Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartley1212 View Post
I just bought two inteli-power 9245 converters (one for each of the streams) for $106.99 a piece plus shipping on ebay.

I'm hoping this will be well worth the expense given the alternative of hiring a baby-sitter to plug and unplug my AS every 3 days.

Has anyone had bad luck with multi-stage converters? Are they as trustworthy as some make them out to be?
That's similar to what I put in the B190 (I put in a 60 amp for some reason, but the 45 would have been sufficient) back in 2008. I also put an Optima Deep Cycle battery in at that time. It works GREAT, and the battery is still holding a good charge despite the fact that I've left it plugged in for months on end. It was, by far, the best thing I ever did to the B190.

Our new trailer has three batteries and a cheap 50 amp converter, and the batteries are about the same age as the one I put in the B190. But those three batteries have far less capacity than the 1 battery in the B190, because the converter has probably cooked them.

Our new trailer has three solar cells on top and three batteries, so my thinking is that I really shouldn't ever need to have the converter on as long as it's relatively sunny while camping, but we can't even go one night with the converter off. Meanwhile the B190's ONE battery will hold a charge for weeks.

I'm chomping at the bit to replace the converter with the same one I put in the B190, and get two or three new batteries (I might ditch the third battery - we don't dry camp much). It's great not having to worry about whether your converter is cooking your batteries!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I installed an inteli-power 9245 converter in my 65 Safari w/3 Lifelines and it works great. Charges very fast and makes no noise.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Iota has been recommended to me by lewster as the best converter. Since I just installed it a couple of weeks ago, I can only say they last a couple of weeks.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Iota has been recommended to me by lewster as the best converter. Since I just installed it a couple of weeks ago, I can only say they last a couple of weeks.

Gene
Will you be my barrister.....PLEASE.

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Will you be my barrister.....PLEASE.
You'll have to send a substantial retainer. Then we can discuss what I can't do.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartley1212 View Post
I just bought two inteli-power 9245 converters (one for each of the streams) for $106.99 a piece plus shipping on ebay.

I'm hoping this will be well worth the expense given the alternative of hiring a baby-sitter to plug and unplug my AS every 3 days.

Has anyone had bad luck with multi-stage converters? Are they as trustworthy as some make them out to be?
Hartley, we just replaced our old Univolt with the Intelipower 9260 (someone said the fan runs less often is the only reason we did not get the 9245). The first thing that happened was I started tripping the GFCI. (we have a 27ft 84 Sovereign) After a bunch of help on the forums I finally did what one of the first people told me to do. Replace the GFCI. Once I did that, all has been well. I guess a new converter and an old GFCI just did not work well together. So if you start tripping the breaker, save yourself some trouble and go get a new one. The big plus with the multi stage converters is supposed to be "saving" the batteries. I can leave it on all the time and it regulates itself. Now I need to build a cabinet, mount the converter to the new floor and go Streamin! (you can see it sitting between the chairs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor and chairs.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	135399  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Breakers age and eventually fail. The more often they flip, the quicker they die. Unlike humans, exercise is not good for them. GFCI breakers seem to be more sensitive than regular ones. So, yours may have come to the end of its life and it may be a coincidence even though coincidences happen infrequently.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Breakers age and eventually fail. The more often they flip, the quicker they die. Unlike humans, exercise is not good for them. GFCI breakers seem to be more sensitive than regular ones. So, yours may have come to the end of its life and it may be a coincidence even though coincidences happen infrequently.

Gene
Totally agree Gene. Probably just decided to show its age right when I put in the new converter. Sure wish it had been one of the cheap ones though. That GFCI was about $45.

WBCCI 3805
Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
They are expensive, but now you can use a toaster while you sit in the sink or if there is a flood. And, you can submerge the hair dryer in the sink to heat the water if the water heater fails.

Gene
Old 07-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
They are expensive, but now you can use a toaster while you sit in the sink or if there is a flood. And, you can submerge the hair dryer in the sink to heat the water if the water heater fails.

Gene
LOL All the while knowing I have a brand new breaker just sitting there waiting to save my life...

WBCCI 3805
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #25
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Gene
You can also unknowingly plug the heater you are using to keep the trailer from freezing during the winter into a circuit protected by one, and then have the stupid thing pop ( in the middle of the winter when no one is watching) because someone looked at it crosseyed (or perhaps some other equally valid reason).

You then can learn plumbing skills.

Ken