Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
ok. so I finally got the info from the dealer. The factory battery is a 24 group, Interstate SRM 24.

...I realized that it is a "cranking" battery and not a deep cycle...
the srm 24 IS a deep cycle battery...

at least it is interstate (or johnson controls who makes them) 's version of a deep cycle.

and the hours at various "amp loads" is another way comparing capacity.

so now compare these with agms GRP 24s for capacity.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
Package ($800) plus batteries ($420) plus installation ($575) equals $1,795 versus $2,800 from AS. The difference covers cost for another panel and and inverter.
Ok, the price went up. My solar option was around $1800.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Just a thought...if you've ordered a new rig to be built, perhaps AS has an 'option' to install a slightly larger battery box that will accommodate a pair of Group-27 batteries, to give you 200 AmpHr's...

Ray
Old 04-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Ok, the price went up. My solar option was around $1800.
That was a good price.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Hard to beat this system from AM Solar - AM Solar's SunRunner RV100-22B Solar Electric System for RVs . Perhaps your dealer can install?

Attached is a the battery box lid design I had made to accomodate Lifeline (2) GPL-4C. Yields 220 amp hours @ 12V. Finished lid looks like it came from the factory! Any metal fabrication shop can make a similar lid with this design relatively inexpensively.

As was mentioned, a high quality 3-stage charge/converter is key to managing/maintaining healthy batteries. I went with the Xantrex XADC-80 and upgraded wiring, plus 2 more GPL-4C's inside for a total of 440 amp hours. With decent sun exposure, energy is never our constraint.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream battery box lid.pdf (12.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Ostream, thanks a lot for the drawings. I was thinking of cutting the side of the factory battery box but your set up is much better. I can now upgrade the amps/hours of my batteries.

I am still undecided between the AM Solar kit or the AltE store. They are similar in price but the AtlE store has 130 watts panels therefore 260 watts versus 200 watts on a 2 panel set up. The AltE panels are Kyocera which is a great brand. The charge controller of the AM Solar system seems better than the AltE store but still "weak" for future upgrades if need be.
I am still unsure if I have enough room on the roof the 27FB international to get two of the 130 watt panels. I tried to get drawings of the roof of my "under construction" 27FB Intl from Airstream but so far nothing...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostream View Post

Attached is a the battery box lid design I had made to accomodate Lifeline !
Thanks for this box design. I just had a local sheet metal place in Santa Monica CA put this together out of stainless. looks great!! Ordered my batteries today and am jazzed to set up.

have a Yosemite trip planned just at the crack of spring and it's going to be cold, needed more battery time for the furnace. also ordered a small Yamaha 1000 watt generator to supplement my solar as a backup.

thanks so much for sharing this!!

cb
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Right on!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Lincoln , California
Enlarge battery box

What about cutting the bottom of the battery box off about 2 inches up from the bottom and welding a 1 or 2 inch piece in. You retain the original bottom and the bottom is still higher than the spare tire from the ground. This will allow a couple of 6 volt AGMs. It does increase the hitch weight. You can still open the storage door.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
When we replaced our two Group 24 Lifeline Batteries (we have factory solar and the rig cam with two Group 24s) we were told that we could fit two Group 27s in the battery box by removing the plastic tray that sits below the batteries. I know others have done this with success. However, we ended replacing the 24s with new set of Group 24's because I was uncomfortable about buying the 27's and then having hassles in getting them into the battery box. The 24s are stuffed in there as it is.

By the way, after replacing the batteries, I put self-adhesive weather stripping along the top edge of the box (so that it would be between the box lip and the lid) to keep moisture and dirt from getting in through the top of the box).
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Last Tuesday I changed out my stock Interstate SRM 24's with two Interstate GPL24T batteries. They fit perfectly. Also installed an AM Solar SunRunner Signature 100/25/6 Pro solar system with four 100W panels. Since I'd already swapped out the stock charger/converter with an Iota DLS 55, I have now changed all of the stock components in my new trailer. Oh, I did get the inverter package, but I'm contemplating a Magnum pure sine wave as my next foray into watts/volts/amps. When I look at what the factory charges for a solar upgrade and an inverter I really understand the value of DIY.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
some optima specs:
Optima Battery Optima Batteries Free Shipping! Best Service! Deep Cycle Batteries Yellow Blue Red Top Optimum

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
For anyone interested in Optimas, the company below sells them for Prius's (which use a very small and hard to find size). I recently asked the owner if he sold other Optima batteries, because Costco quit carrying them; and he said that he could get any Optima size, but he hadn't had any requests for anything other than those that fit the Prius.

In any case, his prices are the lowest I have found, and he ships free out of Sylmar, California. I ordered my third battery from them on the Internet after midnight one Sunday night; and it was delivered in Phoenix, Tuesday at noon.

When our two Optimas in our Airstream and the battery in our Tundra need replacement, I'm ordering them from this company.

Optima D75/25 Yellow top

Notes:

1. The link above is for a Prius battery. However, it navigates to eLearnAid's web site where you can get information on marine deep cycle batteries. I think we have Optima D34M Blue Tops in our 19-foot Bambi.

2. I have no affiliation with this company other than being a satisfied customer.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
I wanted to update this thread:

1. the cover ostream designed was the talk of everyone who saw it on my trailer. the Dealership even wanted me to make a bunch for them! (i didn't)
2. the 2* Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V fit like a champ and i think i used my generator once or twice and didnt need to - with only 140 watt panel on the roof of the FC20.
3. I was frequently at 100% by noon while camping in CA [victron battery monitor]
3. i sold the Fc20 and upgraded to a 28' and put more solar up top, but am using the same 2 batteries. note the 2016 battery box is deeper and they fit without modification. OTOH - i may do the mod in the future because then i can get even taller batteries!

cheers! thanks again OSTREAM!!

chris