Old 04-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #15
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
we always joke about flukes at work. they seem to be a bit erratic in high current fields.

simpsons are the best. built like anvil and highly guarded by those who have them.

john
Tell me what amperages you consider high? I've been having issues with my Flukes (87III) at wrk trying to keep at about 6.6 Amps consistantly. All of mine are calibrated and otheerwise working well.

biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Ahhhhhh, YES!........................ANALOGS!!!!!

I fondly remember the HUGE Simpson meter I had as a kid when I was building science fail projects involving high voltage power supplies for Lasers.But that was a good number of years ago. Wonder what ever happened to that meter ???????????????
Ok Here is one for you. My father gave me his old Ham radio building meter.
An RCA with Tubes. The thing is accurate and sensitive! Yes is. It still works nearly 50 years later!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc
Tell me what amperages you consider high? I've been having issues with my Flukes (87III) at wrk trying to keep at about 6.6 Amps consistantly. All of mine are calibrated and otheerwise working well.
I think he works for the power company. Lots and lots of amps thousands? tens of thousands?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Back To Reality

Hi, back to reality; A fluke meter is more than good enough for the non-professional electrician. And in most cases a test light will be all you need for checking 12 volt systems and a polarity tester for 110/120 volt systems. [I have all three: polarity tester, test light, and a Fluke 73] If high voltage/ amperage ever hits my Airstream trailer, I won't have a need for any electrical testers. (RIP)

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
The facts are in, and the results are indisputable. Fluke is the only company currently running a drawing for a new Airstream.
ah yes you are correct!

by high current i mean in the 400 to 500 amp range. the induced voltage on anything metallic is alarming. such as the tools on my bucket board and the little metal tag on my safety harness!

i have worked on adjacent circuits were one was loaded and the other was not. the unloaded line has almost half the designed voltage impressed on it by induction. not unlike the windings in a transformer.

i suspect the trouble the flukes have is with the shielding in the case. it is pretty much a moot point as i find myself just wanting to get in, get the work done and get out of the field as fast as possible.

the shielding issue does not detract from a otherwise fine meter, the fact the displays are squirrely. and i have gotten false zeros from digital meters makes me more of an analog kinda guy.

john
Old 04-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
ah yes you are correct!

by high current i mean in the 400 to 500 amp range. the induced voltage on anything metallic is alarming. such as the tools on my bucket board and the little metal tag on my safety harness!

i have worked on adjacent circuits were one was loaded and the other was not. the unloaded line has almost half the designed voltage impressed on it by induction. not unlike the windings in a transformer.

i suspect the trouble the flukes have is with the shielding in the case. it is pretty much a moot point as i find myself just wanting to get in, get the work done and get out of the field as fast as possible.

the shielding issue does not detract from a otherwise fine meter, the fact the displays are squirrely. and i have gotten false zeros from digital meters makes me more of an analog kinda guy.

john
Thanks. Funny you mention transformers because that is exactly what I'm testing. We (the company I work for) make isolation tfrs for the airport lighting industry ( every blue light has one) and We check the ratio with flukes and have issues sometimes that we cannot explain. The sheilding, or lack thereof is something I've not considered and might try a crude sheiding with some copper screen.

I apologoze for the thread interruption. I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic (reality?).
Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #21
Site Team

, Minnesota
I think anyone who works around high current needs a little shielding as well. I'm suprised John hd does as well as he has without the necessary equipment. All things considered.

Here is a small study I know of which has useful information on personal shielding.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #22
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Thanks for that laugh!! Gosh I hope it was a joke. If not no offense.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc
We (the company I work for) make isolation tfrs for the airport lighting industry ( every blue light has one) and We check the ratio with flukes and have issues sometimes that we cannot explain.
Well that explains why taxi lights are sooooo expensive!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Santa Clarita , California
They say you can enter the sweepstakes by filling out a 3" x 5" card with your name, address and a promotional code from one of their ads. None of my trade mags have a Fluke ad inside. Anyone got a promo code?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think anyone who works around high current needs a little shielding as well. I'm suprised John hd does as well as he has without the necessary equipment. All things considered.

Here is a small study I know of which has useful information on personal shielding.
Looking through that link I was reminded of the joke that sometimes goes around the firehouse. It usually involves someone you aren't too fond of, and involves the impulse to apply intra-cranial defibrillation.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmeister
They say you can enter the sweepstakes by filling out a 3" x 5" card with your name, address and a promotional code from one of their ads. None of my trade mags have a Fluke ad inside. Anyone got a promo code?
Sorry. Threw it out a month ago.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Buying one now. Wish me luck!

"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote