Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
How Big AC Input Amps???

I have a new converter coming for the 26' Argosy.

The AC box has 2 ea 20 amp breakers. But the plug in for the trailer looks like 30 amp.

My question is that I am sure I need to up grade to 50 amps with the new additions. But not sure.

Here's the major users of AC

*Armstrong A/C
*New Atwood 6 gal Lp/Electric Wtr Htr
*WFCO WF-9865
*Small Microwave
*LCD TV

Do I need to get a 50 amp trailer power cord??

Do I need 50 amp?? (I would think so)

I was thinking of a 50 amp box with 1 ea 20 amp for A/C;1 ea 20 amp for Wtr Htr; 1 ea 10 amp for Micro; and 1 ea 10 amp for the rest??

My lack of electrical knowledge is likely dangerous......

Any suggestions are appreciated..... Thanks
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet 30 amp service

Hello,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...fit-33581.html

I was considering adding a second AC, and the conversion from 30 to 50 amps is addressed very well here.

IMHO, no way do you need more than 30 amps. You can't use the microwave and the AC at the same time, my Excella has a two way switch, but you can run everything else. I have a 37" LCD and a Mac G4 tower in mine. You might want to replace your breakers with new ones. Mine cost less than $15. They are getting old anyway.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
30 or 50

I suspect the 30 amp will be ok. Each componet you list has a wattage rating. Total up the watts and divide by the voltage (110) and you will have a pretty good idea how much current will be used if all the loads are energized at the same time. Don't forget to include your converter.

Watts/voltage = current. This formula is missing afew things but is good for estimating.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
You might want to replace your breakers with new ones. Mine cost less than $15. They are getting old anyway.

Vaughan
That was less than $15 for all of them.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Air Conditioners

Any air conditioner will have stats based on ambient temperature and line voltage. At a fixed voltage at a fixed ambient temperature, it will do as the label says.

Bu the higher the ambient temperature, the greater the currect demand.

The lower the line voltage from 120 VAC (not 110 VAC) the greater the current demand.

Combine those two and sometimes a 20 amp breaker will trip.

However, under no circumstances should any RV air conditioner be fused beyond 20 amps.

To do so, is asking for an equipment failure, should the line voltage as an example drop and the ambient temperature be high.

Low Freon levels lead to compressor burn out, since it will not keep the compressor cool enough. It happens.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the advise........ I like not having to upgrade thats for sure.

Hard to figure out the wiring in my Argosy. There is no wiring diagram and I've googled til' blind without finding one.

I am concerned on how to wire in the Atwood electric water heater as the old one was LP only.

There is a single box with 2 ea 20 amp breakers. Each breaker has only one wire routing down into the wall.

To the right of the breaker box (a foot or less) there is a junction box with 3 or so connections. As I said, without a wiring diagram it's a head scratcher to figure out what to tie into.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance

Hard to figure out the wiring in my Argosy. There is no wiring diagram and I've googled til' blind without finding one.

I am concerned on how to wire in the Atwood electric water heater as the old one was LP only.

There is a single box with 2 ea 20 amp breakers. Each breaker has only one wire routing down into the wall.

To the right of the breaker box (a foot or less) there is a junction box with 3 or so connections. As I said, without a wiring diagram it's a head scratcher to figure out what to tie into.
I will post some answers for you tomorrow, when I am back at my office..

Andy
Old 07-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy
Old 07-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance

There are three basic 120 VAC circuits in the older Argosy trailers.

There should be a single 30 amp master breaker and 3 20 amp breakers.

One circuit is for the left side of the trailer, the second circuit is for the right side of the trailer, and the third circuit is for the roof AC.

However, if the trailer during production did not have an AC, then only two 20 breakers were used.

The AC wiring, is within the shell.

Andy
Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy........ Apparently mine must have been added after production as I have the 2 ea 20 amp breakers.

I will just have to track these circuits down by flipping breakers and disconnecting wires at the junction one by one. Not the end of the world and I can look at it as a learning experience.