Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
HELP - Bambi ii electrical problem

New to me 64 Bambi 2.
Electrical system when I got it was functioning via a 15 amp pigtail connected to an old school bakelite adapter connected to three prong plug on shore power cord.
I want to be able to plug in to standard three prong 30 amp outlet and AS plug is a different style (ground prong is L shaped instead of round) so I removed plug end and replaced it with a modern 30 amp plug, connecting green wire to ground prong and black and white wires as indicated on new plug.
Apparently polarity was wrong because when I plugged in, the lights came on briefly and then went off and polarity light came on. I reversed black and white wires and tried again with no success. I found a 15 amp fuse in an overhead cabinet (probably added by PO) and replaced it. Next attempt resulted in no lights but humming converter followed by silence when fuse blew again but polarity light still on.
I installed a battery and was able to run lights using that so I know 12v system is functioning fine.
My questions are:
1. What is causing fuse to blow? I assume fuse is "upstream" of everything, including converter and realize that 30 amp service could blow 15 amp fuse if something is drawing more than 15 amps but I only have two lights on so draw should be pretty low.
2. Why does polarity light stay on regardless of polarity? Is there some sort of reset for polarity light and/or converter?
3. I am inclined to replace converter with a modern version that will also act as a smart charger but want to make sure there is no wiring issue first because I would hate to burn up new one. (not really a question, I know)
4. Is there a need for the fuse if I replace converter with modern one (which presumably has built in protection of some sort)?
5. Water pump looks to have been replaced (date says 1989) with 12 volt one which I think will run ok on 12 volt power. I read that original pump ran on 19 VAC when on shore power?
I am pretty good at fixing mechanical stuff but electricity is not my strong suit...
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
New plan

Decided to replace Shore power cord with new and Univolt with PD4045 and just do away with existing fuse, polarity light, etc. Do I need to keep shorepower/battery switches?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote