Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Fuse questions

The 12V circuits in my '63 Globtrotter are connected directly to the battery, no fuses and no switch to shut off the battery. I have been unable to locate fuses anywhere, don't know if it ever had any or if someone before me changed the wiring. From what I could tell, it came from the factory (Ca.) like this.

I am installing a Blue Seas marine battery switch on the positive side of the battery and will wire as follows: battery to switch ( 4 guage wire) then switch to the circuits ( 12 guage wires with in line fuses).

Do I need a circuit breaker or fuse between the battery and switch and if so what size or will just fusing the circuits be ok? What size fuse should I use on the individual circuits? I was thinking 20 or 25 amp. The '63 was very basic no Univolt involved.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i am by no means an expert on early 60's trailers. however, i do believe there is a fuse panel in the front curbside of the trailer.

behind a panel as i recall, should be a white porcelin fuse holder with glass screw in fuses. looks like it was designed for 120 volt, but used for 12 volts.

perhaps someone with more experience will chime in.

i can always stand to be corrected!

john
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Have not found them

Is the panel on the interior of some trailers because I have no panel on the interior. I do have a small panel on the belly near the right front that is riveted , I have not had this off but it is my understanding that this is where the exterior light connections are made to the harness. It is not something that would make for ready access to a fuse. I guess I need to hear from another '63 GT owner, if its got fuses somewhere I need to find them.

In any case I still plan to change the wiring and still need to know the fuse sizes the '64 used 25's in the circuits and nothing between the battery and switch.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote