Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Installing battery disconnect in vintage trailer?

I am installing a battery disconnect and a simple monitor in my vintage trailer. All the fixtures in the trailer are 12v. I have an Intellipower system in place of the old Univolt.

I plan to install the battery disconnect on the negative wire between the battery and ground.

If the trailer is plugged in to 110v while the battery is disconnected, so there is power to the Intellipower, will that damage the battery?

Will the 12v lights have power? (I am thinking they will because the positive line from the intellipower goes to the fusebox, and the positive line to the battery is on the same post, so I think the intellipower will supply 12v to the fusebox)

Sorry to ask this simple question, but I keep reading replies to similar questions but they all seem to have modern conveniences and solar panels, etc, and I just want to make sure I don't damage anything.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
If the trailer is plugged in to 110v while the battery is disconnected, so there is power to the Intellipower, will that damage the battery?

Will the 12v lights have power? (I am thinking they will because the positive line from the intellipower goes to the fusebox, and the positive line to the battery is on the same post, so I think the intellipower will supply 12v to the fusebox)
Running your converter while you batteries are disconnected will not damage the batteries. And yes, your 12 V lights should be powered from the converter.

ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks, I think I got it all worked out. Now I should be able to keep an eye on my battery condition. After reading up about battery maintenance, now I'm not sure about disconnecting the battery, it seems like the intellipower/charge wizard combo is made for properly maintaining the battery during storage. But the cutoff switch is there if I need to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-16 09.13.23.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	269209  

Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
You might want to disconnect the batteries if shore power wasn't available to power your converter for a long period (1 to 3 months depending on your config) and where the parasitic drain on the batteries might deplete them more than 50%. Happy camping!
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sun Lakes , Arizona
Stephanie,

I love what you did I sent you a PM asking for more pics.

Tony

PS
I just noticed your name, OPPPS,
Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Tony,

All this electrical stuff is in the side access panel on the Caravel, towards the front of the trailer. The 110v fusebox is towards the back of the trailer in that same access area. The battery was originally located in that area, but we moved it back to an empty space between the back of the wheelwell and the bathroom wall. This is all under the side gaucho.

So, several years ago I replaced the old Univolt with this little Intellipower unit. When I opened up the old Univolt it had a fusebox in it, so that made it easier to replicate the fusebox I needed to setup. The fusebox came from NAPA, it's just a 12v accessory automotive panel.

(first picture)
The Intellipower is plugged into a 110v outlet which I think we added. You can see the intellipower also has a ground wire which is screwed to the wall where there's a rib, so it's all tied to the frame. The power line (red) for the intellipower goes to the post on the fusebox.

(second picture)
Those red wires and the blue wire going into the fusebox are exactly as they were on the univolt. The red wire coming off the fusebox post goes to the battery's positive post.

The white wires (which are the original ground wires), the intellipower's black (-) wire, and the black wire from the battery's negative post are all mounted to a ground block which is screwed down to the floor.

The new cutoff switch and the battery monitor are inline with the battery's black wire.

Hope that helps you out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-17 11.01.05.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	269319   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-17 11.00.46.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	269320  

Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Stayton , Oregon
Battery system

I like the pictures of your system, we are currently redoing a 67 Caravel and was hoping you would supply a list of the new parts you used. We may not be the only ones this would be helpful for.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Always happy to help another Caravel owner

The Intellipower is a 9000-series with the add on Charge Wizard.

The fusebox is just an off-the-shelf item from NAPA, you can get them in various sizes. I actually have a second fusebox in the kitchen area that splits a 12v line into power for an LP Detector, fridge fans, and the furnace.

The cut-off switch is a Marinco 701 Battery Disconnect Switch

The Monitor came with the shunt, it is a Baylite DC Voltmeter. There are a bunch of similar items on Amazon. I only bought it because it was a very cheap solution. When I have money I would like to upgrade to something like a Trimetric, but this will do for now.

Hope that helps.