Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
MONROEVILLE , Alabama
Help! Im boondocking and fuses keep blowing

We're on our first trip boon docking and the fuse for water pump/refrig/range hood keeps blowing. It worked Sunday. I haven't done anything differently that I know of. I dont know much about electricity. Anyone have any suggestions.
AUTAILGATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
If it was mine I'd try to narrow it down. Does it blow on the range hood? Does it blow on the water pump? Does it blow on the refrigerator? Does it blow when all are operated at the same time? Or does it blow from a wiring short just being vibrated and towed down the road? Is there any way you can narrow it down to whats blowing the fuse?

You also may want to check where the 12 volt wiring connects to the three appliances to see if there is any obvious problems such as lack of insulation at the junction.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi AUTAILGATOR. May I help set your profile to a specific Airstream year/length/model? Please post back here. You probably will get more specific responses if members can see that first.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

MONROEVILLE , Alabama
I turned everything off and turned battery disconnect to store and tried to replace fuse When I turned battery disconnect back to use it blows
Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

MONROEVILLE , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi AUTAILGATOR. May I help set your profile to a specific Airstream year/length/model? Please post back here. You probably will get more specific responses if members can see that first.
2008 19' Bambi int ccd
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
I'm just shooting in the dark here but disconnect each of the three appliances one at a time and repeat your test.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

MONROEVILLE , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
I'm just shooting in the dark here but disconnect each of the three appliances one at a time and repeat your test. I'd start with the water pump.
Ok here's where I show my very limited knowledge, where do I disconnect each of the different appliances? Thanks in advance to those who have responded for your patience
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTAILGATER View Post
2008 19' Bambi int ccd
Okay, your avatar will reflect this from now on.

Bob
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
First I'd simply look at the wiring where the 12 volt enters the range hood, fridge, etc. The endpoints are probably the more likely source of problems.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Does this sound like there is a short somewhere?
It may be that somewhere one of the hot wires is grounding.
I think what I would do is to look closely at the wiring as much as I could see. If they are on the same circuit the hot wires to each of them will probably be the same color (brown or red or purple, etc.)
Next, if you can see where the wire connects to the appliances and can disconnect it (and don't let the end of it touch anything) you may be able to identify where the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTAILGATER View Post
I turned everything off and turned battery disconnect to store and tried to replace fuse When I turned battery disconnect back to use it blows
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Go to the water pump and take the hot lead apart and put the cap back on the trailer side or put some electrical tape over it. You can do the same thing to the vent hood. One of these motors may be shorted out. If fuse is replaced and refrigerator works that it will be good. then Hook something else up and try to run it and see if it blows the fuse if it does unhook it and try the same thing with the vent hood. This will tell you which of the three may be the problem and then you can look for the short on that branch.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The 19' Bambi has a 12v fan that's in the fridge compartment. You might want to check that as well...open the upper outside access door to the back of the frig and you'll see the fan. The fan is also controlled by a switch by the entrance door near where the fire extinguisher is located inside...that fan may be causing the problem. It is on a thermostat so that it comes on and goes off on it's own, but you can manually turn it off (at the switch) and still safely run the frig without the fan on...it is only to push warm air away from the vents. If you turn the fan off or disconnect it at the fan, and the problem stops, that may be the culprit. (That fan seems to be a source of lots of grief...in a number of areas. We've replaced our fan twice and the interior switch three times...)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

MONROEVILLE , Alabama
It was something with the fridge. I'll contend with that when we get back a cooler will work fine for now. Pottie and shower is making things a lot better. Thanks to everyone who responded with help
Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
When it comes to electrical problems one always has to chase them. Disconecting items one at the time always narrows it down. Starting with the easy stuff first. It works for 12 volt and 110.