Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Kamloops , British Columbia
help with AC wiring addition needed

I am setting about installing a Go-Power IC 2000 inverter/charger unit to go with recently installed 160w solar charger in my 2005 30' Classic with SO. It seems to make sense to remove the existing converter and place the new unit in the same place under the couch up front close to the batteries. I will need to connect to the IC 2000 110v input from the main breaker panel (which is in the rear of the coach in the overhead cabinet above the bed) and supply 110v from the IC output to a new sub-panel to which I will transfer two existing circuits (microwave, and bathroom outlets etc). The problem is how and where to run these two new 110v (10-2) wires between the back of the trailer and the front location under the couch. Any suggestions as to how to run these wires? What is under the floor? I a wondering whether to run outside the belly pan or would it be better to get into the space between the floor and the belly-pan? Is it difficult to access this space? Or is there an accessible raceway in the wall that will take these wires. There is a generator inlet up front and this does connect to the ATS in the rear roadside corner. Has any one tackled this already and willing to share the experience?
tadpoletim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
belly pan is the least intrusive. Wear a good pair of goggles. unzip the belly by drilling out the rivets. You'll have access to your entire trailer from there.
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
As you know, most of the AC and DC wires are run between the interior and exterior skins. I ran a new microwave circuit from the load center to the galley along the floor, under the bed and through bulkhead walls. I used plastic conduit. This was in my 66 Trade Wind. The newer Airstreams are more complex than my vintage Trade Wind.

The belly pan could be loosened and maybe a wire way could be found. But there are water tanks and drain plumbing down there. I don't think there is a straight shot front to rear.

Let's see what others have done concerning new circuits in their Airstreams.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
I believe the belly pan is attached to the steel frame cross members, right? Are there any holes in the cross members to allow for passage of fore and aft wiring?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
yes there is. plenty of options
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When Lew installed my solar system we ran wires as follows: from under the bed in the rear, up the roadside rear wall behind the corner cabinet, into the rear overhead cabinet, back down the wall, again behind the cabinet, down to the roadside kick panel under the window, forward and over the water heater, under the lavatory, forward between the inside wall and the shower wall, into the refer enclosure, down thru the floor and up the refer enclosure wall and out the refer vent to the roof, open up the belly pan just forward of the roadside wheel well, snake forward through the lightening holes in the cross members to the front, look carefully, then drill a pilot up to the DC panel above under the couch, enlarge the hole as necessary. All wires were placed in looms and very carefully secured. The job was very neat as all wires are hidden. I wish we had known all this in the beginning as it would have made the job much easier and saved time. You can’t be careful enough, but caution does slow you down.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Belly pan

so when you drill out a rivet, can you just take a section of the cover off at a time ?
I need to really look at the cover on the bottom. Maybe make access panels. So if you take that thing off, you don't have to drop the whole thing next time you have to get in there to work on something.

have a good one,
Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Thanks for your input. Did you install an inverter?