Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
GFI - how do I keep it from popping off?

We're in our second year of 'streamin and the GFI breaker has popped off on every single trip to date. I can remember being told the simple sequence for resetting it when it goes off and, to date, I've always managed to do so - after 2-3 minutes of fussin with it. It's always a dilemma to us as to why it goes off.

This weekend, as usual, it went off our first night out. For three days I tried and tried but couldn't reset the %&#@% thing. We switched the refrig. to propane and made do without that circuit the remainder of the weekend. A pain in the behind, but it worked. Also, no TV but since it is analog, it doesn't get much use - except for a Brit mystery now and then.

Now, where do I go?? The dealership we purchased our AS from has gone out of business and I'm planning a trip to JC for warranty work in October. Between now and then we would like to have use of all circuits on a couple of ten day trips we're making soon.

Has anyone suffered this same problem and found a simple answer? Any comments, suggestions or solutions are welcome. I only ask that you keep in mind you are talking with someone that finds electricals a marvel of the ages - understood only by gods so please try to keep it simple. Thank you for any assistance.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Its a GFI ...pay attention

There is a reason it is popping. The GFI is there to keep you from electrocuting yourself...not keep the TV working. Check your appliances, find the short, or just wait till you get to JC.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Start with the simple stuff

I would try a new GFI first, The quality of GFI's is not what it used to be and they are notorious for going bad. That is the easiest place to start. If that doesn't work then check appliances and than the circuits.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, what do you have in your trailer that keeps shutting the GFI off? If it is the same thing [hair dryer Etc.] then you have found your problem. If it shuts off with several different things, then you might have a weak or bad GFI. It is also possible that you are plugging in and using too many appliances on the same circuit and overloading it. [we did that once, but the campground circuit breaker tripped instead of the one in our trailer]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
is the gfi tripping (the little button) or the main part of the switch going to a center position? the first might be a moisture problem in an exterior outlet (including the one where the fridge is plugged in.) has it been wet or damp when it trips? have you just turned something on when it trips? is something plugged into the exterior outlet on the trailer? it doesn't take much moisture to trip the gfci. the following posts might help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ker-53499.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ing-44914.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Thanks for responses so far. We cannot find any common happening that we can blame the outage on. Until we go to use one of the outlets, we don't even know it has gone off or when. Since it has happened every time we've gone out, there is no common weather happening - we've been out in sunny, hot weather and in very wet, foul weather. Maybe it's my wife's hair blower - maybe something else. We do know that it isn't an overload - we've never used any two appliances at the same time.

Having followed the links above, I'm beginning to think it is probably a bad breaker. The switch is in the mid position and will not stay "on" in the up position. As I mentioned, in the past, messin with it for a couple of minutes, it has always reset very quickly - but not this time. It think looking into replaceing it is probably the solution. I'll have the professionals look at it before we venture forth again. Thank you for your comments.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote