Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #1

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Talco , Texas
Unhappy House batteries drain

I just charged both of my house batteries this last week and when I went out to check out my charging system I took a reading at the battery posts and had only 6.6 volts. I charged the batteries with a Schumacher battery charger on auto mode to 100%. Are the batteries possibly bad? I don't know the age of either but they are the same. The dates were never removed for viewing. I don't ever go camping in the wild so they actually are never used. This year when I went to start the unit and get it ready for some interior work it would not start. I found the battery switch in the motorhome was on. Will this drain both battery banks? I have been told to check the Isolator to see if the diodes are allowing flow both ways between the two banks. Can anyone tell me exactly how to test one. It has three posts with two of them jumpered together. I have a diode tester but would like to know for sure the procedure. I am wondering about the converter also, should it not be charging the house battery bank while I have shore power hooked up? I don't have any manuals to cover this unit (it is a 1995 Airstream Cutter with 5.9L Cummins Diesel) it is a 32 foot model. If anyone knows where to procure a set of manuals the info would be much appreciated and would probably be extremely helpful. If I am getting no charge to the house batteries, but when I am hooked to shore power all electrical works, could the converter be not charging the batteries? I would appreciate any assistance that I can get and I know you veterans have plenty to offer. Thanks IC2 Jack

Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A picture of the isolator would help.

If you have interior lights while plugged in your converter is working. Check at the batteries to see if it is charging the batteries. If there is no voltage at the batteries while the converter is on there may just be a blown fuse.

Diodes only pass current in one direction. Not sure where the diodes are but if you have truck batteries and the diodes are between the truck batteries and the coach batteries you can check them by checking voltage on the truck side and then on the coach side. If the diodes are good you should see about .9 volts less on the coach side.

If your coach batteries were dead when you opened it up you may not be able to recharge them if they were dead for any length of time. Consider new. Something was on in the coach to cause them to drain.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #3

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Talco , Texas
House Batteries dead

Hello and thanks HowieE. I checked the voltage at the house batteries and they are at 6.6 volts with the cables hooked up and 7.6 with the cables removed. The diodes are in the Isolator from what I have learned on the internet this is used to isolate the two banks when the engine is off and connect them when the engine is on and charging so both are kept up to snuff. Is this correct? I checked all through the unit when I first found the batteries were dead but I did not find anything that was on except the battery switch and the steps were turned on for entering and exiting the coach. I read that the steps can draw on the batteries if the battery switch is on. I keep the motorhome plugged in 24/7 all through the year. The coach batteries are marine style. Is there a way to check them? Would it be best to take them to our Auto Parts store and have them checked out? They sure went down fast and as I mentioned the unit is always plugged into 120v shore power. I will go out and check the two fuses that I saw hooked up to the system. One is a 20 amp and the other is a 30 amp fuse.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Is the truck battery OK? If so the isolator is working.

The 6.6 volts with the cables hooked up. Was the converter plugged into 110 then? If the converter was off while you were reading 6.6 volts and the voltage went up when you opened the circuit you have a current draw.

Can I assume you have checked the battery water level? Converters that are left on 24/7 can boil the water out of a battery. This can be just a normal boil off if it happens over a very long time or it can be an over charging converter if it happens in a short period of time. How old are the batteries?

If the water level is very low take a know good battery, from your car, and put it in the coach. Hook up the converter and read the voltage at the battery. It should not be above 14.7 while charging. If it is your converter has gone out of calibration and is the cause of the low water level.

Get back to me.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #5

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Talco , Texas
Hello HowieE, Thanks for your help, I took both coach batteries to the local auto parts store and had them checked out and both were bad. I thought this might be so as I had charged them up and in a week they were dead as could be. I also did some additional research on the subject and through some trial and error discovered that I have a battery switch in the coach that turns on another electrical switch and then it starts to charge the batteries with 120vac shore power. I also started the coach and took readings at both battery banks and they both checked out to be good and charging. I went ahead and purchased a deep cycle battery for the coach but only one as we do not ever go dry camping without hookups and don't plan to ever do so. I did'nt think it was necessary to have two batteries so I went with one large unit. So now I know that to get the coach batteries to do anything at all I have to turn on the switch. One thing I did not really like much was that with the switch on and shore power connected it was constantly charging the battery. Will this not cause a failure if the battery is constantly charging? I have been told that the purchase of a Battery Tender instead of using the converter to charge the batteries would be a better way to go and would keep the battery in tip top shape for a long time. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help. Jack
Old 04-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic2jack5648 View Post
One thing I did not really like much was that with the switch on and shore power connected it was constantly charging the battery. Will this not cause a failure if the battery is constantly charging? I have been told that the purchase of a Battery Tender instead of using the converter to charge the batteries would be a better way to go and would keep the battery in tip top shape for a long time. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help. Jack
It depends on the type of converter you already have> The older types will boil off water over time if left on. The newer types drop back as the battery comes up t full charge and then just maintain the charge.

What brand and model is in the coach?