Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Intellipower - no shore power indicator

The PO had the univolt replaced with intellipower. The shorepower indicator lamp does not work any more. Since the intellipower does not hum like the old univolt I would like to make the lamp work. I think the lamp is a neon type bulb that never burns out. I cannot see any wires that are not hooked up. According to the manual there is a DC breaker pannel between the skins under the front window. I do not see anything in the manual about the shore power lamp. Could someone please tell me if it really is an AC lamp or did the univolt have some dioded out put to power the lamp with 12V. What colour should the wires be that feed the lamp?
hadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadams
..The shorepower indicator lamp does not work any more. ... Could someone please tell me if it really is an AC lamp or did the univolt have some dioded out put to power the lamp with 12V. What colour should the wires be that feed the lamp?
Don't know what the factory configuration was (I think the light was 12V, dioded internally in the Univolt), but there is a simple way to fix this. Get a cheap 12V tranformer power module that plugs into a wall socket, about $7, and wire the light to it. You may have to change the light to match the module output.

Even simpler is plug a night light into any socket--when you got shore power the light is on!

Zep
Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Spruce Grove , Alberta
I thought about the night light but I like to keep original stuff working.
Now I know what the mistery cheap transformer is powering. I had assumed I was an antenna signal booster that I could not find. It is only putting out 7V AC. I will try one that does 12V.
hadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadams
What colour should the wires be that feed the lamp?
Gray single wire.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
Thumbs up the wire is in the fuse panel

If you have a service manual look on page H-4 the wire digraham shows the AC power light in it .I would scan and send you a copy but my scanner is off line.Looking at the fuse panel the far left fuse is it.The univolt has a wire built in for this.I think a door bell transformer would work.If you need a copy of the wire digraham email me and I will copy and snail mail it to you Billy
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My old Univolt had a 19VAC output that did nothing but power the AC Power indicator so when I went to Intellipower I lost that. I just put a 110V night light into the outlet by the sink. Not elegant but functional.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We keep a voltage meter plugged into a 120 outlet so that we can not only see that we have shore power, but what how strong (or weak) the voltage is. Camping World: Search - voltage meter - Camping World
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I got one of those cheap AC plug-in circuit testers that I use before I plug into a park's shore power...I keep it 'stored' in one of the AC outlets inside the AS, the lit LED's on the tester tells me the power's on, and the 'legs' of the parks power are properly wired. You can find them at all the home centers for about $5 or so.

Here's the one I use....
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices