Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #21
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
I second the recommendation of the Progressive Dynamics internal surge protector. Ours has the remote monitor and we love it. I mounted the surge protector in the rear of the trailer under the twin bed on the side the power cord comes in and the remote monitor in the front living area above my Trimetic meter.

The remote uses a telephone cord so you can locate it at the other end of the trailer if you wish, only make sure the cord is wired the way shown in the manual. Phone cords may have 2 or 4 wires and some have the outer wires reversed. I bought one at Home Depot that I had to rewire to match what was in the manual to get it to work.

We have noticed no noise from the surge protector and our remote has a button on it to bypass the surge protector which you can use if you are using a generator.

In 2 years mine has tripped twice for faulty grounding and 4 times for low voltage which helps protect my AC compressor and I recommend it highly.
I must correct the by pass switch comment. That is an off switch and it will not allow a generator to run. Basically the electric code requires that the ground and neutral not be bonded in the trailer to eliminate the possibility of the trailer skin being hot and that bond is usually in power pedestal. Some contractor generators are bonded but most inverter generators have a floating ground (in case you connect it to a house).

Attached is a link to the article that was referenced earlier about creating a G-N plug to put in the 20A outlet to will provide the necessary neutral-ground bond at the generator. Read the article then use your own judgement. http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I have never had anybody call about any noise from a Progressive Industries hard wire model, or portable but those are outside anyway. Really is pretty cheap insurance and as I've told many on the phone, often they are going to those that already got zapped. $7000 was the highest loss I've heard this year. Converter, inverter, 2 ac units, fridge and microwave. That guy got FRIED hard! It wasn't an Airstream though.
Also, generators are just as capable to surge as the grid, if not more. If the RPM controller fails the voltage goes with it.
I really like Mike's floating neutral video, will be getting those from PI stat!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I gotta say, after posting in this thread, I was doing some work in the Airstream today and heard a little hum. I'll be darned if it wasn't coming from my Progressive EMS. Unplugged shore power and plugged it back in, no hum while on time delay. Power kicks on after two minutes, still no hum.

I probably never would have noticed it if I hadn't read it on this thread. So, thanks?
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ours hums.. 50 amp
The way I ran inbound power puts a bit of a strain on the cable as it turns into the protector. I have it 3m double side taped down. When I lift it and reduce the cable strain the hum is almost all gone. The connections inside do require a snug fit...... I decided to leave it alone.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote