Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexander , Arkansas
Help with Newmark! Is my converter bad?

Hi all I have a slight problem... Everything seems to work 12v/DC when on shore power. However when I unplug no 12v... I've checked the fuses and battery connections ... Found out I'm getting juice to the converter... Just nothing after..does that mean converter Is bad ?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it means your batter is either dead or disconnected. When you're on shore power, 12V comes from the converter; when you disconnect, it comes from the battery.

Have you used a 12V test light to check the battery?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexander , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it means your batter is either dead or disconnected. When you're on shore power, 12V comes from the converter; when you disconnect, it comes from the battery.

Have you used a 12V test light to check the battery?
Thanks for replying.... Let me try to be more clear. When I unplug from shore power, nothing 12v works. No 12v is getting past the converter... In addition I took the front panel off the converter and where the fuses are supposed to go there were cut pieces of 1/4 copper tubing. I'm pretty sure that has fried something!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Isn't a Newmark a brand of RV? It's not a brand of converter?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerLG View Post
Thanks for replying.... Let me try to be more clear. When I unplug from shore power, nothing 12v works. No 12v is getting past the converter... In addition I took the front panel off the converter and where the fuses are supposed to go there were cut pieces of 1/4 copper tubing. I'm pretty sure that has fried something!
The converter and batteries both feed the 12 volt circuits through the fuse panel.
When you are plugged into shore power, the converter charges the batteries and powers the 12 volt circuits. When you disconnect, the batteries take over supplying the load. Your batteries are not doing that. Therefore they are discharged, damaged, not present or not wired correctly. I think that it is likely that you have some 12 volt equipment that is drawing too much current. Someone ignorant about electrical circuits and safety replaced all the fuses with copper tubing. Until you take all of the chunks of tubing out and replace them with the proper size fuses, you should disconnect the batteries and DO NOT plug into shore power or it is very possible you will end up with a fire. I am guess that the replacement of the fuses has caused the death of the batteries by discharging them too deeply. Take the batteries to a battery shop and have them checked. I strongly suspect that, when you put good batteries and correct fuses in, a fuse will blow. Find out what on that circuit is causing it to blow and fix or replace it.

Ken
Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The copper tubing is a Really Bad Sign that something is wrong. As the very least, it indicates that a fool has been messing with the electrical in your trailer. As noted a couple times above, your batteries should be supplying 12V when you are disconnected from shore power.

Could you tell whether the copper tubing was on the 12V side or the 120V side of the converter?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexander , Arkansas
Thanks All... I know the fridge works now with good batteries, it was replaced years ago but not used... It's the only thing that stays on when I disconnect. So I assume that someone wired it directly to the fuse panel before the converter. Is there any way to find a wiring diagram of the way it should be wired?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Alexander , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd
The copper tubing is a Really Bad Sign that something is wrong. As the very least, it indicates that a fool has been messing with the electrical in your trailer. As noted a couple times above, your batteries should be supplying 12V when you are disconnected from shore power.

Could you tell whether the copper tubing was on the 12V side or the 120V side of the converter?
I just took off the front panel if the converter and that's when I saw the copper tubing...I'm getting power to the converter....just no power back to trailer fuse panel when unplugged. Do you think I should just replace my converter?.