Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Inverter for Bambi

I am considering purchasing a 1000 watt inverter for my 16' bambi, so I can run a 110 appliance while dry camping. Anything over 150 watts needs to be wired directly to the battery. Any thoughts on where I should put it, and how I should wire it? Obviously, I'd need to access the outlet, so maybe put the inverter under the dinette and cut a hole for an extension cord? Thanks for helping me think this through.
Caroline
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The inverter needs to be placed within a couple feet of the battery. You'll need some pretty heavy duty wires between the battery and inverter. The best deal is to get battery cables from an auto parts store, as they should have the correct battery connectors already spliced on (for attachment to the battery). I think these wires come in lengths up to about six feet.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
The dinette is in the front of our trailer, so very close to the battery. Not sure how I would get the wires from the inverter to the battery (especially fat ones), unless I hooked it up outside every time I needed it and ran an extension cord into the trailer. But curious: We have solar pre-wired in our trailer and are not using it. There are two "dead" wires coiled under the dinette. Can these be used for the inverter? They are attached somewhere in the DC buss box also under the dinette -- not sure how the solar wiring works or what happens inside the buss box. I assume it's just for routing things...
Old 09-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
First, what are you powering with the inverter? Do you really need a 1000 watt one? That size will take large cables to the battery, as has been noted.

Second, most Sport models only had one battery I believe. You most likely will need a second battery, especially if you really want or need such a large inverter. A second battery is advisable with any inverter which is used much, but if you are using power close to the rating of the inverter, even for short time periods, you will need more battery capacity.

Third, the solar pre wire goes to the roof, so is useless for anything other than solar panels.

So, basically my question is what are you actually going to do with this inverter. Only with that information we can help you out more.

I have a 1000 watt factory inverter in my 20' FC, and only find it's large capacity useful for making toast or running my very small microwave now and then. I have in fact put a second smaller 300 watt inverter in my rig, as it has a much lower stand by loss, and a search function so I don't have to remember to turn it on and off for the most part. It will supply all the power needed for things like the Television and DVD player, small chargeable items and so on.

You may find that a much smaller inverter is all you need, and will give you more flexibility at a lower cost to install.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I suppose an inverter could be placed under the street side dinette bench. That's pretty close to the battery. I'd drill a hole in the floor then route the heavy cables to the battery (re-read with a lot of caulk). You will need an appropiate sized 30 amp breaker between the inverter and battery. Then I'd hardwire the 120 volt out it to a dedicated outlet. Maybe add one just below the seat cushion. If you wanted then you could snake more romex all around the trailer behind the bed to the TV. It might be possible to run to the same outlet. You could add a second outlet or split the outlet such that the top plug is street power and bottom is inverter power. Just plug TV as appropriate for operation. As stated above, a TV, laptop, cell phone recharging can be done with a much smaller and lighter and less power hungry inverter.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
You will need an appropiate sized 30 amp breaker between the inverter and battery.
To supply 1000 watts from a 12 volt battery system the fuse/breaker in the 12 volt line will need to be more like 125 amps to have some headroom. Of course the wire will have to be sized to match.

W = VA or A=W/V
Old 09-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks everyone so much for your input and wise advice. My husband has a motor neuron disease has compromised his ability to swallow, so I am trying to travel with our Vitamix. The one we currently have pulls a whopping 1250 watts, but I am looking at buying the smaller 740 watt model. Wiring something semi-permanent into the trailer is beyond my skill set, so now I'm thinking about buying a portable inverter and connect it to the battery only when I need to , and just blend on the tailgate of the truck. This is the model I'm looking at. Any cautions?

EN900 Energizer Power Inverter 900 watts

or

800 Watt Power Inverter with cables by AIMS

BTW we added a second battery to our bambi, and we have a 130 watt portable solar charger.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Both of those show battery connections with clamp on cable connections, something like jumper cables but smaller. Although they may work for the short term load of the Vitamix, they may not be heavy enough or transfer enough power for the unit. I cannot tell from the photos. Certainly both of them are cheap enough to try out, especially if they can be returned. I am just a bit skeptical that a small clip on cable will be a workable solution. My inverters have always been hard wired, but now I understand the difficulty you would have with doing that. Thanks for clarifying things. Wish I was closer, I would do the install for you on a perminant basis.

Although much more expensive, you could also consider a small inverter generator, like a Honda 1000 watt unit, or even the 2000. Since you are considering only short term use, even one of the $500 to $600 knock off generators that are available from many sources, including Costco could be considered too. They weigh <50 pounds, the little Honda < 30 pounds.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I don't know whether this would meet your needs, but it might be the cheapest way to solve the problem:

Amazon.com: Tailgator Gas-Powered Blender: Electric Countertop Blenders: Kitchen & Dining
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Guy I know has one of those gas blenders. Hard to start and stinks up the campsite when it does.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for all the tips! Idroba, I'll holler if we're ever headed your way and put you to work :-). In the meantime, I'll either give the alligator-clip model a shot, or modify the menu and make do with a smaller blender. We have a 12-volt model that's under-powered, but if I find something under 400 watts we can use the outlet in the back of our truck.
Caroline
Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seecue View Post
Thanks for all the tips! Idroba, I'll holler if we're ever headed your way and put you to work :-). In the meantime, I'll either give the alligator-clip model a shot, or modify the menu and make do with a smaller blender. We have a 12-volt model that's under-powered, but if I find something under 400 watts we can use the outlet in the back of our truck.
Caroline
And I mean it, if you are up this way, I would be glad to do an install for you, no cost.