Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Winter Park , Florida
Generator in tow truck bed-wiring the trailer

My plan is to mount a wireless remote controlled generator in the bed of my pick-up, run a three wire feed to the rear of the 1990 excella and back feed the 110 panel through a dedicated breaker. My goal is to be able to pull in to the super walmart, crank up the conveniences and not have to go out to the tow vehicle in my pajamas at bedtime.

Questions:

Run the wire in conduit attached to the bottom of the trailer?

Would it be possible to snake the wire through a frame rail?

Is there another point of connection that would allow me to feed enough juice to run the 13,500 btu AC plus a tv and a blender?
safariuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
I would probably take a little time and wire in a second electrical plug-in at the front of the trailer. Easier in the long run than a long heavy extension cord. Just guessing but it shouldnt be too hard to drill enough rivets to feed the run through the frame inside the belly pan.
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I think you might have to remove the bell pan to run a wire along the frame, it's a C-channel in the belly not a tube like the tongue.

You might be better off wiring a plug in where your trailer plug is and just plug your trailer into that to run on the generator. Otherwise you should have a transfer switch in place to prevent back feeding power to the generator or a bare plug that can short-out or shock someone when the trailer is plugged in.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Winter Park , Florida
Thanks for your responses. The point of backfeeding through a designated breaker is that I would have to turn the breaker off or on depending on whether I was traveling or hooked up to shore power. I was anticipating running a dedicated, permanent line, with a convenient plug to hook up the trailer to the tow truck. I'm thinking the easiest way to do so would be to clamp a conduit under the trailer from the hitch to the rear and drill a few holes to access the 110 panel which is in the cabinet above the rear bed. Unless there is a more elegant solution.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The backfeeding of the panel is what I would be most concerned about. That would mean that each time you used it, you would have to turn off the main 30 amp breaker which is fed from the main power cord, and then turn on the breaker that is backfeeding the panel from the truck generator. I can virtually guarantee that at some time you will forget, or do it in the wrong sequence or someone else will and you will wind up with a live male plug either in the truck or the cord storage compartment.

Use an automatic transfer switch please. Wire it into the cord that feeds the AS, and no additional breaker will be needed in the original box. When off, it will take power from the original cord. When the generator is running, it will automatically take power from that source and de-energise the original cord. Safe, foolproof, and only about $50 to $75 for a 30 amp model.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I ran a feed wire from the rear to the front on my 1991, by pushing it thru the frame. The rear end of the run has a female 30A and the front has a male 30A.

It's somewhere in my 1991 link in my sig line. I will try to find the exact post if you want.

On edit...here it is

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...tml#post881503
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Winter Park , Florida
Thanks idroba and HiHoAgRV. Just the information I was looking for!