Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Inverter issue

Hi,

I'm new to the Airstream world, having recently purchased a 2013 31 Classic with solar and 600w inverter packages. The trailer was a consignment, and although they made significant money on the sale the dealer has been no help so far. The inverter panel does not appear to be working. Whether I'm plugged in, or not, I am unable to get any response to the on/off "button". Looking under the sofa I see green and red lights on the inverter itself. I have tried the switch on the inverter, and the lights go off/on but nothing on the panel. I cannot locate a manual in the package of paperwork I received, so am unable to check proper operation. The Airstream owners manual is extremely brief in discussing the inverter.

I'm looking for any help that might be available. The dealer tells me they have called the factory, and were told it is either on or off. I'm not sure what that means in regard to the switch working or not.
ArlinV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
What model do you have?

Are the lights on the inverter blinking?
Have you tried plugging into one of the outlets to see if it's hot?

I have the WF-600T, here's information from my manual:
There are 3 LED indicators on the front panel:
Input Level
Load Level
Power status - If this light is blinking on the inverter, what is the speed of the flash?

On the inverter and on the back of the panel there are RJ-11 connectors that look like telephone lines. Are both plugged in?

Is the inverter plugged into a 110vac connection? If so, this is a pass through function and the inverter won't run, it just passes through the AC voltage to its plugs. (Ignition lockout)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If you can figure out the name of the inverter you can go to their website and down load a manual.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Here is a link to the manual for the WFCO 1000 watt inverter, which is similar to t he now discontinued 600 watt one you have.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...00-Manual1.pdf

If you google WFCO you will find their web site, and technical support pnone number for more information, and possibly a link to the exact manual you need for your 600 watt unit.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Something else occurred to me just now. There is a toggle switch on the front of the inverter. It should be down for 'remote'. If it's up it's in the power on mode and will simply provide power to the outlets, bypassing your remote button.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the Airstream world, having recently purchased a 2013 31 Classic with solar and 600w inverter packages. The trailer was a consignment, and although they made significant money on the sale the dealer has been no help so far. The inverter panel does not appear to be working. Whether I'm plugged in, or not, I am unable to get any response to the on/off "button". Looking under the sofa I see green and red lights on the inverter itself. I have tried the switch on the inverter, and the lights go off/on but nothing on the panel. I cannot locate a manual in the package of paperwork I received, so am unable to check proper operation. The Airstream owners manual is extremely brief in discussing the inverter.

I'm looking for any help that might be available. The dealer tells me they have called the factory, and were told it is either on or off. I'm not sure what that means in regard to the switch working or not.
In the standard Airstream factory inverter installation, the inverter will power a limited number of outlets that only work on the inverter. When shipped from the factory these outlets are clearly marked. In other words, not all the AC outlets in the trailer will have power when you are using the inverter. Have you identified the so-called "inverter outlets" and tried them to see if they are energized?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
What model do you have?

Are the lights on the inverter blinking?
Have you tried plugging into one of the outlets to see if it's hot?

I have the WF-600T, here's information from my manual:
There are 3 LED indicators on the front panel:
Input Level
Load Level
Power status - If this light is blinking on the inverter, what is the speed of the flash?

On the inverter and on the back of the panel there are RJ-11 connectors that look like telephone lines. Are both plugged in?

Is the inverter plugged into a 110vac connection? If so, this is a pass through function and the inverter won't run, it just passes through the AC voltage to its plugs. (Ignition lockout)
Rich,

Thanks for your response. I need to check the things you mention when I get back to it in a couple of weeks. I am storing it at our RV lot 100 miles from home.

I believe the green light was steady, and the red was blinking, but not sure now. I did not see a third indicator, but it was difficult viewing things under the couch.

I did not test the inverter outlets when power was unplugged, but I know they were powered when plugged in. We did watch some TV and video, and I connected the satellite to one of the outlets.

Now that you mention the RJ-11 connections I can see that could impact the control. I'm sure that is how the panel connects to the box itself.

Are you indicating that the inverter has a 110v cable attached that can be plugged in? I must be interpreting you incorrectly.

