Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I have a sheepishly "dumb" question to ask.

Our Sport 22 is about 2 years old. We are the second owner, and not sure what life it had before we bought it about a year ago.

Battery reading was at 11.7 after being plugged into shore power all weekend, so I suspect we need to get a new one before a long boondocking trip this summer.

So can we simply remove current battery, go to Walmart or autoparts store, and get a new battery? What to look for?

Sport only has 1 battery, so we want to be sure we can have power to run heater and refrigerator fan when boondocking.

Advice anyone?
Thanks!
Don't get "just any" battery, though you needn't get anything exotic. You want a deep-cycle battery. Lots of the ones that are out there are "hybrid" batteries intended for fishing boats, so it'll run a trolling motor and start the outboard. I find that good ones of that sort are good enough for my single-battery Argosy but a) I've got all LED lights now, b) my fridge doesn't use any 12V and c) we don't need much furnace use in TX, even boondocking in the winter months.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I have a sheepishly "dumb" question to ask.

Our Sport 22 is about 2 years old. We are the second owner, and not sure what life it had before we bought it about a year ago.

Battery reading was at 11.7 after being plugged into shore power all weekend, so I suspect we need to get a new one before a long boondocking trip this summer.

So can we simply remove current battery, go to Walmart or autoparts store, and get a new battery? What to look for?

Sport only has 1 battery, so we want to be sure we can have power to run heater and refrigerator fan when boondocking.

Advice anyone?
Thanks!
I upgraded to two 6 volt AGM batteries in our Sport. Super easy. They're under the bed in the space next to the hot water tank. If you want power for more than two or three miserly days you need more than that one stock Interstate.

My 2012 has a WFCO 8955 3 stage charger, which is adequate. I'm planning on replacing the board with a BoonDocker main board replacement, which Randy at bestconverter.com claims is easy to install.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Of course there's a meter for that. Chemists use hydrometers that only work for wet cells, but engineers and electricians use voltmeters, which work for both wet cells and AGMs.

However, in order to get an accurate reading with a voltmeter, you have to let the battery "rest" for about an hour, meaning that the battery hasn't been charging or discharging. Allowing the battery to rest lets the chemical reactions that take place in the battery to reach equilibrium so you can get an accurate reading of the charge state.
Yeah, that was the advice to me before, and I did that...then I recall being a bit confused about what that voltage should read as (post full charge, and post 1-2 hour rest unhooked)...conflicting reports...If I recall, someone told me that if it was over like 12.7 volts, I was "probably ok"? Probably depends on the battery?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Probably depends on the battery?
Yes. You can go online and find PDF spec sheets for the make and model of battery you have. The spec sheet should tell you the voltage for 100% charge state.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote