the water heater and the fridge out of the loop too. )

Old 08-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming you have the stock inverter, it has a fuse or breaker on in for the 120V outlets. When the fuse goes, they don't work. Depending on how your inverter is wired, it is possible the fuse is only impacting the inverter side of things. If that's not it, there is a giant / expensive fuse on the input side of the inverter.

If all of that is ok, the inverter "turn on" signal comes in via a "telephone" cord from the control panel. It may have fallen out or been damaged.

Past that, either the control signal is gone ( = control system problem) or the inverter is shot. Probing the control cable with a DVM is the way to sort that out. Since you are into warranty land by then ... off to the dealer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Off to the dealer she goes

I saw no obvious fuse in the wiring near the inverter which is ind the drawer under the microwave. It would take a nimble Olympic gymnast to get into that area and I have a trip scheduled for other work at the dealership. Thanks to all for the responses.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presitla99 View Post
I saw no obvious fuse in the wiring near the inverter which is ind the drawer under the microwave. It would take a nimble Olympic gymnast to get into that area and I have a trip scheduled for other work at the dealership. Thanks to all for the responses.
Hi

The AC fuse (or breaker) is mounted on the front (or back) of the inverter it's self. There are multiple models so this is very much a "that depends" sort of thing.

The giant fuse on the DC line is over under the sink (more or less). It's encased in a plastic shroud so it's not at all clear it's a fuse when you first look at it. The black plastic snaps off and then you can use a wrench to unbolt the fuse. Best to check it with a DVM in circuit rather than pull it to check it ....

Indeed getting to all this is a bit of a pain. You need to pull the drawer under the microwave and the drawer under the sink to get at everything. Even with the drawers out it's still not very easy.

Bob
Old 08-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Assuming you have the stock inverter, it has a fuse or breaker on in for the 120V outlets. When the fuse goes, they don't work. Depending on how your inverter is wired, it is possible the fuse is only impacting the inverter side of things. If that's not it, there is a giant / expensive fuse on the input side of the inverter.

If all of that is ok, the inverter "turn on" signal comes in via a "telephone" cord from the control panel. It may have fallen out or been damaged.

Past that, either the control signal is gone ( = control system problem) or the inverter is shot. Probing the control cable with a DVM is the way to sort that out. Since you are into warranty land by then ... off to the dealer.

Bob
Just for my own education on this subject, the OP writes that he can hear the inverter fan running when activates the inverter. Can any of the potential problems listed above be taken off the table in that event or does hearing the fan run not mean anything except....there is a fan running?

Old 08-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Just for my own education on this subject, the OP writes that he can hear the inverter fan running when activates the inverter. Can any of the potential problems listed above be taken off the table in that event or does hearing the fan run not mean anything except....there is a fan running?

Yes. The DC fuse won't be blown, but an AC fuse COULD be blown.

From what Uncle Bob said it's either internal or its mounted on the outside of the case.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Hi

With no dc to the inverter, indeed the fan should not run. Of course, with no load to the inverter, the fan should not run when it's turned on.....

Bob