Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Georgia
GFI Tripping - Attaching Shore Power Procedure?

It took some time and some help from the forum, but finally determined that my Converter would trip the GFI circuit (which it is on) and unbeknownst to me it would stop charging the batteries. Well, I knew it wasn't charging, I just didn't know why.

I haven't yet determined when/why my GFI is tripping, but it appears to happen when I attach/detach from my gen. I'll be on shore power in a couple weeks for the first time and maybe the results will be different.

Wondering if I have the hookup/decouple procedure wrong? This is how I am proceeding now:

1. Turn the master battery switch to ON.

2. Fire up the Gen.

3. Wait a few minutes for warm up of generator.

4. Attach shore power cable to trayla.

5. Attach shore power cable to generator.

6. Reset GFI circuit breaker if needed.

I read somewhere that it is imperative that the master bat power be on before hooking up shore power. Not sure I always did this in the past, but I've only had it on AC power 3 or 4 times since I purchased the trailer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote