1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
for my trailer no battery no 12v power, it's part of the circuit

Old 12-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
It may vary with age and design of the trailer, I'm not sure,

But with our 2005, It can be done just fine - in fact If I recall correctly, my manual even states that you can power all the 12v stuff in the trailer from the converter without any battery in place.

You do need at least one battery in place though to move the trailer in order that the
breakaway switch could do its job.

You are correct though that if you have one or both batteries out, you should protect the bare 12v + connector(s) from accidentally grounding because they will be live from your converter/charger.

Being inherently lazy, I generally just stick the positive connector into a heavy rubber glove that I carry for trailer washing! Not the best but it works!

I also have quick disconnect knobs on my battery connectors. I installed them because we just have the original (Not smart!) charger in our trailer and I am afraid of cooking the batteries if it remains connected too long.

If we are going to be on shore power for more than just a couple of days I disconnect the batteries - and try not to forget to put them back on line when we are ready to move!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Aren't the trailer brakes actuated by the tv? It just the breakaway switch that needs its own battery, either on the switch itself or the one in the trailer.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Aren't the trailer brakes actuated by the tv? It just the breakaway switch that needs its own battery, either on the switch itself or the one in the trailer.
Under normal operation, traveling down the road, the brakes are powered by the TV. However if the trailer separates from the TV while on the road the brake-away switch closes and supplies power to the brakes assuming there is a battery to draw that power from. Keep in mind that current will be 6,12, or 18 amps, depending on your axle count. That requires a good size battery, like those normally in the trailer.

Noone has yet said why the OPer wants to remove the batteries.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Under normal operation, traveling down the road, the brakes are powered by the TV. However if the trailer separates from the TV while on the road the brake-away switch closes and supplies power to the brakes assuming there is a battery to draw that power from. Keep in mind that current will be 6,12, or 18 amps, depending on your axle count. That requires a good size battery, like those normally in the trailer.

I'm not so sure that you get enough amps via the umbilical cord to power the trailer brakes.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I'm not so sure that you get enough amps via the umbilical cord to power the trailer brakes.
Your suspicion is correct but has nothing to do with the breakaway switch and the current that would flow to the brakes when the switch is closed.

They are 2 different systems. The current supplied to the brakes from the TV is limited by the length and size of the wiring, all to often undersized.
The current flowing to the brakes when the breakaway switch is closed is only slightly limited by the wiring in the trailer, but very close to the max. This system is designed to come as close as possible to locking the trailer brakes and thus stopping the trailer ASAP.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

Yes, I know that. That's why I commented earlier about a breakaway switch that has its own smaller battery mounted near the switch near the ball negating the need for a regular trailer battery.