Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Hey great deal solar $129.00

Hey folks check this deal I wondered onto from northern tools

BatteryMINDer Solar Charger

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Hey folks check this deal I wondered onto from northern tools

BatteryMINDer Solar Charger
That charger is to keep the battery topped off, when in storage.

It cannot provide enough power when charging it's very few hours, if your using the battery.

The vendor says it will charge 4 batteries, is rather far fetched unless they mean flashlight batteries.

Solar chargers only put out maximum amps when the sun is at 90 degrees to the panel. The charge rate drops when that angle is less as well as more.

For what that charger does, it's way over priced, like at least double.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If it performs like they say (15 watt), that is just a hair over 1 amp charge rate at 13.8 volts. Assuming you have good sun light for 6 hours a day, that would only be about 6 amp hours, and that would be "best case".

Not really enough to extend a boondocking trip for even another day, but it would be a good "battery maintenance" type system.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have a battery minder plug-in version. They are great for maintaining your batteries when you are not using your AS to counteract the natural draw down when sitting idle. You have to have your batteries charged prior to connecting in order for it to maintain the charge.

The solar version would be good if you store your trailer outdoors somewhere where you can not plug in a battery charger.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Since many still use the old Univolts, this would be a simple way to maintain when not in use especially not needing to worry about frying the batteries.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Solar BatteryMinder

Andy et al;
I'm looking at the solar BatteryMinder maintainer/conditioner BatteryMINDer Solar Charging System — 12 Volt, 15 Watt Panel, Model# SCC-015 | Battery Maintainers | Northern Tool + Equipment for maintaining my batteries during storage. Our Airstream (2011FC23FB) is stored under a commercial storage facility three sided shed, so my rooftop solar doesn't help, and without access to electricity, so a conventional trickle charger doesn't help. However, the front end faces west and does get several hours of direct sunlight per day at the propane tank cover. I could mount this panel on a folding bracket on the propane tank cover.

Andy,
I'd like clarification on your claim that it is way overpriced. Have you identified a functionally equal alternative?

Others,
Have you used this product or an alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That charger is to keep the battery topped off, when in storage.
Yes, that is the product.

It cannot provide enough power when charging it's very few hours, if your using the battery.
---True, it is not designed or advertised to do so.

The vendor says it will charge 4 batteries, is rather far fetched unless they mean flashlight batteries.
---Have you tried it?

Solar chargers only put out maximum amps when the sun is at 90 degrees to the panel. The charge rate drops when that angle is less as well as more.
---True for all solar panels.

For what that charger does, it's way over priced, like at least double.
---What is your functionally equal alternative that you claim is half the price??
Andy
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Anybody seen a good darkness charger? We are going to be storing our trailer in a warehouse....
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
BatteryMinder SCC-015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Andy et al;
I'm looking at the solar BatteryMinder maintainer/conditioner BatteryMINDer Solar Charging System — 12 Volt, 15 Watt Panel, Model# SCC-015 | Battery Maintainers | Northern Tool + Equipment for maintaining my batteries during storage.
Others,
Have you used this product or an alternative?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
I use one of these units to maintain the two batteries on our AS. It seems to do what is necessary to maintain the two batteries for extended periods during storage.

I bought it on sale for less than the Northern Tool price, but I forget how much (been too long).
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I got these two items for storage maintenance only for my 2 group 29 wet cells. Per my on board monitor, it puts out between 300ma and 900ma considering low angle, cloudy days and sunny days. After a series of cloudy days, my battery has been as low as 98% charged followed by one sunny day, it will be back up to 100%.
Based on my spying on my trailer batts in storage, I believe 15 watts would handle 4 batteries in areas which get 50% sun vs. clouds. That's just a swag, though.

BTW, I know that a "proper" charge staged controller is optimal, but for a low output charge maintainer, I believe that an old on at 13V/off at 14.2 at 900ma max. isn't going to boil off anything. I seem to recall getting the panel at a lower sale price last winter.

NPower 15 Watt Amorphous Solar Panel | Amorphous Solar Panels | Northern Tool + Equipment
NPower Charge Controller — 7 Amps of Array Current | Charge Controllers | Northern Tool + Equipment
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Anybody seen a good darkness charger? We are going to be storing our trailer in a warehouse....
Gringo,

I have 2 of these:
BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers | Northern Tool + Equipment

I use them for my AS batts during winter storage when I bring the batts home, as well as another unit which handles a scooter battery and a tractor battery. I really am happy with them.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Taylor , Texas
Quote:
Anybody seen a good darkness charger?
Well, you ARE in Bermuda... perhaps in the triangle, solar chargers actually charge better in pitch black?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The Battery Minder 15 watt solar charging system will work..........but it is limited to maintaining your battery's charge. It is too small to actually do any charging unless you disconnect the negative lead to the trailer and isolate the battery.

Only then will it's just over 1 amp of maximum charge at full bright sun add a little to your battery.

I have installed several of these for clients who only wanted their batteries kept at full charge when in storage. They will work well for that purpose! The key is to start with a fully charged battery bank, and the 'Minder will then do fine.

BTW, their other charging products work as advertised and I use several of them to keep the numerous battery banks on the bench for test use fully charged all the time.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The Battery Minder 15 watt solar charging system will work..........but it is limited to maintaining your battery's charge. It is too small to actually do any charging unless you disconnect the negative lead to the trailer and isolate the battery.

Only then will it's just over 1 amp of maximum charge at full bright sun add a little to your battery.

I have installed several of these for clients who only wanted their batteries kept at full charge when in storage. They will work well for that purpose! The key is to start with a fully charged battery bank, and the 'Minder will then do fine.

BTW, their other charging products work as advertised and I use several of them to keep the numerous battery banks on the bench for test use fully charged all the time.
Lewster,

I'll challenge you..but only a little bit...and only as it relates to my AS. I moved my LP detector wire to the fuse panel, so it is not on while the cut off switch is disconnected. I figger I'll ALWAYS have the cutoff switch on while occupied. I, so far, have had no alarm issues when turning it back on until it burns off, like some have stated. With whatever other parisitic load I have, (haven't really tried to chase them down because it's not an issue..brake actuator, etc) I am only drawing right around 100ma. I have no problem with the batteries recovering to 100% after a week of rain and clouds, followed by a day or two of sunshine. I just strap the panel to the top of the propane tank cover with a 2X4 on edge s a "tilt". The panel faces the southeast. I could probably get a little more out of a 15W if I put it on the roof where it would get a better angle in the PM, but I seem to be fine as it is, and I don't have to take a ladder out to storage.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Argosy View Post
Well, you ARE in Bermuda... perhaps in the triangle, solar chargers actually charge better in pitch black?
We're actually down south of the Bahamas, between Mayaguana and the Dominican Republic. We'd do better with a wind generator here. We get sun 350 days a year, but the trade winds blow 24/365.

Where we plan on doing most of our camping up at around 7300 ft. in the Rockies, there is plenty of the absense of dark. I am looking for a way to use the dark to generate electricity.

Something along the lines of:

Shedding the Light on Darksuckers - And Why Your Power Company Doesn't Want You to Know About Them
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
We're actually down south of the Bahamas, between Mayaguana and the Dominican Republic. We'd do better with a wind generator here. We get sun 350 days a year, but the trade winds blow 24/365.

Where we plan on doing most of our camping up at around 7300 ft. in the Rockies, there is plenty of the absense of dark. I am looking for a way to use the dark to generate electricity.

Something along the lines of:

Shedding the Light on Darksuckers - And Why Your Power Company Doesn't Want You to Know About Them
HA, good one, and I really thought you were looking for an electric trickle charger while indoors!!! Me = SUCKER!