Old 10-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Furnace and battery question

Our 2015 FC 28 on driveway getting ready for next weeks SC Alumilina Ralley. Since furnace has never been tested, thought I'd take care of that this cool morning. On battery power only, I started the furnace, fan blew about 1 minute then no ignition. Battery disconnect was in USE. Propane on and stove burners worked. Battery monitor in unit showed 12.2, then after failed start, 11.2. I plugged in to my garage 110 with 50/110 adaptor. Furnace started immediately. Is this normal? I thought the batteries would at least work the furnace! Could my batteries be bad already?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
I had the exact same symptoms this summer. Since you got the furnace running via shore power, it doesn't seems to be your blower fan or sail switch.

I think your batteries are going, especially if your registering 11.2. That means they're not holding a charge even though you were just plugged into shore power. Do you have the stock 1-stage Converter? If you haven't replaced it to a 3-stage, then I can guarantee you "one year later" your batteries are weak. It takes DC power (batteries) to have the furnace kick on. So even though you'll be hooked up to shore power at Alumalina, you run the risk the batteries won't supply enough power to the furnace during the start up phase.

I suggest replacing batteries.... and when you get back from your trip, think about replacing your Converter. The stock 1-stage converter fries batteries. There is a lot of information on the forum on which and how to replace it.

Good luck.... see you at Alumalina!

glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Hard to say whether they are bad, but they could be since dealers do not take care of them pre-sale. Certainly your batteries were way too low. You need to fully charge them and do a load test to see if they are bad. Qualitatively, if they do not fully charge and/or will not hold the charge long, they are bad.
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
glcranger, my local Camping Worlds only sell WWC (Chinese converters). Are they a reasonably good alternative? Also, what type and brand batteries do you recommend? I really hate these wet OEM batteries. You have to disconnect all of the wires just to check water levels.

Thx and look us up next week.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Batteries are probably not bad, but are more than likely too low to allow the furnace to kick on. The furnace operates on 12v only and when hooked the 110 goes through the converter to 12v to power up the furnace. Charge the batteries up to full and then try it. You have deep cycle batteries, like in boats and airplanes they can get very low and come back fine.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It's likely that between the abuse your dealer inflicted on your batteries pre-delivery and the unintended abuse you subjected your batteries to by leaving the coach plugged into shore power for extended periods of time damaged your batteries. It's not at all uncommon for new trailers to need new batteries pretty much right away. Try and see if you can get new ones under your warranty.

There is a lot of misunderstanding out there about the meaning of "deep cycle" batteries. It does not mean that you can draw the batteries way down and then they will come right back. Starter batteries (the kind you find in cars) are designed to provide a very high amperage for a very short period of time (to start the car.) Deep cycle batteries are designed to provide a more modest amount of amperage over an longer period of time. If you run a deep cycle battery to less than a 50% charge more than a few times, or if you leave them partially discharged for long periods of time, or if you run a full charge on them all the time (as the stock Airstream charger will do) you will rapidly degrade the batteries.

Here is a link to a pretty good site with some information about batteries applicable to travel trailers:

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Just give them batteries a good charge,I always used the stock converters and my batteries always lasted for 6 years, just add distilled water if needed once a year,.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you intend to keep your trailer for some time, you might consider a good solar charging system if you store outside. Batteries will always stay charged, but not get burned up. No need to be plugged in. Batteries will seldom need water added. 50 watts will keep batteries charged. If you dry camp, 200-300 watts will do well with two group 27 batteries.

Ends charging concerns. Ends "Do I have the right converter" concerns. I have never heard anyone say they are sorry they added solar.

No, I don't sell or install (only on my trailers) solar systems, just love them on both trailers.

No, it is not cheap, but neither are batteries or Airstreams.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #9

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
DeltaRon: I was on the road when my batteries went dead so got the same OEM batts. I recommend the Lifeline AGM 24s. I'm getting those with my solar package on my new 2016 (ordered). I think your 2015 battery box can handle the AGMs.

Converter: I replaced the OEM converter with the Progressive Dynamics (Model # PD4655). Go to BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. This is NOT chinese. Many airstreamers replace their converter with this model since its designed as a replacement kit for the OEM converter. I had a friend install mine at the last Alumalina.... she swears she'd never do that again! But, you can get tips on the install while you're there.

Good Luck.

glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote