Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
How many amp hours do I have?

I have two Interstate Group 24's on my 23FC FB. Dumb Question: They say 550 CCA, 690 MCA, and 140 RC. I think Cold Crank Amps are just what they can produce in short bursts. MCA, no idea. RC no idea.

How many amp hours to I have, and what do amp hours really mean? I'm doing a lot of reading but struggling with making sense of it all. Assuming batteries are fully charged (mine show about 12.8 on a meter at the terminals), how many watts can I run for how long? (Variable of course based on power usage.)

Just trying to get a better understanding of all this. Thanks in advance.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
The Interstate SMR-24 batteries have a spec of 84 AHr each. Since you have two and you should never deplete your batteries more than 50% if you want them to last, you have 84 AHr of usable capacity available. So if you're drawing, let's say 8.4 A from your battery, then you'll have 10 hours, and so forth.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
The Interstate SMR-24 batteries have a spec of 84 AHr each. Since you have two and you should never deplete your batteries more than 50% if you want them to last, you have 84 AHr of usable capacity available. So if you're drawing, let's say 8.4 A from your battery, then you'll have 10 hours, and so forth.
Thanks...very helpful. Why wouldn't the battery be labeled with the spec for Amp Hours? Can it be calculated using the information that is printed on the battery? EDIT...OK so I found some info that multiplying Reserve Capacity by 60% tells you the Amp Hours. I guess this is based on 80 degrees as well, and would be less in colder temps, since RC is measured at 80 degrees.

Probably the most complicated part of RV'ing....
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Great question, If you are going to do any dry camping (2 to 3 days) the
interstate will not holdup and a very limited warranty even the AGM they sell do not hold up, only come w/ 1yr full warranty.

After a lot of study and going thru one set of the interstate I went with LifeLine 6V AGM,
Rated Cap.
Amps Hours @ 20hr Rate 220 amps 1-6V Batteries

Minutes of Discharge
25 Amps 492
15 Amps 856
8 Amps 1692

All Lifeline deep cycle batteries are backed with an industry leading 5 year warranty.

2-6V LIFELINES, 440 amps
@ a 20hr rate or 1712 minutes of Discharge

Your two interstate will only give you @ a 8.4hr rate or 540 minutes of Discharge and once you go to 50% of the battery they are dead and will take you a full day to restore the battery.

AMG you can take down to 80% to 90% before you will need a complete recharge and does not hurt them.

I also change to a Boondocker BD1260C (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger) w/ Trimetric 2025RV Battery System Monitor. Got a Honda propane generator and now
NO power problem, now I can go were I want too and stay as long as I want.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I think MCA is marine cranking amps. RC is reserve capacity. I don't know if/how you can relate them to amp-hours. Those specs are typically for combination or starting batteries, not "deep discharge" batteries. Make sure your batteries are rated for deep discharge RV or marine use. Typical auto starting batteries do not like to be discharged over long periods of time as in boondocking use.

Assuming your batteries are rated for deep discharge use, what Alano says is correct. You have 84 AH of useful capacity. If they are starting batteries, they won't last long boondocking in travel trailer service.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
If you are going to do any dry camping (2 to 3 days) the
interstate will not holdup
Well, maybe. It depends on your usage. Mine regularly last me 2-3 days and frequently more.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I have a single WalMart lead acid Group 24 starting battery. I have dry-camped for 4 days using the Fantastic fans, refers, water heater and water pump (Navy shwrs) and lighting, and watched two football games and one DVD... all on that battery. (I did remove all the incandescent lamps and replace them with LED cheapies from china.)

I then recharged the battery for 3 hours using a generator, and did it again for 3 more days (although only used the tele once and the stereo a couple times for weather reports and fake-news.

BTW, that battery is 3 years old and stays on a constant charge when in storage using the OEM WFCO converter the 2008 Sport came with. (and I do not bother to have a battery monitor at all. I do check the water level every 2 months tho'.)

I keep a bottle of salt-pills handy when reading all the woes others report on their batteries and how much they fail to report their new wonder-battery "solutions" cost them.

I can replace my WallyMart battery for $84 every 3 or 4 years and be happy with that.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
How many amp hours do I have?

I am not aware of any AGM where going below 50% is recommended. I could be wrong but was told by several experts on this site that if you have 440 amp hours of AGM, you essentially have 220 available and they should not be discharged below 50% or they will be damaged and not last very long.

Again: AGM are still lead acid batteries, just sealed and as such should not be discharged below 50%!

Lithiums are the only batterie where discharging to 80% are considered normal operations.

Check out amsolar.com they have a great Learning/primer that explain the differences between AGM/Lithium/lead acid wet cell.

Full link below to article:
http://amsolar.com/diy-rv-solar-inst...s/edbatteries/
Old 02-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Dames,
After more research on the actual lifeline site, they state as follows:

"What depth of discharge should be used when sizing a battery?
To get the best cycle life, the average depth of discharge should be as low as possible. Concorde recommends the average depth of discharge to be no greater than 50% of the battery’s 20 hour rating."

If you are discharging below 50% you are killing your batteries: Link below.

http://lifelinebatteries.com/faq-items/
Old 02-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I read a lot in this forum about Lifeline AGM batteries. Just curious why Lifeline seems to be the brand of choice. I chose Crown 6 Volt batteries and they were just a tad less expensive than the comparable Lifelines. Crown has been a leader in the Golf cart world for some time and has a good reputation right up there with Trojan.

The same would be true with LifePo4 lithiums. Victron seems to be the most popular yet CALB, and Enerdel offer LifePo4 batteries for less than half the price. One may have to make a few connections, but for a couple thousand dollars I can do some work. Now the Enerdel at $1500 for 400 AMPs would not include a BMS, but do you really need one if you have a programable charger?

I'm not saying one is better than the other...just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
The BMS does a lot more than control charging. It is the safety net to protect the battery, user and the trailer.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
We used our stock Interstate group 24 batteries for 3+ years, and mostly boondock. We recharged with solar or a generator when needed. They held up fine and are still being used as trolling motor batteries. After much research, last year we switched to two 220ah Lifeline 6v batteries based on the durability and added capacity. No regrets on the change.

As other have said, it is recommended never to go below 50% state of charge with either flood or AGM batteries. Also, a battery monitor was one of the best things we put in for boondocking. We installed a Trimetric 2030RV in our AS and our truck mounted camper.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
dames7 states:
"After a lot of study and going thru one set of the interstate I went with LifeLine 6V AGM,
Rated Cap.

Minutes of Discharge
25 Amps 492
15 Amps 856
8 Amps 1692

All Lifeline deep cycle batteries are backed with an industry leading 5 year warranty.

2-6V LIFELINES, 440 amps

Your two interstate will only give you @ a 8.4hr rate or 540 minutes of Discharge and once you go to 50% of the battery they are dead and will take you a full day to restore the battery."

You only get 220 amps from two 220 amp 6 volt batteries to get 12 volts output.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
With proper care and feeding, My group 29 Interstates wen 5.5 years before one cell in the pair went bad.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
In calculating electrical energy and draw, a couple of useful items:
1) VxA=W (volts, amps, watts), so W/V=A
2) Ahr = # amperes delivered in one hour (if you're only using the appliance for 6min,
divide the appliance amps by 10. That's what will be extracted from your batteries).

Finally, if boondocking is favored, consider labeling each appliance (I include lights) with it's amp draw. Much easier to decide whether to use and remain mindful of what's being used.
Wouldn't hurt to label your status panel with that 50% supply # for your batteries, either. Allows everyone to be in the 'conservation loop'.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbob View Post
We used our stock Interstate group 24 batteries for 3+ years, and mostly boondock. We recharged with solar or a generator when needed. They held up fine and are still being used as trolling motor batteries. After much research, last year we switched to two 220ah Lifeline 6v batteries based on the durability and added capacity. No regrets on the change.

As other have said, it is recommended never to go below 50% state of charge with either flood or AGM batteries. Also, a battery monitor was one of the best things we put in for boondocking. We installed a Trimetric 2030RV in our AS and our truck mounted camper.
We just ordered the pair of Lifeline 6v AGM batteries for our '64 Overlander project. Is there an affordable alternative to the TriMetic 2030RV that works well. Budget is stressed 😉
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #17
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Batteries

I understand you don't want to go below the 50% mark on your batteries
But what is that number? Seems like my max reading is 12.8 after a good charge,,,,I've heard of people going as low as 11.5 volts,,,,but I've. Tried to keep it above 12.3 at all times
I'm using regular deep cycle Interstate batteries that came with the unit
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Interstate says it is 12.06V

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
Great question, If you are going to do any dry camping (2 to 3 days) the
interstate will not holdup and a very limited warranty even the AGM they sell do not hold up, only come w/ 1yr full warranty.

After a lot of study and going thru one set of the interstate I went with LifeLine 6V AGM,
Rated Cap.

Minutes of Discharge
25 Amps 492
15 Amps 856
8 Amps 1692

2-6V LIFELINES, 440 amps

Your two interstate will only give you @ a 8.4hr rate or 540 minutes of Discharge and once you go to 50% of the battery they are dead and will take you a full day to restore the battery.

AMG you can take down to 80% to 90% before you will need a complete recharge and does not hurt them.

I also change to a Boondocker BD1260C (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger) w/ Trimetric 2025RV Battery System Monitor. Got a Honda propane generator and now
NO power problem, now I can go were I want too and stay as long as I want.
As others have said already, your statement that I highlighted in red is false and deceptive...... (sorry, I call them as I see them!) I also don't know what source you got that from...I would be VERY interested in who/what they are!.

The 'standard' recommended (BY LIFELINE) depth of discharge for any of their batteries is to the 50% level, which is represented at the 12.2VDC reading on a battery monitor or quality voltage meter.

The LESS you draw a Lifeline, the longer they will last and conversely, the MORE you draw from a Lifeline, the less charge cycles and corresponding life span you will see. An occasional deep draw to below 12.2VDC will not harm the battery, but regular use below the 50% level certainly WILL.

At the back of the Lifeline tech manual on page 38:http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-cont.../12/manual.pdf, you will see that at the recommended 50% discharge level, you can anticipate 1000 charge cycles (this assumes that the battery temperatures are at the industry standard of 25ºC, or 77ºF and most importantly......that the batteries are FULLY RECHARGED TO 100%...12.8-13.2VDC in short order after the deep discharge occurs.

If you look carefully at the chart, you will also see that at a regular 80% depth of discharge as you suggest, you can expect about 600 charge cycles yet at a regular 20% depth if discharge, you can expect almost 3000 charge cycles. That is lithium territory!!!!!!! Only thing that's required is a large enough AGM bank to allow you to only discharge your batteries to the 20% level. That would be a double or triple sized battery bank with the corresponding costs and ..........WEIGHT!! Not very practical!!!

Also on pg. 30, you will find a table of depth of discharge levels with their corresponding voltage levels:
• 20% DoD.............12.55VDC
• 50% DoD.............12.15VDC
• 80% DoD..............11.61VDC

Again, all of these voltage levels correspond to a battery ambient temperature of 25ºC.

I have seen many folks kill their batteries using more methods than one can imagine. Knowingly exceeding the recommended depth of discharge by a large margin luckily is close to the bottom of the list!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Batteries

Where do you get the LifeLine 6V AGM's????
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote