Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thumbs down No Interstates

If you are going to invest in AGM batteries, get the best: Lifeline, period. They have a 5 year warranty and are found on all of the expensive Prevost bus conversions and other high end motor homes as OEM equipment. (and on my '06 19CCD )!

Optima batteries are not AGM, but are gel batteries. These have no liquid electrolyte, but are very sensitive to charge volltage variations and will not tolerate deep drawdowns like the AGM will. Any big voltage fluctuations in a gel will cause the gel to strip away from the lead plates, causing a scar and reducing the output capacity and life of the battery.

If you really want a superior set-up, go with a pair of AGM 6VDC golf cart batteries: Lifeline Marine Batteries - AGM Marine Battery GPL-4C. They have superior draw down characteristics and capacities and are built for super heavy duty use in golf carts, providing many more charge/discharge cycles too.

These batteries ARE NOT CHEAP!, but they are the BEST you can get.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #22
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have a single battery under the gaucho (installed in a ventilated box) that is accessed from a hatch at the front of my Safari. One battery is not enough. Can I install two Lifeline AGMs in that compartment without having to vent to the outside?

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
I have a single battery under the gaucho (installed in a ventilated box) that is accessed from a hatch at the front of my Safari. One battery is not enough. Can I install two Lifeline AGMs in that compartment without having to vent to the outside?

Thanks - Pat.
Hi Pat,

Some folks are extra cautious when it comes to outgassing because it is essentially hydrogen sulfide. Lifelines are so safe that they use them in the space program and are AIR SHIPPABLE! I would assume that they are safe for your intended purpose if the FAA will allow them on an aircraft.

Let me know if you need any other help finding them.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #24
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Lew. I would like to do this in stages (budget, you know). It would work out well to spend the bucks for the right batteries, pause a while, install a battery box just 'cause it feels better, pause a while, then go solar.

Then go disappear for awhile.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Battery life

OK, how long should two new (07 Classic) batteries maintain a charge. Mine go down to less than 1/4 charge in 5 - 6 days with no apparent draw (ie nothing on!).
Guess I'll add that to my warranty list.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Other Batteries

This is the other end of the spectrum from Optimas, which are great by my understanding, but I have had excellent luck with batteries from Wally World. They have usually lasted well beyond their design life. The one failure, a start battery in my old van, highlighted the difference between them and others. Wal-Mart's exchange policy is legendary. There was none of this "We have to charge it overnight and check on it tomorrow." It was put that one here and go get another off the shelf. You can get a new battery 24 hours a day in most places. You can even camp in the parking lot.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
OK, how long should two new (07 Classic) batteries maintain a charge. Mine go down to less than 1/4 charge in 5 - 6 days with no apparent draw (ie nothing on!).
Guess I'll add that to my warranty list.
Scott,
Don't forget that the propane detector is pulling power from your batteries. Other draws include the 12 v. panel for your refrigerator if on gas, the standby modes of an inverter (1.5 amps/hr) as well as the TV and any DC equipment that has a clock in it. A battery will naturally discharge on it's own each day but all those other items add up. It sure isn't like my old '77 Excella 500 with Dometic RM100 refrigerator and not one single phantom draw from the battery. With two Delco Voyager maintenance free grp. 27 batteries, I could leave the trailer for several weeks without the 5 watt solar panel and still show a full charge. Sounds like you need to hunt up the equipment which is drawing your battery down. Certain equipment can be unplugged when not there and other 12 volt equipment might need a toggle switch added to cut the power to that specific device.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Craig,
Thanks for the input. I can't think of a single draw on the batteries...everything is OFF. Maybe I am missing something. In any event, I'll let the experts check it out. In the mean time, I'll leave it plugged in.
Thanks again.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
Craig,
Thanks for the input. I can't think of a single draw on the batteries...everything is OFF. Maybe I am missing something. In any event, I'll let the experts check it out. In the mean time, I'll leave it plugged in.
Thanks again.
Try unhooking the negative cable from both batteries. Come back in 6 days, and see if they are low. If one (or both) of them are, they need to be replaced. If not, then you can let Airstream look at the draw under warranty.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
Is your switch at the door "in-use". If it is, then you are drawing juice like they said.

2006 23' Safari
2007 F350 Lariat Crew 4X4 PSD
AIR# 21875
WBCCI# 3778
Region 3, Unit 144 (Eastern North Carolina)
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
OEM Interstate (2)SRM-27's in our 2008 Classic... from the getgo they discharged *very* quickly while traveling... jackson center checked electrical system & batts twice... "no problems"
pulled batts for winterizing... put em on my 3-stage charger... throwing a 'dead cell' code... Interstate Corp. says tough luck, no pro-rate on this model

As I see it- my two options are 1) Diehard's and keep the OEM charger/converter or 2) Lifelines and replace charger/converter with Xantrex 3-stage.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Battery Manufacturers

I am always confused by the many battery performance reviews since almost all batteries are made by either Delphi, Exide, or Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStart.

Foe example it seems like a battery manufactured by Johnson Controls would be basically the same whether it had the Diehard name or the Interstate name.

Go figure??
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
finalcutjoe,

Just noticed you have a 30' SO just a little newer than mine. Our 2004 came from the factory with two Interstate SRM-29 Deep Cycle batteries. I am a little surprised your trailer came with the SRM-27s.

I am in the process this week of replacing these original batteries. Even the Interstate distributor was quite surprised that they have performed so well for so long. We spend eight months of the year traveling and it is not unusual for us to boondock for six days on battery power. The only real maintenance we do is check the water level every two weeks. I sure hope my new set of interstates five years.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I have to assume my off-grid problems are because of bad batt's- but I can't be certain... our Classic uses the Actibrake electric/hydraulic controller, and from what I've gathered (with the help of my Trimetric battery monitor) this thing draws more amps during travel (when braking), than my truck alternator (wiring?) is able to put back in... but then again, it could just be the batteries (???)

I just priced a pair of SRM-29's Diehard, $120/ea. 1-year free replacement, 30 month pro-rate. NAPA sells a 'deep cycle' SRM-27 $88/ea, same warranty.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
fltlevel- yeah, 27's came OEM (at least, that's what were in it when I picked up from dealer...) more A/S "value engineering"