I had the trailer unplugged for a couple of hours while I trimmed a tree I was concerned might fall on it. During that time the solar meter dropped from 100% to less than 20%. I neglected to check the systems monitor to see what it showed though.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
If you can figure out the name of the inverter you can go to their website and down load a manual.
Michael,

Thanks. I had hoped to do that, but it was very difficult to read anything even with the drawer removed for access. I'll try again when I get back up to the trailer.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Here is a link to the manual for the WFCO 1000 watt inverter, which is similar to t he now discontinued 600 watt one you have.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...00-Manual1.pdf

If you google WFCO you will find their web site, and technical support pnone number for more information, and possibly a link to the exact manual you need for your 600 watt unit.
Idroba,

Thank you for the link. Not the most robust manual I've ever see. I cannot locate one for the 600w, so I'll call them to see what I can get.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
In the standard Airstream factory inverter installation, the inverter will power a limited number of outlets that only work on the inverter. When shipped from the factory these outlets are clearly marked. In other words, not all the AC outlets in the trailer will have power when you are using the inverter. Have you identified the so-called "inverter outlets" and tried them to see if they are energized?
Bob,

I did, in fact, identify the inverter powered outlets. I did not test them because I presumed (probably another mistake) that the inverter was not functioning because the panel did not display anything. I will test further.

Thank you.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
Something else occurred to me just now. There is a toggle switch on the front of the inverter. It should be down for 'remote'. If it's up it's in the power on mode and will simply provide power to the outlets, bypassing your remote button.
When I switched the toggle down there were no lights on on the inverter. I did not think to test the panel then. Are you indicating that the panel does not "work" when the switch is up? Do the inverter lights come on if the switch is down and you turn it on from the panel? I can find no direction in the manual for the 1000w inverter that covers this.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i found the manual at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics THANKS YOU RANDY!
http://www.bestconverter.com/assets/...f600manual.pdf
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Rich,

I did not test the inverter outlets when power was unplugged, but I know they were powered when plugged in. We did watch some TV and video, and I connected the satellite to one of the outlets.
[snip, snip]
Are you indicating that the inverter has a 110v cable attached that can be plugged in? I must be interpreting you incorrectly.
Quote:
When I switched the toggle down there were no lights on on the inverter. I did not think to test the panel then. Are you indicating that the panel does not "work" when the switch is up? Do the inverter lights come on if the switch is down and you turn it on from the panel? I can find no direction in the manual for the 1000w inverter that covers this.
The inverter is normally off. Some inverters (my 600 does) have a 110 male plug that you can connect to a 110vac source so when you're on shore power even the inverter plugs are hot. Disconnect from shore power and press the button on the control panel and the inverter comes on, making the inverter plugs hot with 110vac.

The switch on the front in the up position will turn the inverter on (bypasses the remote). In the middle position it turns it off. In the down position it allows the remote to be used (inverter is off until the remote button is pressed). Put yours in the down position and then go to the switch on the wall (mine's in the kitchen) and press the soft touch button, it should light up.

I scanned some pages from my manual but it's not uploading. I'll try tomorrow, I know they're having some attachment issues.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Let's try this way

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If these aren't clear send me a private message and I'll try to send them that way

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #16
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Hi,

Have you plugged a device into one of the outlets. On our 2012, we had the light go out on the control, but the inverter was still working.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
I thank all of you for your help. I think I understand the operation now, and need to get back to the trailer to verify. The plan was to go back on the day after Labor Day, but that may change tomorrow. We are scheduled to host beginning Sunday at Palmetto Cove. Our motorhome is in the shop again, and was supposed to be ready today or tomorrow. It's not looking good, and we may go pick up the trailer on Saturday. Bad news, and good!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Rich,

Thank you very much for the link. Makes it a lot easier to visualize.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
If these aren't clear send me a private message and I'll try to send them that way

Rich,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Just wanted to let everyone know that we had to pick up the trailer yesterday, so while we have it at home I tested the inverter. It was, in fact, in the "Power On" position. I was able to flip the switch down and get the remote panel to work. Thanks to all for your guidance.