Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I am lost in the wilderness. Xantrex XM1800 Pro install

I have searched the forums and I either didn't find this specifically addressed or I am simply too stupid to understand what I read. Please bear with me.

Now, my electrical system is mostly stock. The PO had a solar panel installed. I recently changed out the stock batteries and installed two 6 volt T-105's. Everything works just fine, so far.

Issue/Background: When at high altitudes I require an oxygen concentrator, especially when I am sleeping. I also require an electrical device for Sleep Apnea, mine is called a V-PAPIII. Both of these devices must run at the same time while I sleep. The combined amp usage for these two devices is about 6 amps. The stock inverter is rated at 5.2 amps. So, I want to upgrade.

I intend to upgrade the entire system someday, but not right now. For me, it all looks too involved and this is not something I want to screw up. My dealer is a 9 hour drive from my house and I don't trust or even like the local independent.... so, this is something I need to do on my own.

Why do I even want to mess with this? Well, it's freedom. I desire/require as much freedom and self sufficiency as I can get. I hate restrictions and I will not allow any health issue to win... I find 'workarounds'. I am set up to run my machines when shore power is not available with the use of either of my two Honda EU 2000i generators. However, when at places where it would be rude to run the generators or prohibited, I still require that my machines run.

What I already own: About 3 years ago I bought a new Xantrex XM1800 Pro Series Inverter (see links below). I had planned to install it on my boat. Unfortunately, I suddenly required heart surgery, suffered a stroke during surgery and contracted MRSA. I spent two months of Hell in the hospital and about a year of recovery...... so my plan kinda changed.

Goal: Use the Xantrex as a separate, stand alone system to provide necessary AC from my batteries for a single purpose of operating my two medical machines. I am fine with redundancy and all considered, that redundancy could prove to be beneficial in my case.

Installation: I am lost in the wilderness. My electrical experience amounts to plugging it in and turning it on.... but I am now willing to learn.

I THINK I need to simply come off the batteries with separate cables (size/rating?), routing them into the house and to the Xantrex mounted under the bed with the rest of the electrical gizmos.

**I THINK I should install some kind of inline fuse on that run...type/size?

**Do I need to run these wires to a circuit breaker either before or after the Xantrex?

**What kind/rating circuit breaker should I use?

I intend to mount the remote on a closet wall in the bedroom and the double GFI outlet (wire size?) on the wall below my bed, near the existing circuit breaker.

I should probable ask more questions, but I don't know enough to know what to ask. What else do I need to know and/or buy?

Thank you for any and all help on this..... and thanks for your patience.

My best...... Remembering those that have given so much, so that we may be free.

Dan

Xantrex Technology Inc. - Boats - PRO Series Inverters - Specifications

Xantrex XM1800 Pro Series Inverter

Old 05-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...I think- everybody is still thinking good luck some one will chime in here shortly.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #3

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
... Both of these devices must run at the same time while I sleep. The combined amp usage for these two devices is about 6 amps. ...

Dan

Xantrex Technology Inc. - Boats - PRO Series Inverters - Specifications

Xantrex XM1800 Pro Series Inverter
6 amps at 120 volts? If so, thats gonna be one heck of a battery load. That's about the same as 60 amps from a battery for each hour of use...for a 10 hour sleep thats 600 amp hours which equates to 10 group 27 batteries pulled down to 50% capacity....
Now if its 6 amps at 12 volts...thats a different story...
HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
6 amps at 120 volts? If so, thats gonna be one heck of a battery load. That's about the same as 60 amps from a battery for each hour of use...for a 10 hour sleep thats 600 amp hours which equates to 10 group 27 batteries pulled down to 50% capacity....
Both of my machines run on 120 AC, so this is sounding as if it's not doable.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
this thread has some selated info:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ery-56521.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
Thanks, that shows some promise, at least for the one machine. My CPAP uses only 2.2A when I don't use the humidifier... I seldom use it anyway. Additionally, without pills (I hate them), I seldom sleep more that 5 or 6 hours and I like it that way. If my machine will run for 4 to 6 hours I would be fine... then I might take a power nap in the afternoon or hit the sack early when generators can be run.

However, if the Oxygen machine will not work with this system/setup, I will need to figure out another workaround.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:

However, if the Oxygen machine will not work with this system/setup, I will need to figure out another workaround.
If you only need the Oxygen machine at high altitudes, consider limiting your camping at high altitudes to sites with AC power.

What exactly consists of high altitudes in your case? The lowest definition of high altitude I am familiar with is about 4,000 feet. Most, including cookbooks, refer to greater altitudes. There is a whole lot of the country that is worth seeing and enjoying at lower altitudes.

Just trying to suggest alternatives. I have friends with CPAP machines and the ones that have RVs have mentioned the problem. None of them go to high altitudes, though.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
If you only need the Oxygen machine at high altitudes, consider limiting your camping at high altitudes to sites with AC power.

What exactly consists of high altitudes in your case? The lowest definition of high altitude I am familiar with is about 4,000 feet. Most, including cookbooks, refer to greater altitudes. There is a whole lot of the country that is worth seeing and enjoying at lower altitudes.

Just trying to suggest alternatives. I have friends with CPAP machines and the ones that have RVs have mentioned the problem. None of them go to high altitudes, though.
vswingfield,

Thank for your response.

I live at an altitude of 1000' and I use both machines every night. I can get by without them for a night or two, but I feel better the next day if I use them. At 3000' and above, it's a must when I'm sleeping, but I'm fine when awake unless I decide to wander off a bit too far.

I have seen much of our beautiful country, before the health issues, and while I completely agree that there are many places at lower levels that are rewarding, I also do not want to be restricted if I can find a way around it.

A couple of years ago I wanted to sell everything we own and buy a 45'+ sailboat.. sea level every day.. but my bride of 38 years wouldn't let me. I'd do it today in a heartbeat, but "Yes Dear" is hardline on this.

I might be making this a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be, but I like being ready.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
my two cents

well, two honda 2000's make very little noise. to me, the gen's should be run when you need the machines. everyday we make concessions for special needs. the noise produced by those two gens should be acceptable to others. perhaps a small sign indicating why the gen's are running would put other camper's minds at ease. put the gens where they will make as small a impact as is possible, use some heavy cords and keep them away from others.
as a matter of going forward, why doesn't the rv'ing world come up with special needs signage and begin to accomodate everyone? to me, when you enter a camping area a word to the host/governing authority would allow you to run your gens when required. well, that's my 2 cents. good luck and good camping-you are welcome next to me anytime.
ol' bill
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
well, two honda 2000's make very little noise. to me, the gen's should be run when you need the machines. everyday we make concessions for special needs. the noise produced by those two gens should be acceptable to others. perhaps a small sign indicating why the gen's are running would put other camper's minds at ease. put the gens where they will make as small a impact as is possible, use some heavy cords and keep them away from others.
as a matter of going forward, why doesn't the rv'ing world come up with special needs signage and begin to accomodate everyone? to me, when you enter a camping area a word to the host/governing authority would allow you to run your gens when required. well, that's my 2 cents. good luck and good camping-you are welcome next to me anytime.
ol' bill
Thank you, Bill.

LOL... we live in the same state, you really could find me camped near you.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Hi Ho,

I just got off the phone with Xantrex and your figures are spot on... what I wanted to do.... can't be done.

Well, on those occasions when there is no other reasonable alternative, I'll be the guy that's running the generator all night. ;>)
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #12

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
... I'll be the guy that's running the generator all night. ;>)
And the rest of us will be cheering you on!

HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote