Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Phoenix , Arizona
HELP?! On Shore Power, but lights dim, and power fades

Hi there.....We had a 19' Bambi, and recently upgraded to a 25' Safari LS. Just had it a few days...Have had it plugged into shore power as we did our Bambi when at home. Today....spent all day in it cleaning, and setting up....power on...tested all systems, ran CD player all day....about 8-10 hours later....in the evening....radio power went off.....lights started to dim, and Refridgerator switched from A/C to Gas.....no breakers tripped, no fuses blown......we did have Battery to Store...so not sure if that was a problem (vs. USE).....
Polarity on batteries is correct....Brand new batteries.....
HELP?!?!?
Much appreciated...
Terry G.
TGadaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Prosser , Washington
Try switching battery to "use". Also wherever your GFCI is not tripped. I found my GFCI tripped when I had compressor hooked up to blow out water lines
Tim and Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Prosser , Washington
Also make sure shore power connection is working and not tripped
Tim and Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The "store" position removes the batteries from the electrical system, so during your day the converter was supplying the entire load.

It seems to me the worst case possibility is that the converter burned up a rectifier (an electronic part that begins the process of turning AC into DC) and is no longer able to supply its full 12 volt output.

There are several ways to diagnose this, are you handy with a multi-meter?

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
HELP?! On Shore Power, but lights dim, and power fades

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGadaire View Post
Hi there.....We had a 19' Bambi, and recently upgraded to a 25' Safari LS. Just had it a few days...Have had it plugged into shore power as we did our Bambi when at home. Today....spent all day in it cleaning, and setting up....power on...tested all systems, ran CD player all day....about 8-10 hours later....in the evening....radio power went off.....lights started to dim, and Refridgerator switched from A/C to Gas.....no breakers tripped, no fuses blown......we did have Battery to Store...so not sure if that was a problem (vs. USE).....
Polarity on batteries is correct....Brand new batteries.....
HELP?!?!?
Much appreciated...
Terry G.
We had the same problem... I think. It turned out to be a grounding issue. We have an o7 25FB. I removed the ground wire from the frame (located under the front on the street side), ground a little to clean around the hole where the grounding stud went thru the frame, added a little dielectric gel and re-assembled. Doing so, allowed our batteries to charge etc.
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote