Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
hardwired stuff died while on shore power

Got an Airstream tech question -- not sure if anyone here can assist, but I've never really understood the electrical systems on this trailer as well as I would like, and any help would be much appreciated.

So we're stuck in an auto shop parking lot while we get the truck fixed, and plugged into their outlet (using that adapter-thingy that allows my shore power plug to connect to a regular three-prong household plug). We're clearly getting juice, because my microwave works and I can fire up my laptop using a wall outlet just fine (none of which occur when we're just on the batteries) -- but over the past couple of days, all the hardwired 20-volt stuff (like the lights and the water pump) has slowed/dimmed and now gone out, like we've been battery-only and drained it. Shouldn't all of that have been running on the shore power? Is the fact that we're on what I think equates to 15 amps instead of 30 the problem? Or could it have something to do with the fact that (while renovating), we disconnected the battery cables from the trailer kill-switch and then reconnected them (in order to move the switch into a new piece of furniture) and maybe did something wrong? Have we inadvertently killed the marine batteries? Help!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
"Sassyfras"

1994 30' Excella
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Do you what amps the plugin that you are using has?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Sounds like the converter is either switched off or it died.

It should run even on a 15 amp branch circuit. I am basing this on the assumption that you have a 30 amp main feed.

If it is a 50 amp I would wonder if you only fed one side of the circuit and the converter was on the other.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
yay! fixed! it was the breaker in the back -- apparently I just tripped it (whew!)