Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Mitch

2020 30' Classic
Granite Bay , California
Installing Six GPL-4CT in 2019 30' Classic RB and Related Discussion

I finished installing six GPL-4CT Lifeline batteries on my 2019 30' Classic RB. I wanted to share my experience with you in case others are contemplating the same thing.

I’m now contemplating the same upgrade on a 2020 30’ Classic (interesting but unrelated story for another post), and am not certain I should do the same thing, so am interested in others thoughts on this?

2019 30’ Classic RB Install Summary: I replaced the two factory batteries with two GPL-4CT batteries in the battery box, and then added four additional GPL-4CT batteries under the center section of the front recliner. Lewster provided valuable input on various aspects of the project. I would be happy to have a detailed discussion with anyone that is going to undertake this same improvement on the same trailer (just send me a message). I did the work myself, which was more involved than I initially anticipated, mostly because of my perfectionist nature that required I redo several elements with different materials that I hadn’t first anticipated needing. It seemed all consuming during planning and execution, and required that I purchase quite an inventory of parts from various suppliers, and returning unused items (if possible). The benefit of being all consumed is that it didn’t drag on, and after I started work it was mostly done in a weekend, and a couple evenings after work wrapped it up. I’ve included some photos that show details of various aspects of the project.

The big question now is do I do the same thing to my 2020? I have thousands invested in the batteries, but due to the magnitude of the job, am now contemplating Li, but I have not been able to find a Li battery configuration with dimensions suited to fit under the recliner, and still provide at least 300-330Ah (roughly equivalent to my AGM regular discharge capacity). I created a basic CAD model and downloaded 3D files from all the main Li manufactures that seemed possible (including Victron, Battleborn, etc..). I don’t know where I would like to place the lithiums instead, but it would lead to another learning curve about another section of the trailer, and also there are more complexities with the Lithium system for charging, etc.. Would someone that has completed a basic lithium upgrade (resulting in >300ah) on their 2016 or newer 30’ RB Classic be willing to share their experience, please message me?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5611.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	348228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5614.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	348229  

Name:	IMG_5681.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	348230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5640 (002).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	348231  

Name:	IMG_5658.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	348232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5551.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	348233  

Name:	IMG_5610 (002).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	348234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5620 (003).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	348235  

2020 Classic 30RQB
2013 2500HD Dmax: 6in lift; GEN-Y Traveler (torsion flex) hitch; Load Range F (3-Ply sides); 1-ton leafs; Hellwig sway bar; Firestone Ride-Rt RED; Bilstein 5160s
Registered Professional Engineer, CA
jmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I did a similar install (with Lewster's advice) on my '15 Classic when it was new: 600W of solar, a Magnum MSH30, 4 6V GPL's, plus all the remotes, etc.

Just finishing up the Battle Born install of 4 of their 12V batteries ($3,564). ALL of the components I installed for the AGM's work perfectly with the LiPo's. Just some reconfiguring of the ME-RC50 for stuff like Absorb Time and V, Float, Equalize, etc. I found a "configure for lithium document" that shows what set-up values are for the Battle Born's, so its was a matter of resetting some numbers.

My solar also needed a few tweaks of the controller.

What I lost out of this was going from 308 pounds of AGM's to 120 pounds of LiPo's. Granted, I dropped from 800 amp hrs to 400.

After finishing up, I let my inverter run my A/C for 45 minutes. Then let it recharge. Awesome! In your case the major thing you'd lose would be going from 462 pounds of AGM's to 174 lbs of Battle Born's.

I think you'd be fine with just 4 batteries. They fit perfectly under the forward dinette seat (the drawer has a false front now) , and my inverter is under the rear dinette seat (behind the drawer).

The worst part of the install? Cutting 4/0 cable to EXACT size, plus lugs, swaging, etc.

None of the control cabling needed changing. I had built a control box that's installed in the closet.

Let me know if I can help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_224a.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	350572  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, you should install Ion battery. many reason to do so, including, but not limited to,
  • lower weigh,
  • longer life,
  • higher capacity usage down to 10% and
  • lower TCO
  • able to keep inside as there is no venting issue unlike lead acid

check the battleborn LiON battery series.
The 100AH come in two form factors

here are two options for smaller 22FB sport
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 plus one BB battery can fit under bed-option 1.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	351214   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 plus one BB battery can fit under bed-option 2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	351215  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Very nice job on the install.
I installed 4-GPL-4CT Lifeline batteries in my 64 Safari. I absolutely love them.
However if I were doing this again today, I would go with Li. for reasons stated above. Mostly weight and time/rate of recharge and cycles of discharge = longer life.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I completed my lithium install. It seemed awfully easy...but maybe having done the 6V 4GPL's back in February '16 I'd forgotten that process. Actually, the worst part was hauling over 300 pounds of batteries to my garage. I think the 4 LiPos weigh about 100 pounds. As anyone will tell you who's done this, cabling is the worst part, especially if you're using 4/0 cable which is around 3/4" thick. Not much give when bolting the terminals.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
Mitch

2020 30' Classic
Granite Bay , California
Thank you all for sharing. The Alde system now occupies the space under the forward dinette, making the mechanics of this a bit different from 2016 forward. I couldn't pass up the value proposition of already having the AGM batteries, so decided to install them first, giving me a few years to consider the best way to do the Lithium system, hopefully preserving the wiring completed for the AGMs.

It is nearly identical to the first install for my 2019, but I made several improvement this time, which include a fused accessory bus inside; a fused 2/0 cable extending the inside positive lead outside to the battery box and bolted an insulated positive terminal to inside the box which provides the traditional positive and negative terminals out front even though the true battery positive is inside now; added an independent amp (designed for low power consumption) and upgraded the sub woofer to an 8" active and 8" passive enclosure; added a high-side isolation switch; sorted out the rats nest to the extent reasonable while relocating the junction box to the street side and wrapped insulating electrical paper and shrink wrap and nylon wraps around wear and wire routing areas; a backup power wire for the reclining sofa so that if there is electrical failure while boondocking I can drive the recliner up to service the system. I used all marine-grade wire, not welding cable which provides flame resistance and other benefits, and marine grade tinned lugs and other insulators and connectors.

2020 Classic 30RQB
2013 2500HD Dmax: 6in lift; GEN-Y Traveler (torsion flex) hitch; Load Range F (3-Ply sides); 1-ton leafs; Hellwig sway bar; Firestone Ride-Rt RED; Bilstein 5160s
Registered Professional Engineer, CA
jmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote