Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Flagler Beach , Florida
Help in locating my inverter...

Hello all;

I have a bit of a perplexing issue.

I have a 1996 Land Yacht 30' class A. I have no power to the 12v outlets and no power to the 12v lights. I have checked all possible fuses and do not see any issues there.

I have not been able to locate the power inverter. Documentation from the manufacturer and from this forum stated that it was under the dash, in front of the passenger seat, did not find it. Took it to my friendly neighborhood RV repair guys (they charged me 4 hours @ $100 per hour) to take the dash apart and put it back together again only to not locate the inverter.

I have looked in every cabinet, under the seats in the dinette, to no avail. Does anyone who has a '96 AS Land Yacht have any suggestions as to location?

Second question, if the inverter is not working, what do I replace it with?

Your help is appreciated...
Woodyacme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You're not quite looking for the right device.

You're searching for a CONverter, a device that produces ~12v DC from ~120v AC. The reference to the INverter is probably for an optional device that converts battery power to 120v AC.

Your converter (or converter/charger) should be located somewhere near the house batteries in your motorhome, because it also serves to charge the house batteries when you're plugged into 120v shore power.

Now, if your house batteries are working, you should have 12v power in the coach. The batteries may be dead, or there may be an open fuse or a broken connection somewhere.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The converter/charger can be well hidden by Airstream. In my '83 310 motorhome it was under and behind the ice maker, and behind the 12 volt fuse panel. A real bear to find and to get out. No idea where yours is on your '96 but I would find the 12 volt fuse panel and look in that general area.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You're not quite looking for the right device.

You're searching for a CONverter, a device that produces ~12v DC from ~120v AC. The reference to the INverter is probably for an optional device that converts battery power to 120v AC. (you are correct, I am looking for the device that charges the house batteries when I am on shore power, and supplies 120v from those house batteries. Using wrong term, but I DO know what I am looking for)

Your converter (or converter/charger) should be located somewhere near the house batteries in your motorhome, because it also serves to charge the house batteries when you're plugged into 120v shore power. (That is why I thought that it was going to be under the dash of the passenger side compartment. RV Tech says NO, not there.)

Now, if your house batteries are working, you should have 12v power in the coach. The batteries may be dead, or there may be an open fuse or a broken connection somewhere. (I do not have 12v power and I have checked ALL fuses and circuit breakers that I can find.) That was my asking for assistance in locating it from someone who either knows these coaches, or has one that has replaced this device before.
thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I agree, you're looking for the converter. If you find you need a new converter consider replacing the old unit with a modern multi-stage charge unit.

The new models have several charging stages allowing the battery to be charged at the appropriate level depending on the battery condition. Many of the converters Airstream used in the past (and continues to use) are less than stellar.

By the way, if you find hour house batteries are dead that may be an indication the converter over-charged or undercharged them. When I replaced the converter in our trailer it had undercharged to the point the batteries were drained and could not be revived. Age of the batteries was also a problem for us - they were quite old.

I've had good luck with our Progressive Dynamics converter. I put one in our trailer and another in our Class B Airstream van. The web site for Progressive Dynamics is:

RV and Marine Power Converters, Battery Chargers from Progressive Dynamics

There are certainly other good brands out there and some may be better suited to your situation. Call the manufacturers or check the web sites -they usually have cross-reference information to provide the correct unit for your needs.

Good Luck!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
myrtle point , Oregon
look in storage under driver seat [outside]
franknteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknteri View Post
look in storage under driver seat [outside]
Have not gotten the rig back from the RV mechanic as of yet.

But I have another, yet related question...

If the converter is bad, will that prevent me from getting power to my 12V outlets in the coach and running the 12v lights?

My feeling is yes, but I have been wrong before.

Steve
Old 03-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
You can use 12 volt lights and accessories if batteries are charged with a bad converter. Trick is keeping them charged. You could use external charger on temporary basis until converter replaced.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Flagler Beach , Florida
Thank you Post...

Took the rig to an RV repair facility in Deland to handle a complete new brake system (wheel bearings, calipers, rotors, etc) wanted to make sure that it stopped when I wanted it to...

While it was there I asked them to "locate" the converter for me, I had a replacement on order but wanted confirmation of where it is... Told them what was suggested here on the forum and they spent 3 hours (charging me $100/hr) in the process... They could not locate it

They took the dash apart (the glove box) and I asked them to keep it apart, since I was going to do the repair myself anyway. They still never located it.

I hunted around and found the single screw holding the passenger kick plate in place and removed that plate. RIGHT WHERE YOU GUYS SAID IT WOULD BE!

Replaced the converter, and VIOLA, the 12V lights started working, the step, and all the other things that were sketchy on & off all started working as well.

I also removed the old TV in the dash and am setting that up with a small AC/DC inverter 400w to run the electronics (GPS, Sat radio, 110v for computers, and USB for charging phones and other "stuff") with a wood panel that I have fit over the hole.

I wanted to say thank you for the help and assistance that you have given. I will attempt to share any knowledge of things that I learn as I go along.

We are leaving tomorrow to Hoover, AL then off to Savannah, GA our first trip. Round trip should be about 1200 miles. All seems to be working properly. Generator is still dead (sounds like it needs a starter) but I have plenty of house power, and will be plugged into shore power. So we will see...

Thanks again all.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Have a good trip and good luck. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote