Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Washington, DC , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If you are going to stick with the stock charger with new batteries for awhile then I would at least put the trailer into "store mode" when you are hooked up to shore power and only put it into "use mode" for a few hours to manually charge the batteries when you first reconnect to shore power after having been disconnected for awhile, then put it back into "store mode" until you disconnect from shore power at which time you can put it back into "use mode." When hooked up to shore power and in "store mode" absolutely everything works and since you have the AS factory solar package, the solar system acts as a trickle charger and will keep the batteries charged for when you are not on shore power. If you leave the trailer in "use mode" while hooked up to shore power you will destroy your new batteries in short order. I know it's frustrating and Airstream could have solved this issue by using a $200 piece of hardware instead of a $50 piece but that's the way things are.
Yep, that makes sense @AnnArborBob -- thanks.

When I do flip into "use" mode while on shore power and I want to charge up the battery for a bit, should I be watching the volts or the percentage (as reported by the solar charging system monitor)?

In other words, what's my indication that the battery has received a charge and I can flip back to "store" mode?
paulsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Thanks for the info Bob. I always wondered about the store mode when hooked up to shore power but I assumed wouldn't work with the store mode. Good tip.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsingh View Post
Yep, that makes sense @AnnArborBob -- thanks.

When I do flip into "use" mode while on shore power and I want to charge up the battery for a bit, should I be watching the volts or the percentage (as reported by the solar charging system monitor)?

In other words, what's my indication that the battery has received a charge and I can flip back to "store" mode?
There is no easy answer to this question as you cannot really judge a battery's state of charge using a voltmeter while the battery is still charging, you need to let it rest a bit with no charge or draw (ideally for an hour or two) then take a reading and see where you stand. Eventually, you will gain a "feel" for how long it takes to get you from 12.3 volts (for example) to 12.6 volts (a "full charge.") A three stage or "smart" charger can do this automatically so, in a sense, this guessing game is the price you pay to avoid paying $300 +/- for a basic three stage charger (of course you can pay more and get more features - probably the best deal going for a high quality programmable inverter/charger is the 1000 watt Magnum MMS1012 inverter charger for about $850.) Remember that even if you use the "store/use" approach outlined previously, the stock Airstream charger is still rough on your batteries no matter how careful you are so, in my humble opinion, not spending a couple hundred dollars on a smart charger to protect an investment of $600 to $1000 (or more) for high quality Lifeline AGMs (the best non-LFP battery solution out there right now) is penny wise and pound foolish. If resources are tight, and/or you really want to hang on to the stock Airstream charger for your own reasons, then I'd really have to suggest sticking with the some lower priced RV batteries and just resign yourself to replacing them on a regular basis. You might come out ahead financially in the short run, but at some cost to the "camping experience."
Old 12-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Washington, DC , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
There is no easy answer to this question as you cannot really judge a battery's state of charge using a voltmeter while the battery is still charging, you need to let it rest a bit with no charge or draw (ideally for an hour or two) then take a reading and see where you stand. Eventually, you will gain a "feel" for how long it takes to get you from 12.3 volts (for example) to 12.6 volts (a "full charge.") A three stage or "smart" charger can do this automatically so, in a sense, this guessing game is the price you pay to avoid paying $300 +/- for a basic three stage charger (of course you can pay more and get more features - probably the best deal going for a high quality programmable inverter/charger is the 1000 watt Magnum MMS1012 inverter charger for about $850.) Remember that even if you use the "store/use" approach outlined previously, the stock Airstream charger is still rough on your batteries no matter how careful you are so, in my humble opinion, not spending a couple hundred dollars on a smart charger to protect an investment of $600 to $1000 (or more) for high quality Lifeline AGMs (the best non-LFP battery solution out there right now) is penny wise and pound foolish. If resources are tight, and/or you really want to hang on to the stock Airstream charger for your own reasons, then I'd really have to suggest sticking with the some lower priced RV batteries and just resign yourself to replacing them on a regular basis. You might come out ahead financially in the short run, but at some cost to the "camping experience."
Yep, I hear ya @AnnArborBob -- I was thinking the same thing earlier this evening. I ordered a PowerMax PM4B-60 and it should be here early next week. It was less than $200 shipped and seems like a reasonably simple/smart upgrade to do while I'm depending on the Lifelines.
paulsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Yep, I hear ya @AnnArborBob -- I was thinking the same thing earlier this evening. I ordered a PowerMax PM4B-60 and it should be here early next week. It was less than $200 shipped and seems like a reasonably simple/smart upgrade to do while I'm depending on the Lifelines.
Smart move, best of luck!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
You might want to wait to install it until after you get some resolve with that batteries. I personally wouldn't jeopardize a possible warranty claim and have the new converter be blamed if your batteries are toast.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #27
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
If you are going to stick with the stock charger with new batteries for awhile then I would at least put the trailer into "store mode" when you are hooked up to shore power and only put it into "use mode" for a few hours to manually charge the batteries when you first reconnect to shore power after having been disconnected for awhile, then put it back into "store mode" until you disconnect from shore power at which time you can put it back into "use mode." When hooked up to shore power and in "store mode" absolutely everything works and since you have the AS factory solar package, the solar system acts as a trickle charger and will keep the batteries charged for when you are not on shore power. If you leave the trailer in "use mode" while hooked up to shore power you will destroy your new batteries in short order. I know it's frustrating and Airstream could have solved this issue by using a $200 piece of hardware instead of a $50 piece but that's the way things are.
Agree. I am using the stock converter / charger and I switch between use and store mode as needed to charge the batteries. I monitor the voltage with my solar controller display. I decided to upgrade my solar system by adding more panels and a new controller with a 3 stage charger instead of replacing the stock converter. I use my solar panels and solar controller to charge and monitor voltage on my batteries more than 90% of the time. If you have a solar controller that uses the 3 stages to charge your batteries and enough solar power to charge your batteries in a few hours then you do seldom need to use the converter for charging batteries.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote