Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Full Charge - No Charge!

Using the monitor on the range hood my batteries will show a full charge faithfully for two or three weeks and then, the next time I check, they're deader than a doornail! I've yet to catch the monitor in a 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 charge state. I plug the trailer in for two or three days and the batteries are good to go again for the next two or three week period. This, of course, is while the trailer is sitting inactive in my drive. What's causing what appears to be a sudden death of the batteries? I'll admit that it could occur over the period of a week or so when I fail to check the monitor - but this has been going on for some time now (---most of last winter) and I just find it peculiar that, like I said before, I've never caught the batteries in a partially discharged state.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
My question to you is, how old are the batteries? If they are 5 years or older. It's possible that they can hold a charge for a week or two, then just loose there charge. Or it possble that you my have a short in a wire some place down the line doing a small trickle charge off? I kinda had the same problem with a boat battery once. I would charge it to 90%, use the boat for about two weeks off and on, then go out to the boat and as you stated dead as a door nail. It turned out my fish finder had a short. It slowy drained my battery that was about 6 years old. Old enough not to fully recharge. Well that my 2 cents worth. Good luck
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying
My question to you is, how old are the batteries? If they are 5 years or older. It's possible that they can hold a charge for a week or two, then just loose there charge. Or it possble that you my have a short in a wire some place down the line doing a small trickle charge off? I kinda had the same problem with a boat battery once. I would charge it to 90%, use the boat for about two weeks off and on, then go out to the boat and as you stated dead as a door nail. It turned out my fish finder had a short. It slowy drained my battery that was about 6 years old. Old enough not to fully recharge. Well that my 2 cents worth. Good luck
It's the "partial discharge" thing that's bugging me! I know that the LP and CO2 detectors will eventually drag the batteries down - but I've never caught them in a partially discharged state. I believe that a simple solar panel may be the answer to my dilemma since it's output would probably take care of the detectors drain - as well as any other drain on the system.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote