Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Generator for free camping

I just purchased a Safari 27' SE FB. Most of our camping( 65% ) will be free camping with no access to power. We don't plan on using the AC so I was hoping I could get by with a Honda 2000i to help keep my trailer batteries from running down. Any thoughts on this? I do like the idea that the 2000 is truly "portable".

Thanks,

Jitano
Jitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 25FB, and two of the Honda 2000's. When we are not using the AC or heat Pump, one of the Hondas is quite sufficient to handle everything else and keep the battery charged. We also run the refrigerator on electric at these times.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
We have the same trailer and bought the Yamaha 2400. It will run the air or the microwave. It is a bit of a pig to lift but does the job and is not too noisy.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
New Mexico...no AC?

Your tougher than me. I cant imagine camping anywhere in the Southwest US and not have an AC available. Bet you that you change that idea. I like that Yamaha idea....it gives you the capability at least.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Take your time buying a generator. Watch for the sales. I don't have a Honda but I do have a 3000 watt generator I got on sale for under $300. It works great. When I dry camp and run the air I really don't here the generator. Airstreams are pretty sound proof. I camp on my own land so the only creatures that here the generator are the deer and the birds. I only use the generator for making coffee, My CPAP machine and an occasional movie. As a matter of fact a magazine I got in the mail (heart land america ) has some generators on sale. One is a 2800 peak watts for $229 and the other 3500 peak watt for $299.

Honda's are awesome but how much are you going to use your generator? I went for the price. My generator has been working great. I make sure I change the oil and check the spark plug.

HeartLand America

www.heartlandamerica.com The sale ends at the end of this month.

I bought mine on sale at Tractor Supplies Last year.

Brian
Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Generator

I purchased a Yamaha 1000 from U. S. Carb. with propane addition. Will charge batteries, run the tv, not too noisy, no gas stink. I run off a valve on my tanks. Only caveat, gotta prime it with the hidden button a few times to get it to start. I keep it in the truck in a toolbox.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We went the Yamaha 2400 route, with the propane coversion. Yes it is heavier than the Honda's, 80 pounds, but it will run the AC and it is less expensive than the 2 2000 Honda setup. And it is WAY quieter than the $300 units you will find.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
You will not go wrong with the Honda EU2000i. It is a really great little generator.

Like you, I AGONIZED over the decision. I am not saying the Honda is any better than the Yamaha. Best I could tell, it was if you like red or blue. In the end, it came down to which brand my local dealer carried. He carried red, he's an authorized service center, and he matched the best deal I found online. Got mine for $899.

We lost power last winter for 2.5 days. That was a real drag, and it's never happened before. But, I have an oil furnace for backup heat (normally use the heat pump) and the little Honda was enough to run the furnace and a couple lights, or switch to the fridge and a couple lights. The little guy got us through.

I'm still not sure on the a/c thing. So many people on here say a 2000 watt genset isn't enough. The main problem is starting the a/c....it takes a lot more juice to start it than to run it. Some of the Yamaha's have a battery boost feature that will draw power from the generator's battery to give it extra oomph to start your a/c. I think that's an outstanding idea. But, my dad is an electrician and he said all you need is a big start capacitor on the a/c. We put a big start capacitor on my old Coleman Delta T and that baby would fire right up. (in case you don't already know....a capacitor is a storage device for electrical energy....you pump the steady flow of juice to it....it builds up a super charge.....then dumps it all out at once in a burst).

If the studies show the Yamaha will start your a/c and all is well, then that's a pretty hard thing not to like. But I can tell you, as a super skeptic of everything and a technodweeb with a PE in Mechanical Engineering, the Honda is good joojoo.

I plan to get a second one. But for now it does all I need, except the a/c.

Best of luck whichever route you go. Either blue or red is good stuff!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I run a pair of the Honda 2000's without A/C I can get by on one. Yamaha's are decent units too. Just have a longer history with Hondas. Be aware of the fact there is a new Honda combo on the market in the 2000ui series. Apparently they can be hooked up without the extra cable, one has a 30amp plug and one doesn't. IIRC it is a Companion series and they whack you some extra money for it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
I love my Honda 2000. It works great for all I need Microwave, coffee maker, it will run the fridge, keep batteries powered ect. But it will not run the ac. We tried it once and it ran for about 30 minutes then shut off. It has a safety overload so you won’t damage it.
And being only 40 or so pounds it is great. Also it will fit just behind your propane tank cover. I think I had to move the cover about an inch.
Mike
Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
. . . Be aware of the fact there is a new Honda combo on the market in the 2000ui series. Apparently they can be hooked up without the extra cable, one has a 30amp plug and one doesn't. IIRC it is a Companion series and they whack you some extra money for it.

Aaron
Yes, they do and there is an upcharge in cost. I've checked into it myself. Problem is, the 30 amp receptacle is NOT an RV 30 amp, but a twistlock 30 amp plug. One less cable, but you will need an RV plug adaptor. And the Companion doesn't have the watt meter or the built in circuit breaker that you get with the parallel adaptor kit.

I have a Honda EU2000i and it has performed flawlessly (without A/C). I agree with the red or blue statements. Either a Honda or Yamaha won't do you wrong.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I'm with some friends here at Madison and they chose the 3500 generators sold at Tractor Supply for $299.00. Although they are not using the generator at the rally they have used them to run their a/c's without any problems. When I get back to Texas I belive that is the route I will take also.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Why focus only on generators? For less than the price of the Honda 2000, you can get a 120 watt solar panel mounted permanently on the roof and a charge controller to go with it. After the initial expense there is no maintenance, no fuel, no handling and no noise.
Go Green. I did this on my 25' Excella and have been extremely pleased.

I also bought a 12 VDC LCD TV that works great with this set up.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #14

2007 19' Bambi
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hi all. I bought a 19' Bambi last month and am new to the forum (trying to sell my 89 Westy, too). I am also looking to buy a generator for the primary purpose of recharging the batteries and running the TV/DVD now and then. The local tech here said that either a 1000w or 2000w will provide the same trickle charge to the batteries. But, the trickle charge would not be sufficient to recharge the batteries and that I would need a battery charger to actually recharge the batteries.

The Bambi came with a roof mounted solar panel. But, after one night of camping, and a cloudy day, the battery meter was in the yellow.

Any suggestions on how to maintain the batteries while dry camping for 2-6 days would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
RTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Here are the options I looked at when we decided we needed a power source because we boondock %90 of the time.

1, Honda 1000 for battery charging and occasional movie watching on a laptop.

2, Two Honda 2000's. You can use one in winter for battery recharging and hook up the second in the summer if you want A/C.

3, Solar panel. That will keep your batteries charged but if you live on batteries you do without TV, microwave and make your coffee on the stove.

We have a solar panel and a Honda 1000. The panel keeps us powered up and we use the 1000 to watch the occasional movie.

We are different than most in that we boondack in the desert all summer long and don't use A/C. We like the heat and our comfort zone is between 85 and 115 degrees. We just open the windows and run the two roof vent fans.

Good luck.

P.S. Yes Honda's and Yamaha's cost more but It's worth every penny to me not to hear a generator pounding away outside the window. I am not trying to start a generator war but the db ratings don't lie.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
Why focus only on generators? For less than the price of the Honda 2000, you can get a 120 watt solar panel mounted permanently on the roof and a charge controller to go with it. After the initial expense there is no maintenance, no fuel, no handling and no noise.
Go Green. I did this on my 25' Excella and have been extremely pleased.

I also bought a 12 VDC LCD TV that works great with this set up.
Not everybody has clear sunny non stop days. I have been in places where if you saw the sun twice a day for for a week you were considered fortunate.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Jitano

Wow. I really appreciate all of the responses. Very helpful. Now all I have to do is be sure of my needs and I am good to go.

Jitano
Jitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
RTravis,
Just a couple of ideas. My 23ft Soverign came with 2 batteries and can last a week. We usually don't watch TV and only use radio when wanting to prolong battery life. Candle power for when just a little light is needed also works to save 12v consumption. If the funance is used because of cold snowy weather we can last about 4 days with those batteries before they are too low. I don't keep the inside at a toasty 75 but more like a toasty 60.
If you intend to use the TV and microwave etc. I would suggest, just as you are thinking about, and that is a generator. There are volumes on this site about generators and usage of them. Just do a search and you will find lots of reading on that subject.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I do not have a generator yet. However my decision is RED. I recently had occasion at a local flee market to see a EU3000is in action.IT was powering a large ac in a motorhome. I am acquainted with the gentleman that owns both. We did visit while resting on top of the EU3000 and were able to carry on a normal conversation. Be aware that Honda also has come out with a 3000 that is 1/2 the weight of the EU3000 and has built in dolly. I think they gave up a few db's in noise but its still quiet and thats what ya need in some enviroments .
Although pricey I think my money will be on an EU3000i when I finally purchase.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Our 2000i runs the AC just fine and keeps the battery charged too. No you can't run the Microwave at the same time. The newer AC units are more efficient in starting and running.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote