Old 04-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Flooded cell or AGM

Been using flooded cell batteries and the old Univolt. I changed the converter last year to a new 4 stage one. Now I need new batteries. Which should I get, AGM or flooded cell? I can get group 27 into the battery boxes. No, I am not going to lithium batteries.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I'm getting ready to buy my battery too. I'll be following along.
No lithium here either.

Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
My 6V flooded golf cart batteries work perfectly for me. They have 230AH and can be cycled deeply to 80% DOD with fewer number of cycles but equal total amp hours of life. The only reason I would change to AGMs is for 1) no maintenance or 2) no gassing which allows you to place them inside the Airstream.

-Stick with flooded batteries IF you are good with 230AH located on the tongue.
-Buy AGMs if you want 400AH located inside the Airstream.
-Buy 200AH or more of Lithiums if you want to use a 2000W inverter or other high amp draws (over 80A).

That's my reader's digest version of this debate.
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It's a cost thing - low cost wet cell - medium cost AGM - high cost lithium.

My approach has been to use wet cells unless otherwise justified; AGMs would be used if the location needed to be moved inside the coach; lithium would be used if low tongue weight was required and one battery would support the needed capacity or if the cells needed to be moved inside and much greater capacity was required. The punt is the 6 volt solution, either wet or AGM.

Given the recomendations of others, AGMs pay for themselves over time. That is not everyone's experience, hence my wet cell use. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Been using flooded cell batteries and the old Univolt. I changed the converter last year to a new 4 stage one. Now I need new batteries. Which should I get, AGM or flooded cell? I can get group 27 into the battery boxes. No, I am not going to lithium batteries.
Our 2 Lifeline AGM's lasted 11 Seasons are now powering our emergency sump pump.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel its supposed to be done"..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I'm with AirMiles. He laid it out succinctly.

In my humble, but very technically informed basis of opinion...

Value and capacity wise, 6Vs absolutely take the cake. With the different ways one can kill a battery, one will generally never see the expected marginal additional longevity of an AGM, over a 6V golf cart battery. The 6Vs will cost less than half of AGMs, to procure or replace.

Skip the 12V flooded and AGM.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
Make sure your charger is suited for an AGM if you go that route. We replaced our flooded and didn't know why we weren't getting a full charge. AGM batteries charge at 14.5 volts (don't quote me on exact voltage range) Turned out my old charger wasn't putting out a high enough voltage. I purchased a CTek 6 amp charger/maintainer that works awesome, is made for AGM , and can be left on for months with it's maintaining capabilities. While we're in shore power I usually have the battery isolated, running my 12v systems off the sperate converter.
It's not the more sophisticated setup like the newer multiple stage charger/converters but it works great.
Lithium should have a charger suited for that battery type as well
wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #8
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I operate my 2000 inverter with 4 EGC2 golf cart batteries. 460 total AH at 12 volts. Cost $440. The inter-connecting cables were about $5 each, made up of marine wire with heavy duty lugs.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I operate my 2000 inverter with 4 EGC2 golf cart batteries. 460 total AH at 12 volts. Cost $440. The inter-connecting cables were about $5 each, made up of marine wire with heavy duty lugs.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/comp...teries-series/

Golf Cart batteries are great for 10A loads and will actually outperform Lithiums at that load. See the above linked article. But, a 2000W inverter can draw 2000/12=166.7 amps. That is equivalent to an 83A load on a set of four golf cart batteries. Again, from the above article, we see that even at a 50A load, four golf cart batteries would be below 50% state of charge in 45 minutes. Your 460AH battery bank running a 100A load will only last 45 minutes and therefore will only provide 75AH of usable capacity. AGM batteries perform very similarly. Lead Acid batteries (both wet cell and AGM) are great for low amp draws (10-20A) but "Peukert's law" makes them a poor choice for high amp loads.

On the other hand, Lithium batteries hold up well to high amp draws. Again as demonstrated in the above linked article, a 100A Lithium battery will provide nearly 100AH of power at both a 10A load and a 50A load. With Lithiums, amps in equals amps out. So a 200AH bank of Lithium batteries would probably power a microwave for over an hour where a 230AH bank of lead acid batteries would probably only power a microwave for 15 minutes.

I run my microwave on generator power while dry camping. If I wanted to run it from my battery bank, I would install at least 200AH of Lithium batteries so that I would not completely deplete my batteries with a few minutes of microwave use. My golf cart batteries work perfectly for all my use except for the microwave and hairdryer which are best used while running my generator.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Richland , Washington
Hi,

Is there a particular brand of AGM you recommend? We are going to be on our 3rd soon (luckily we purchased extended warranty). Works well for one Summer but doesn't make it through the Winter. My partner bought it, so I don't have details on our current brand/model.

Pam
PamsCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Pam - you are discharging the battery to below 50% of it's charge. That is below 12.2 volts. Measure the voltage after the battery has rested with no load for 10-20 minutes. Often coaches have parasitic load that kills the battery while in storage. Disconnect the cables if you are not going to use the coach for a month or more. There are several good brands. Search the battery threads for the experience of others. Blue box at upper right. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Lithium's are actually the lowest cost option *if* you look at how long they will last. Wet cell / golf cart / 6V batteries are rated in the 800 cycles range. On a similar basis Lithium's are rated out around 5,000 cycles. If you get 10 years out of wet cells, Lithium's should last you for > 60 years . Lithium's with built in BMS setups are "self protected" so you can't destroy them anywhere near as easily as a wet cell.

======

To get the full capacity out of something like a Trojan 6V T-105 you need an "interesting" charger. Take a look at Trojan's spec sheet for all the details. They charge them a bit harder ( = higher voltages) than a conventional / stock charger will run to. If you put them on a conventional charger, the result will be less than a full ( = their specified max) charge.

That's not in any way a knock on the T-105's. They are fine batteries and Trojan is a great company. It's simply that you need to customize your charger to get full performance out of them. It's a rare forum member who runs capacity tests on batteries so .... who knows what this or that person is getting for capacity. Is it 220 AH or 230 or 210 or 200 or .... If it's 200, then you didn't beat AGM's ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Lithium's are actually the lowest cost option *if* you look at how long they will last. Wet cell / golf cart / 6V batteries are rated in the 800 cycles range. On a similar basis Lithium's are rated out around 5,000 cycles. If you get 10 years out of wet cells, Lithium's should last you for > 60 years . Lithium's with built in BMS setups are "self protected" so you can't destroy them anywhere near as easily as a wet cell.

======

To get the full capacity out of something like a Trojan 6V T-105 you need an "interesting" charger. Take a look at Trojan's spec sheet for all the details. They charge them a bit harder ( = higher voltages) than a conventional / stock charger will run to. If you put them on a conventional charger, the result will be less than a full ( = their specified max) charge.

That's not in any way a knock on the T-105's. They are fine batteries and Trojan is a great company. It's simply that you need to customize your charger to get full performance out of them. It's a rare forum member who runs capacity tests on batteries so .... who knows what this or that person is getting for capacity. Is it 220 AH or 230 or 210 or 200 or .... If it's 200, then you didn't beat AGM's ....

Bob
"IF" That's the problem I have with Lithiums . . . no one has gotten 60 years out of a set yet, but I know that some have ruined them in short order by charging them incorrectly.

I agree with what Bob said about golf cart wet cells. Most RV chargers are not designed to charge at the higher voltages required by golf cart wet cells and it will hurt their performance. I only charge my golf cart wet cells from solar with a custom charge profile programmed to exactly meet the battery manufacturer's specification.

My experience with many sets of golf cart batteries is that they can take massive abuse and still perform well. I don't think they are easy to damage at all. I frequently discharged multiple sets of golf cart wet cells until the golf cart stop moving and would just charge it back up and go over-and-over again. I bought a golf cart that was ten years old with the original batteries that sat uncharged for years. I just charged them up and continuously ran that cart until dead for a couple of more years. Golf cart wet cells are tough and can be discharged to 80% without damage.

Let me explain the 80% discharge. My 230AH batteries are rated for 1000 cycles to 50% and 700 cycles to 80%. http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...lyer-0919B.pdf At 50% cycles you get 1000 cycles at 115AH totaling 115,000AH of life. At 80% cycles you get 700 cycles at 184AH totaling 128,800AH of life. You actually get more amp hours out of a set of these batteries with 80% discharge cycles. Plus, when you deep cycle to 80%, your charger stays in the most efficient fast charging Bulk stage longer.

I too am not dissing any type of batteries. Each has benefits and therefore the choice is up to what is important to you.

Golf carts: Cheap, 230AH possible, 80% discharges, heavy, need watering, can't be installed inside Airstream, inefficient at high amp draws.

AGM: Pricey, 400AH possible, 50% discharges, heavy, no watering, can be installed inside, inefficient at high amp draws.

Lithium: Expensive, 600AH possible, 80% discharges, light, no watering, can be installed inside, efficient at high amp draws.

If I wanted to run a high amp draw microwave, I'd buy Lithium's. If I had to put the batteries inside on a budget, I'd buy AGM's. If I just need a cheap pair of batteries with 184AH usable power, I'd buy a pair of golf cart batteries. Each battery has its place. Choose the one that meets your needs and budget.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
🤓

With BMS built in how would you charge 'improperly?'
I don't see ruin, the only result of a wrong charging profile, reduced performance...or not?🤔

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel its supposed to be done"..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote