Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The gauges and lights dimming for a few seconds is a sure indication that an auto-reset circuit breaker is tripping. If you can find the one that's clicking, you will probably find a wet short somewhere down the line. Might be a headlight wire that is frayed and rubbing against a ground, or it could be the wipers as Roger mentioned.

Don't bother pulling fuses though, it's a circuit breaker that's pointing to the problem.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
All new electrical last fall...

(engine generator, wiring, battery isolator and voltage regulator) and receipts to prove it. It sat over the winter, properly--no worries there--so I bet it's a really simple fix, once I find it. As soon as someone will watch my little guys, I will dive in checking voltage and all that, pull batteries, uncross my fingers, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice--I think I"m on my way. I will post as soon as I have found the Gremlin! The bigger boys just want to sleep in it tonight so I'm shooting for that. Thank you all again!

Audrey (swanky)
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
that's a lot of electrical things to have changed together. it sounds to me like there is an old problem that is still waiting to be fixed.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I agree. It looks like the PO got tired of throwing money at the problem and decided to let you try fixing it.

Don't follow his example. You have a simple short somewhere.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Audrey,

Not sure what model motorhome you're working on but here are a couple of other things you can check for. On our 1984 310 motorhome there is an isolator relay on the backside of the slide out battery drawer. This relay looks a lot like a starter motor relay. There should be several large battery cables connecting to the relay. On our motorhome the cables had loosened up where they bolted to the studs on the relay. This will cause erratic behavior. If they are loose be very careful tightening them down as it is in a confined area and it would be easy to short the wrench to the frame.

The other thing that some of us have been experiencing on these older motorhomes is the power contact on the ignition switch. The contact is apparently only rated for 30 amps and when Airstream built these motorhomes they tacked a lot of high current devices onto this connection. Over time the contacts start to fail and you get among other things intermittent connections and low voltage readings. The volt meter on our dash shows low voltage when we have our headlights on even though the voltage at the battery is ok. I am planning on replacing the ignition switch contacts with a higher current rated relay to over come this problem.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I doubt it's the alternator, in my experience they just fail, period. The gauges quit working, not flickering. It's a wiring problem, possibly at the batteries. The battery condition gauge is a good indicator the starting battery is heading south. Remember, with the diesel, all three batteries are used to start her. That clicking seems like the relay. Pull the fuel filter behind the curbside front tire and replace it, it is a NAPA 3796.
There is also a fuel filter on the engine, but let's not go there, yet. Let us know.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ok, see pictures. I decided that staring into the front compartment might help and eventually saw a loose black wire (the one being pointed to in the picture). The thingy on the end was loose so I cut it off, put on a new one and plugged it back in. Nothing. Then I jumped the engine to the house battery and plugged into the 110 from the house and VOILA! the engine battery went from poor to good and after a few minutes I got it started--turned right over. I am so happy. Hubby left this morning for a quickie meeting and still isn't home so the hardest part was trying to get my infant and toddler to cooperate so I could poke around, do the battery stuff, etc. The 280 really is in excellent mechanical shape. The kind PO did a wonderful job and most things you would think of have been replaced within the last 1000 miles or less. So, a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you who gave me suggestions and led to to find the loose wire. Now, what is it? I am including some pictures.
THANKS A MILLION TIMES OVER, I really wanted to handle at least the first problem on my own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1] (2).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	82176   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1] (3).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	82177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1] (4).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	82178  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Well done, . I can see from your pics "someone" has had wiring problems there before.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
So what did I fix?

What was the dangling wire and where did I reattach it and why did it cause such havoc?
Thanks again. Engine battery is holding charge although I think we still might need a new one as it is still showing 15 volts on the gauge. Engine starts up beautifully, no flickers, no nothing.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanky View Post
What was the dangling wire and where did I reattach it and why did it cause such havoc?
Thanks again. Engine battery is holding charge although I think we still might need a new one as it is still showing 15 volts on the gauge. Engine starts up beautifully, no flickers, no nothing.
We don't worry about that: suffice to say you fixed it. The battery(s) may need to be replaced, though from your posts it seems like the previous owner was on top of it. Do you have paperwork about the batteries? You will show low voltage unless you're at highway speeds. Batteries are the name of the game with us; I'd bet it's time for fresh ones. AC/DELCO have served us well, if you have a Chev/GMC dealer still in business. The starter battery should be the be the best, the coach batteries should be AC/Delco "Voyager" Marine/RV. Bear in mind, it takes a long time, even on the road, to charge those. If you can't find any paperwork, replace all three.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I'm replacing the batteries tomorrow. But, I really, really want to know what that silver thing was that the wire connected to under the hood. I want to learn this machine so if (when) something like this happens again, I might understand why it's doing what it's doing. Does that make sense?
Steps are still uncooperative, though, and I don't know why. I need to sit down with the manuals and troubleshoot that tomorrow. I have all the manuals, by the way, in case someone is ever looking for them (1982 280 Turbo Diesel).
Thanks again,
Audrey
Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanky View Post
Hi, swanky. From your pictures, and not seeing more of the silver thing, I would say that you repaired the ground wire to the wiper motor. And that the batteries are the main problem. And the ground wire to the wiper motor was incidental. Good job Audrey.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
You were so right!

Hubby took out old battery (engine) and replaced it and had her up to 70 mph with no issues and easily cruised the highway at 65, still no issues. He had no problem stopping, starting, accelerating, etc. Hot water heater now works, fridge is nice and chilly, only the steps refuse to cooperate but I suspect that's just a loose wire somewhere and I'll find it eventually. If not, we'll be in Holland at an RV shop Wednesday for our seatbelts and I'll ask them to take a peek. We plan on testing a lot of things again on their property so if we run into a problem, we can get it fixed or at least explained while we are there.

We are already really loving her, probably naming her "A Silver Lining" since we discovered "Silver Lining" was already taken. There have been a few neighbor grumblings since she's been in the driveway since Thursday but mainly just interest and fascination that she is so old yet looks and runs so beautifully, definitely a tribute to her PO(s).

Looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, swanky. From your pictures, and not seeing more of the silver thing, I would say that you repaired the ground wire to the wiper motor. And that the batteries are the main problem. And the ground wire to the wiper motor was incidental. Good job Audrey.
if that really was the ground wire to the wiper motor there still might be a ground wire issue. that wire might have gone bad from carrying the ground load for more than was intended. recheck those battery grounds at the point they connect to the chassis.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
All seems well...

New battery is great, house batteries are good. Fridge, hot water heater, everything but ice maker is working. The guy that came out to demo the motorhome for us again and teach me some basics discovered the step had tangled up its wires when it closed--the clicking I heard the first night was likely due to that and it blew the little circuit. So, $4.25 for a circuit and about 5 minutes of labor and our steps work like a charm again. And, I know where the wiring is so if we have another problem with the steps, I can at least troubleshoot. Bob's mobile RV service in the Detroit area gets my vote. He checked for other wiring/ground issues and found none and we couldn't find any problems that might point to a specific area to look. There is definitely a lot of wiring that has been cut and taped over the last 27 years, but that is to be expected I suppose.
I replaced the city water inlet thing that had a leak and bought a new poop pipe and cap and fresh water hose, rubber gloves, blue smell good juice for the toilet, and a few other essentials.
We're off tomorrow.
Thanks for the assistance.