Old 09-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
ground and charge line from umbilical

See the attached pic of the umbilical from the inside of the trailer. I kept the original coloring and pattern with the exception of the charge line - it is black now instead of blue. I have a few questions:
1. The white ground line that comes from the umbilical, then to the front hold down plate - is this my main ground for the DC circuits? Does this then go to the ground bar on my distribution panel? In the original wiring, many grounds from light circuits, etc, were spliced into this in the center, ceiling area. But I took that out, ran new wire, and am home running all my grounds to the ground bus bar (with the exception of the clearance lights).
2. The charge line (the larger black line in the pic). I know that is supposed to hook into the battery - does it go directly to the positive terminal on the battery?
3. The small block on the left where the charge line is attached. In drawings, this says it is a "mini-breaker." I want to replace this, given this is 40+ years old. What should I replace with?

Thanks so much for any assistance!
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9100461.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	271359  

Old 09-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1410 View Post
See the attached pic of the umbilical from the inside of the trailer. I kept the original coloring and pattern with the exception of the charge line - it is black now instead of blue. I have a few questions:
1. The white ground line that comes from the umbilical, then to the front hold down plate - is this my main ground for the DC circuits? Does this then go to the ground bar on my distribution panel? In the original wiring, many grounds from light circuits, etc, were spliced into this in the center, ceiling area. But I took that out, ran new wire, and am home running all my grounds to the ground bus bar (with the exception of the clearance lights).
2. The charge line (the larger black line in the pic). I know that is supposed to hook into the battery - does it go directly to the positive terminal on the battery?
3. The small block on the left where the charge line is attached. In drawings, this says it is a "mini-breaker." I want to replace this, given this is 40+ years old. What should I replace with?

Thanks so much for any assistance!
Greg
Greg

This is what I used, hope this helps

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	271362  

Old 09-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
bump
Old 09-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
1. Yes. Yes.
2. Yes
3. Its a circuit breaker from the looks of it, should be available at any auto parts store or car stereo store.
They automatically reset when they cool down.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
1. The white ground line that comes from the umbilical, then to the front hold down plate - is this my main ground for the DC circuits? That depends if there is another white from the fuse panel to the shell/frame then this one would be redundant. Only need one, a second does add a little redundancy.

Does this then go to the ground bar on my distribution panel? That's the best way to do it, to the negative bar.

In the original wiring, many grounds from light circuits, etc, were spliced into this in the center, ceiling area. But I took that out, ran new wire, and am home running all my grounds to the ground bus bar (with the exception of the clearance lights).
Good plan!

2. The charge line (the larger black line in the pic). I know that is supposed to hook into the battery - does it go directly to the positive terminal on the battery? I ran mine to the positive bus bar on my fuse block so it was fused.

As mentioned it's a auto resetting 12v circuit breaker. I hate them, the notion of something protective automatically resetting really bothers me. I replaced mine with a inline fuse. Incorporated into a separate fuse panel for the other umbilical wires(lights).

I used this to fuse most of the umbilical circuits:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/503...ndent_Circuits

The negative and charge line go to my main fuse panel.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Greg, you've got a mid 70s trailer if I remember correct? Also guessing you have an umbilical that you plug into the trailer and tow vehicle.
Looking at the wires on that octopus they don't match modern trailer wiring. Normal, there was no real standard back then. However if you plug in a new standardized trailer plug into that I think you'll have electricity going to the wrong places. Take some time to get it so a modern wiring scheme will match on the back side. It'll save you heartache in the future. You may need to fab a new umbical so wire gauge matches function.
Just thinking.
Joe
Old 09-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Looking at the wires on that octopus they don't match modern trailer wiring. Normal, there was no real standard back then. However if you plug in a new standardized trailer plug into that I think you'll have electricity going to the wrong places.
In other words if the trailer has the original wiring configuration the umbilical plug will not be in sync with the tow vehicle. Good chance the trailer has been rewired at this point as the wiring in the photo is not original, but maybe not. Rewiring can be done at the 7 way in the picture or by taking the plug head off the umbilical and rewiring there, which is easier to get at.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Yes, Joe - the wiring on the umbilical is the old way. The PO had matched up the cord to make it work - but I plan on switching things around the way they should be.

Thanks for your help. On that charge line, so connecting into the + bus bar, the current makes its way back to the battery to charge, I assume. I guess I am always thinking current leaving the battery, but it does flow both ways doesn't it.
Greg
Old 09-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1410 View Post
Yes, Joe - the wiring on the umbilical is the old way. The PO had matched up the cord to make it work - but I plan on switching things around the way they should be.

Thanks for your help. On that charge line, so connecting into the + bus bar, the current makes its way back to the battery to charge, I assume. I guess I am always thinking current leaving the battery, but it does flow both ways doesn't it.
Greg
No problem. Yep it flows both ways, it can take some getting used to, just always higher to lower voltage, if the tow vehicle is putting out higher voltage some will flow back into the battery positive. Having it on the fuse helps protect the line from a short somewhere between there and the wire going back to the TV.