Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Manheim , Pennsylvania
In April we parked in a Walmart parking lot, it got cold that night, we ran the furnace, in the morning the battery was down to 50%. We were unplugged from the TV. I won't do that again. The furnace simply uses too much power. We will probably buy a generator or a buddy propane heater in the future.

Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
For us, this is one of the biggest advantages of 600 watts of solar and 2 Lifeline 6v AGM batteries (300 ah.) wired in series. We can run the furnace all night, deplete the batteries by about 20%, and the next morning by about 10 a.m. our batteries are fully recharged. It's not inexpensive to install, but IMHO if you plan to do much WalMart or other boondock camping the trouble-free nature of an adequate solar system is worth the cost.

WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
For us, this is one of the biggest advantages of 600 watts of solar and 2 Lifeline 6v AGM batteries (300 ah.) wired in series. We can run the furnace all night, deplete the batteries by about 20%, and the next morning by about 10 a.m. our batteries are fully recharged. It's not inexpensive to install, but IMHO if you plan to do much WalMart or other boondock camping the trouble-free nature of an adequate solar system is worth the cost.
Except for when it's been overcast for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
When traveling in cold weather and spending the night in a Wal-Mart parking lot or rest stop, I know the furnace fan will draw down the battery relatively quickly. Especially if it is very cold.

Thus a few questions: If the AS is plugged into the TV is there a risk of also depleting the battery in the TV?

When traveling will the TV charge the batteries in the AS?

Thanks!
So normally I always unplug from my truck. Last Sunday we were in Bryce, UT and the temps dropped down into high 20's at night. Forecast called for overcast and scattered showers for the next couple of days. So we decided to pack up and head down to Sedona. We stopped overnight in Page, Arizona and did just this. Left the Airstream hooked up to the truck and we still ended up using the furnace. As far as I can tell, the draw from the furnace during one night is not enough to effect the Tow Vehicle. It started without problems, and we were on our way.