Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
I think I shorted out my 12V system on my 1986 29' Sovereign?

Last summer when I was putting my battery back into the battery compartment, I accidently touched the positive terminal to the outside aluminum of the battery box door. It sent out a few sparks and made me jump (not because of an electrical shock, but becuase I was surprised). That was on the the way home from last trip of last year, so I didn't use it again. I have had it plugged in all winter so I thought the battery would be charged right up. But last weekend it wouldn't even work the electric jack (I had to leave the trailer plugged into 120V to get the electric jack to work). I was just wondering if I may have blown a fuse, or if I need to reset something to get my 12V system working again. Where is the 12V fuse panel on my 1986 29' Sovereign (rear bedroom). Or I coud just be that my old battery has finally packed it in.

72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The fuse panel in my 1983 Excella is on the front wall, behind the sofa and below the center window. You can see a photo with the couch removed in the first post of this thread: The large cables are to the batteries. You have probably blown the fuse there.

You don't need to remove the couch, but there is a snap on panel on the wall covered with a velour material running the width of the couch that needs to be removed for access.

Don't be surprised, though, if after a cold winter you do have battery problems. If I were you, I would check the water level in the battery, replace the fuse if blown, and give it a charge. It might just be a blown fuse and you still have some battery life left. It's cheap and easy enough to try.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
1985 31' Excella
Eugene , Oregon
I spent quite a while searching for the fuse panel in my 1985 Excella this past weekend...finally found it right where you said it would be! This was my second trip in my trailer. I have a wonderful Honda generator that I love...but it does not seem to charge my batteries when powered on...should it? Or do I need an inverter/converter of some sort? I am brand new to RV trailer forgive my ignorance. The batteries did not charge when being pulled by my husband's truck, but I'm sure it was his connection as when I plugged into my Denali the batteries seemed to charge just fine. I am boondocking by the any tips on power management for my older trailer would be appreciated...these forums are so incredibly helpful!!
umpqua is offline   Reply With Quote