Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 31' Land Yacht
Fallbrook , California
Send a message via Yahoo to ccit1999
Smile Inverter Problems

Good morning everyone!!!
I have a situation that I am hoping some of you can help me figure out..
on my 99 Land Yacht when I am just on coach battery power, the only thing that I can operate is just the interior lights and furnace and water pump. Now I just recently found out that I can also run the back 13 inch tv.. The question I have for everyone is should the front TV and DVD/VCR operate as well? I know that on the newer models of RVS all the electronics can basically run off the battery and inverters..
The reason I am asking is because at night my wife needs a fan for background noise and if I could plug it into an outlet thats run by the inverter I wouldn't have to run it off a cigarette lighter inverter which drains the engine battery.
plus I also want to know whats supposed to run via coach battery and whats not. Im still new to all this RV Ownership and have a lot to learn.

Thanks
ccit1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
The owners manual would be a great resource to answer some of your questions.

If all you're doing is running the fan to generate noise, why not consider something like this to generate white noise. It's battery operated and consumes very little current.

It's always important to keep the wife happy!
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The white-noise generator with its own batteries would be a good solution if it's sufficient. If you also want the air movement, the Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze 12v fan is popular.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccit1999 View Post
Good morning everyone!!!
I have a situation that I am hoping some of you can help me figure out..
on my 99 Land Yacht when I am just on coach battery power, the only thing that I can operate is just the interior lights and furnace and water pump. Now I just recently found out that I can also run the back 13 inch tv.. The question I have for everyone is should the front TV and DVD/VCR operate as well? I know that on the newer models of RVS all the electronics can basically run off the battery and inverters..
The reason I am asking is because at night my wife needs a fan for background noise and if I could plug it into an outlet thats run by the inverter I wouldn't have to run it off a cigarette lighter inverter which drains the engine battery.
plus I also want to know whats supposed to run via coach battery and whats not. Im still new to all this RV Ownership and have a lot to learn.

Thanks
A small fan running on 12VDC will not use as much as one running on the inverter. Just turning on your inverter will consume battery power for the inverter. Find a smaller fan, or like alano says, get a white noise machine.

Televisions require their own power source, some are 115 vac input that converts to another voltage, some run on 12vdc or 115 vac. Some have their own plug with a transformer ("brick") that converts right at the plug. For some of those you can get a converter that will use 12 vdc as input and step up or step down the voltage to another DC voltage, but not AC. Only an inverter will convert it to AC and that will consume your batteries faster. Your owner's manual will tell you the power requirement, sometimes it's on the back of the TV.

We have 1 solar panel on top, that really helps extend the batteries. I also switched the lighting to LED. It's brighter, uses a lot less energy and just makes the interior just so much more cheerful.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1999 31' Land Yacht
Fallbrook , California
Send a message via Yahoo to ccit1999
Evening everyone.
Wow, so many great ideas to research!!
I have looked thru the set of manuals that comes in the owners manual.
I will go back thru and see if I can trace back that wires and see how they provided power to the back tv.
As for the white noise radio, that would work for me, but the wife loves the hum of the fan at night. we have a box fan running all night at home. (Happy Wife, Happy Life :-)
I didn't even know that Fantastic fans makes a fan that converts from 110 to 12v..
I will have to check those out, that might be the answer that we are looking for.
I have a OEM solar panel up on the roof. (it doesn't work, but was looking at replacing it to help replenish the battery drain)
Thank you all so much for helping me sort this out.
Does anybody know why there is 2 outlets up under the front dashboard. 1 is right next to the inverter, and then the other is located right next to the side of the TV Box. Ive looked in the manuals and it doesn't explain whats supposed to plug into them?
ccit1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Smart phone white noise option

We also sleep with a fan at home for white noise. But on the road, (with no 120AC for a fan), we found another option. If you have a smart phone or similar device, you can download various white noises from Amazon. There might be one that is close to the fan noise you are used to. We use one called "Brown Noise for Sleep". We plug the phone into a 12v outlet, and put it on the continual loop mode so it plays all night.

We also have the 12v portable Fantastic Fan which works great if you want more moving air, but takes more power than the phone.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote