Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Flickering Shore Power Light

Hi All
Well our water heater bit the dust on monday (in our house) and I don't have the time to fix until the weekend, so after a few coooold showers my wife had the idea to shower in our AS, Yeah!. I opened the rear compartment and noticed the shore power light flickering? Everything is working normally as far as I can tell. I installed an intellipower a few months ago and have not had any problems. Any idea's? My guess is just a loose wire but I would think a fuse would have blown but all are okay. I will check connections before I work on the water heater. Its nice having a second home when an crisis comes up. We used the AS as our home for twelve days after Ike knocked power out.
thanks
James
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Are you sure it's the shore power light? The real shore power light was powered by a separate circuit in the old Univolt, so if you didn't make other arrangements (like using a wall-plug type 12V transformer) to power it, it should be dark.

The other light, one that is usually in the back and mounted outside of the shell, is the 110V polarity light. If that light is on, either your power umbilical is wired backwards or the shore power connector is backwards. This is very dangerous if the shore power connector doesn't have a good ground, since the polarity light acutally makes the shell hot in this case.

Zep
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1975 29' Ambassador
Greenfield , Massachusetts
I just picked up a 75 Ambassador and this light "in the back and mounted outside of the shell, is the 110V polarity light" isn't working.

Where can I get a replacement bulb for this?
Also is there something else that I should be concerned about because this light isn't working?
msieber109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by msieber109 View Post
I just picked up a 75 Ambassador and this light "in the back and mounted outside of the shell, is the 110V polarity light" isn't working.

Where can I get a replacement bulb for this?
Also is there something else that I should be concerned about because this light isn't working?
The polarity light will not light if the polarity is correct. The light being on is a bad thing. It means the hot and neutral wires to your trailer are reversed and you should disconnect the shore power and correct the problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1975 29' Ambassador
Greenfield , Massachusetts
Thank you azflycaster. When polarity was mentioned I was starting to think that I had a problem. So, no light on is a good thing.

Thats good news..
msieber109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Here is the light that was flickering, now its not. Its on when we are pluged into power and off when unplugged, the switch below turned off the power to charge the battery when we had the old univolt so it would not boil it.
So I assume its the shore power light but I installed the new power converter and did not use a 12 volt like Zep suggested.
thanks
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery Light.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	77554