Old 03-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Unhappy i need some replacement part

hi ,i need to find a unvolt but iam not sure what size i need and, the other doesn't want to come out welling.if anyone know place i can buy on it would greatly help me.My next question is my main water line pop from age and i know the belly comes off but it doesn't want to .the pipes in the back are in the camper but then i hope they run under the belly so i can get to them.i dont want to have to ripe my floors out cause there in good shape. so any information on either of the two would be helpful.Because if i cant get these fix by the 24 of this month .I will have to buy another camper and sell this because ..there not a place around here for part that doesn't cost a arm and a leg and these are not even made for air streams campers

Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi and welcome to the forums, check this site out give them a call or email and I'm sure that they can anserw all your ??
http://www.bestconverter.com/home.asp

Old 03-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Troutville , Virginia
airstream parts

I have had good luck getting parts from airstram dealer in Greensboro, NC - OUT OF DOORS MART - 336-668-2784 I have bought a number of items including a replacement univolt- Jim J
Old 03-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You can also check out VTS http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/ they have replacment power units...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I have a univolt out of a 1968 and I don't need it. When I purchased the trailer, we hooked it up to a generator and the lights came on... does this mean it works?? Anyway I am going with a new one and would be interested in unloading it for a deal + shipping.... anyone know what they're worth?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
Univolt available

I am taking my 50amp univolt out of my 83AS as we speak. Just got a new intelli power yesterday. Its heavy and has the traditional univolt hum but I have no need for it.

David
Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
you can have both of my working, but removed, Univolts. They have been replaced by Intellipowers. This should tell you something, all of us willing to give away old Univolts--get a new switching converter (like Intellipower)!! You will save oooooodles of pounds and get good, clean power too boot.
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
thanks

Well am not really sure which one (size wise)i need.The one thats there looks to have never been replaced and has not writing on it left.I know it wont work with out it.My light nor air works plug into electric and its along drive home every other day to charge the batts. i would be more than happy to buy one.and pay shipping and handling plus price if anyone knows what size i need?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IIRC the Univolt was 40 or 45 amp capacity. I plan on going with a 60 amp because I am adding some addtional 12volt items to my trailer and want the extra capacity.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums.
I need a little more info on your plumbing problems. Are you having leaks in the water lines or drains? Do you still have the copper pipe or has it been changed to plastic? When you say the pipes are in the back of the camper, are those the ones you are having trouble with? Most of the water lines on your trailer are fairly easy to get to but need to know which you have to fix? Also why do you need to fix them?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
angel73,
Is your unit a rear bath? I am in the process of dissassembling mine and the bulk of the plumbing is enclosed in the rear trunk and under the vanity area, then it runs up the curbside of the trailer to the kitchen area. You have a couple of choices as far as repair/replacement, you can go back with the copper or use PEX. If your floors are in good shape I would go the PEX route. My personal preference is copper...but I have been accused of being hard headed too Any idea of where the leaks are located? The belly pan is not too hard to remove, you can either shear the rivets off with a sharp putty knife and hammer or drill them out. Many people replace the rivets with a small stainless steel screw. You can even cut an access panel in the belly pan, and replace it with a slightly larger piece.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
pipes

well there all copper and i guess we will need to replace them all or almost all.This also looks to be the second time they been replaced.How they done it be for me i have no clue.the main copper pipe run with the heat ducks and have alot of curves in them iam not sure how to repair.But i would love any help to walk me throw a easy way to get to them with out removing the kitchen sinks and the bathroom shower and sink..or removing her under pans. which have never been removed since she was put together. And any tip on how to keep this from happening again would be nice.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
not sure what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
you can have both of my working, but removed, Univolts. They have been replaced by Intellipowers. This should tell you something, all of us willing to give away old Univolts--get a new switching converter (like Intellipower)!! You will save oooooodles of pounds and get good, clean power too boot.
Will this also recharge our batteries.And convert 110 to ac/dc when plug into electric outlet.Am not sure what all the univolt does.i was told that we had to have it in order to run a generator.For now its just run off two batteries but bring one home every three day to charge is getting old really fast. Since the batteries run everything from the TV and lights to the water pumps.They have to stay charge.So what would be my best bet.And what size would i need to run everything?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
Will this also recharge our batteries.And convert 110 to ac/dc when plug into electric outlet.Am not sure what all the univolt does.i was told that we had to have it in order to run a generator.For now its just run off two batteries but bring one home every three day to charge is getting old really fast. Since the batteries run everything from the TV and lights to the water pumps.They have to stay charge.So what would be my best bet.And what size would i need to run everything?
The Univolt takes 120v ac and converts it into 12v DC. This charges your battery, as well as operating your 12 volt lights, fans, and water pump. They are noisy, and tend to boil the water out of your batteries. If you are going to pull out a non-working Univolt, it would be a good idea to install a newer solid-state unit. They are lighter in weight, smaller, higher capacity, and will not wreak havoc with sensitive electronics. Most are 50-65 amp. If cost is a serious factor, you can pick up a used one for around $100. Most RV salvage yards have them, and will be happy to sell you one, although it is better to get a new one with a warranty. As far as I know, you don't have to have one to use a generator with your coach, but it will allow you to use the 12v systems while the generator is pumping out 120v.