Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
How to charge the batteries from the TV

I have all the inside panels removed on my 1962 globetrotter and are in the process of wiring everything up. I have a battery charger from West Marine which runs on 110 when I am connected to shore power. I do not understand how I connect the 12V connection from the TV to charge the batteries while I am driving. Can someone explain how I do this. Thank you very much.

Julia.
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Company while you wait!

Hi Julia,

I hope some help comes along for you soon! I am interested in following your thread as well. I will be getting and hooking up a battery and charger in the very near future.

I have a Globetrotter too, just a few years older. I would be interested to know where your systems were located as several of mine were removed, ie., the fresh water tank, the pump, and where you are putting your charger.

Regards,
TAC # Ny-6
MTnestRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Charge Airstream battery from TV battery

I've read somewhere that a separate circuit has to be constructed from the tow vehicle's battery, isolating the charging of the battery.

And, I've read that there might be a difference between gas and diesel vehicles, since some diesels have two batteries and one of them is more appropriate than the other for isolating the charging circuit for the trailer.

I have a diesel, so I'm keen to find out.

That's about all I know, which is not much. I hope this provokes some help!

Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlester
I have all the inside panels removed on my 1962 globetrotter and are in the process of wiring everything up. I have a battery charger from West Marine which runs on 110 when I am connected to shore power. I do not understand how I connect the 12V connection from the TV to charge the batteries while I am driving. Can someone explain how I do this. Thank you very much.

Julia.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Isolating Tow Vehicle Battery to Charge the Trailer Battery

I found a helpful link here:

Hellroaring Battery Isolator/Combiner notes for Multi-Battery isolation in RV/Camper/Trailer Applications

Looks like they're in Montana, not sure that's relevant, it's a big state :-)

Anne
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
IndyAnne,
What will you be using for a fuse panel? Will you be using one or two batteries? Most of the fuse panels I have seen on the earlier models have the TV charge line comming into a 40 amp fuse at the fuse panel. It then charges the battery back through the pos batt cable which is also fused(some 40 amp, some 50 amp). You can go to Airstream.com, select North America, then customer service. Then select FAQ, on the list it will say plugs. Select this and it will bring up some years, I believe the earliest is 64-65. It gives a basic electrical schematic for connecting to TV through a 7 pin connector. You will be looking for a blue wire for the charge line on the schematic( I believe it has a 25 amp circuit breaker on the TV side and a 40 amp fuse on the trailer side.
I hope this helps,

John
69AmbassFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
John, thanks for your post. I'm a little behind in responding. Good questions, and I'll add this to my checklist. Thanks for the details!
Anne
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlester

Julia.
What TV are you using? My Ford has a seperate circuit isolated by a relay from the Battery "buss". WHen the ignition is off the charging is off. THere are many threads that tell you which lead on the connector is the right one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
I have a Chevy Silverado 2500. I will check on the circuits and the threads and find the correct way to route this isolated path for charging the battery. I appreciate the feedback very much!
Anne